Project High Expectations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project High Expectations.

As most of you know (some of you don't) I took my S10 Xtreme on Power Tour and long hauled in 2011 and it is sitting as the daily driver for now.

Well today silver_bullet and I picked up a new project for me. Its a 91 GMC S15 with a 350.

As I was pulling it into the driveway today the oil filter exploded.
    We also lost a bearing buddy tonite
    The plans are unsure at the moment but it will be a DD
    Sean
    LH 2008,09,10,11,12,14
    Drivin' it home!
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...h-Expectations.
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
    But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

This looks like fun.....4-speed? 5?? Need to jack it up some.......
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

He's got enough ideas already "Fred"... Don't encourage him...Some of that money from the new job needs to go towards school!! Mama and Poppa are pretty proud of him tho... I guess you could classify it as educational too... alright... the more the merrier; let the ideas fly... he'll sort em out...
      Last edited by silver_bullet; March 7, 2013, 03:29 AM.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Is that a 4x4 I've never seen a V8 in a 4x4 as of yet that was'nt just off road. Lets see some under the hood pics. Cool project.
        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Nice
          I once had a 2wd s-10 blazer with a 383 in it. The posi made it a handful in all but dry conditions. Not ideal for a daily driver
          I don't recall seeing a on road 4x4 s-10 either. It looks like fun!
          A.K.A. Brian
          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

what kind of lift does it have ? straight axle of IFS ? did the rear end get upgraded ?
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

sweet.... lifted and a v8 - both are the right idea for any s-10
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

beefier diffs, that thing could be cool as hell...I digg it.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

looks like a nice toy
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

There are M-B Diesel into S-10 threads on line if you're thinking about something like that. There are also adaptors to the the GM trans and I think they work with 4WD if you want to retain that (an interest that frankly escapes me). Bentsen's makes the adaptors - they're on line.

Dan

Comment

Seans at work right now, so, with dad just getting home, i will put a little update on it...
                      Thanks Dan for the input... your advise is greatly appreciated, and based on your recommendation, I think we'll keep it gas for now and fix what we got... as for the oil filter, there is evidence of close proximity to other objects combined with a cheap a$$ oil filter and 50 PSI oil pressure... hopefully filter and fluid change will sort that one out... I'll let Sean add the details later...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I feel kind of stupid I looked over the photo's again today and can see the 4x4 stickers. What motor are you running and when can we see more pics with the engine.
                        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Thanks everyone for the compliments
                          Ed: the trans is a th350
                          BOOOGHAR: it has a 4 inch suspension lift IFS with a 2 inch body lift.
                          The motor is a 350 with a edelbrock intake with a holly carb.
                          Underhood:

Interior:

Rear end seems to be a newer blazer 7 5/8.

Oil filter that decided to comitt suicide:

Last edited by AMeanXtreme; March 7, 2013, 05:41 PM.
                          Sean
                          LH 2008,09,10,11,12,14
                          Drivin' it home!
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...h-Expectations.
                          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
                          But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Comment

Never had an oil filter pop before. What's that say about the motor? I think I would keep an extra oil filter and a gallon of oil in the truck for a little while just in case it pops again. Unless you plan on wheeling it I think a 4,5,or 6 speed swap would be cool.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

I can't pull up the filter number right now but AC makes a shorter filter with the same screw-on base (maybe a PF24??). Anyhow, I'm thinking that filter can contacted something and failed at the stressed spot. Usually if a filter is overpressurized it fails at the gasket or at the crimp (top piece to the can) but not the can itself. The shorter filter would tuck it up higher. Worth thinking about anyhow.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X