Clear All

• I was thinking more along the lines of:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	330px-Carry_On_Abroad_%28movie_poster%29.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1204067
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• ah, it's all clear now
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• What are they calling "portal"???
        The Rockwell front axle with the drop in up top pumpkin?
        Not getting your terminology..

Comment

• portal axles

Comment

• More parts

that don't work

these don't work either

close, though

that way doesn't work either

a bit of ramp testing (aka, rock wall testing)

and need to adjust cross arm too so I can turn left when stuffed

it will kind of clear, but the deal is I need to use the smaller TREs (the ones that cross in front of the axle and don't have 30 degree range of motion

more testing

full stuff, full turn, no rubbing

I did have to make a shim

I'll have the correct TREs tomorrow, but outside of that, it's done

I drove it, and while it does desparately need an alignment that corrects the toe, it drives pretty nice (which is surprising given there is a difference in angle between the cross shaft and panhard

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              portal axles
              Ohhh. Like early VW bus/van and Unimog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Ohhh. Like early VW bus/van and Unimog.
                yep, Volvo and H1 Hummer too... Volvo portal axles are the most popular at the moment, but there's companies now making the H1 Hummer portals more useful for solid axle vehicles.

Comment

• Be careful you might run over that fern.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Ferns are the cockroach of weeds here.

Comment

• There's a couple of companies here who do portal boxes for Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol axles, not to mention a couple in England that do them for Land Rovers. So you now see Nissan Patrol wagons with 6" lifts, portal axles and 37" tall tyres tearing up trails that my IFS/31" tyre Challenger can cruise along with no issues. And they do it while rolling coal out their straight through 4" pipes. Which means any track I might want to explore is now behind a locked gate.
                      Sorry, portal axles have a stigma here due to the idiots who use them. They have a valid use but you have to ask if you REALLY need them. Espcially when you're using them on public access trails that a largely stock vehicle can use with no problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                        There's a couple of companies here who do portal boxes for Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol axles, not to mention a couple in England that do them for Land Rovers. So you now see Nissan Patrol wagons with 6" lifts, portal axles and 37" tall tyres tearing up trails that my IFS/31" tyre Challenger can cruise along with no issues. And they do it while rolling coal out their straight through 4" pipes. Which means any track I might want to explore is now behind a locked gate.
                        Sorry, portal axles have a stigma here due to the idiots who use them. They have a valid use but you have to ask if you REALLY need them. Espcially when you're using them on public access trails that a largely stock vehicle can use with no problems.
                        yes but we can lift our vehicles, or completely replace the entire suspension without ever talking to an engineer.....

Comment

• Portals have their place, but it seems to overcomplicate things and add a lot of expense....
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            Portals have their place, but it seems to overcomplicate things and add a lot of expense....
                            correct, on large, heavy trucks where lifting them with springs would make their already terrible ride unbearable - or for very specific reasons like the H1 hummer...

Comment

• derail alert. I love putting stuff like this in a thread because it so doesn't fit. Beagle has nothing on me. So I have a honey do list and I also have my going-camping-in-3-week list... so what do I do today? not one damn thing on any list
                              I got a cheap, and boy do I mean cheap (think scrap steel cheap), Italian lathe. Made in 1960, it's 14x36 with a taper attachment

this has to be the easiest unload I've ever done

it's 3 phase and I'll use a VFD to convert single to 3 phase. I'm fortunate in that I have a friend who plays with electrons....

In other FJ40 news
                              hubs are on

Comment

• Good deal on the lathe!

Comment

Working...
                                X