School Me On Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Me On Facebook

Guys, I need more info. I'm pretty cautious online and self-edit even when I post on forums (even here) (no phone numbers, addresses, etc.) so I worry about opening myself up on social media.

My kids and Grands are pushing me to sign up with Facebook but I'm pretty leery. Some specific questions:

1) If I limit access to family, what's to prevent the Facebook people from making the account available to others, say, advertisers?

2) If I decide this isn't for me, what happens to whatever I posted and/or read? Does it just hang out there in the Interwebs or is it wiped out? I'm very aware that online is forever.

3) Anything else I need to know?

Thanks

Dan

Post on the internet only what you wish (or don't care) what the world sees. I tend to post stuff that wouldn't surprise anyone who knows me in person.... that doesn't mean not stuff that could be disagreeable, but stuff that anyone who knows me in real life would say "yep, that's Aaron"...

Always limit your conversations to 'friends' (pay attention to the post button which tells you who you're allowing see your posts).

FB can do whatever they want with your posts, but right now they don't change your broadcast level.

FB makes money from advertisers - so does your evening news.... I guess the question to you is what are you worried about? them taking control of your brain and making you buy or do something you wouldn't normally do?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It took me awhile to find.....in frequent questions I think, you can put your account to sleep, if you change your mind or you can delete it completely.

My page is pretty sparse and for friends only.......
      like I've got friends......ha !!

Comment

FaceBook is the Devil. If you must use it, lock-down everything in Settings as tight as you can and only put in the bare minimum of data. They are big brothers network analysts .. this is a large part of your digital footprint. Beware ...

Comment

When I broke down and signed up, many folks wanted to "friend" me.. Alot were silly posts.. What parties, where they ate, etc.. I have since "unfollowed" several people and "unfriend" one.. Whittled it down to folksI want to keep in touch with..
          Like on here, I made a "no politics, religion chats" They are toooo easy to get out of hand..
          Scroll is a very good tool. Scroll past bs you do not want to read, alot!
          I enjoy it now..

Comment

I keep mine real quiet.
            same as internet.. join groups I am interested in.
            nothing more.

if your life complexity level is beyond a kindergartner, the social stuff sucks.

I gave up on it being a friend maker a long time ago.
            sneaky people. Call me broken.. that is what I think of the slimy internet.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

FaceBook is the Devil. If you must use it, lock-down everything in Settings as tight as you can and only put in the bare minimum of data. They are big brothers network analysts .. this is a large part of your digital footprint. Beware ...
              PREACH IT, BROTHER MONSTER!
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Thanks for the input. As you can probably tell, I'm NOT wild about this idea but the kids think I'm not interested in their lives because I don't follow their Facebook stuff. Evidently, that's how they know what's what in each other's worlds. I've asked that they drop me an Email from time to time but evidently that's asking WAY too much.

Aaron - my issue with the advertising is that I simply don't want to be bothered with it - I get way too much as it is. I spent a few $$ with Eastwood (like the MIG) but now they want to "include" me in every "exclusive" offer and they're not the only ones. I'd delete them but on rare occasion they DO have something I'm interested in so I guess that's the price I pay. Anyhow, I don't need more of that junk.

Guess I'll have to research how to make the tiniest possible footprint if I decide to go forward with this.

Dan

Comment

As per what most have said , just keep things pinched down to friends and family and you'll be fine . I don't get into dicussions on the internet with anyone out in the wide open web about politics or religion . Although anyone can p.m. me and I will tell one on one what my positions are on those . I just don't want to get ganged up on or gang up on anyone else .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                    As per what most have said , just keep things pinched down to friends and family and you'll be fine . I don't get into dicussions on the internet with anyone out in the wide open web about politics or religion . Although anyone can p.m. me and I will tell one on one what my positions are on those . I just don't want to get ganged up on or gang up on anyone else .
                    Getting ganged up on sucks donkey balls! Some folks think I should follow their agenda, not my own!
                    I tried to send a pm and sent a reply on the guy's timeline.. Luckily he was online and deleted it as I asked.. Most stuff has the delete button, some does not.. Be careful there..

Comment

Thanks for the input. As you can probably tell, I'm NOT wild about this idea but the kids think I'm not interested in their lives because I don't follow their Facebook stuff. Evidently, that's how they know what's what in each other's worlds. I've asked that they drop me an Email from time to time but evidently that's asking WAY too much.
                      Are they out of college by now? I ask because teens today refer to Facebook as being for old people. They are using Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat - and anything new on the fringes. Remember, they are trying to differentiate themselves from parents and older siblings - so to establish their own identity - they explore the edges, using new stuff we haven't even heard of.
                      Last edited by studemax; July 20, 2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Every time us old people catch up with their technology to stay in touch, they move on and we're out of touch again.

Comment

BINGO yet again, Sir Monster.

Comment

Well I'm guessing that this is " MY " Facebook, Bangshift!
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Could you set up a junk email account, and set the account up as Kingfords or some other alias. Put the wrong city, age, and what ever else you want to make up. No one will find you. You will have to tell your kids / grands it's you.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X