Vehicle Licencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Licencing

Hi does anyone know if the Aussie guys that do dragweek each year in their dodge are on here ? as I have a question about owning and licencing a car in the USA while being from another country (Australia) as myself and a mate are looking at buying a car and leaving it at a friends house in Kansas so we can fly over and compete dragweek each year. Does it have to be registered in an americaan citizens name ? can we get temporary tags/insurance for each time we are there ? or can we register and insure it in our own names without any issues ?

There are a whole lot of "undocumented workers" driving around the U.S.A. everyday with vehicles registered to someone . . . . (but most of them seem to be uninsured . . . (at least the one who drilled the back of my pickup was . . . .))

I've never had to prove citizenship . . . or even who I was . . . when registering any vehicle over the past three and a half decades. But each of the 50 states** makes its own laws on vehicle registration, and they may have tightened things up since the start of the "Global War on Terror."

Each insurance company probably has its own policy on insuring vehicles owned by citizens of other nations. But Wacky Mick and the Aussies all seem to have acceptable insurance at check-in so somebody must do it.

Have fun!

------------------
    That's "57 states" among certain sectors of the American public . . . .

Comment

Doesn't that guy from Australia (Farrone I think) go by TTWedge here?
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Farrone ships his over. There is another Australian guy that keeps a 62ish dodge in the states and does drag week with it although I didn't see him in 2013. I don't recall his name.
        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Yeah John Faraone and Jake Edwards took their cars over from here but I am wanting to buy a car there and leave it in the states so I can do dragweek for a few years in a row bringing a car from Australia means that it must leave the states within 12 months of getting there or large fines are issued

Comment

if you trust your buddy in kansas just have him put the car in his name and register it you should only need to insure it for the weeks you plan on driving it during drag week and of course reimburse him for the cost

Comment

Yeah that is what we have been looking into just the entry to dragweek wants you to prove ownership and insurance so not 100% sure how that would go

Comment

Originally posted by CHARGA View Post
                Yeah that is what we have been looking into just the entry to dragweek wants you to prove ownership and insurance so not 100% sure how that would go
                I have friends that have registered other friends cars and had no problem. The rules just say that it can't be a rental car. My dad and I are building a car this year that will be in his name but I will register it and drive it.

Comment

The way it works in NC to get tags you have to have a NC Driver's license and insurance. You have to have a few things to get a DL one an address for your residence. Its been a while since I got new insurance. Can not remember if they require a social security number? But other than that its just vin address and cash.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

You can register the car in your name and use your friends address. Most state regisration only require you to have an instate address not a state driver license.
                    Jim & Maureen
                    There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                    HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

I would have your friend in KS call the local DMV to make sure but my son used to work at one of the county couthouses in KS and do vehicle registrations. He said it is no problem for someone outside the US to register a vehicle in KS. Really easy if it's an antique (over 35 years old).
                      Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
                      Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

The guy from Australia with the white dodge 4 door is Glen Lidgard. His buddies first name is Russell, but I can't remember his last. Hey, is there any chance you can help a guy find some Aussie parts for a 1968 AMC Rebel? Good luck with your licensing issue!

Comment

Working...
                        X