Oh no....bad tire wear....2006 Chevy Express 3500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no....bad tire wear....2006 Chevy Express 3500

Since my Magnum is still in deer induced body shop jail, I've been driving the van more.

I have been noticing a slight difference in how it steers. Just doesn't seem to go straight like it used to, not without more frequent driver input than it used to require. Along with that I have noticed a very slight inclination to pull to one side or the other when first applying the brakes. Only right away, then its even and straight braking.

And then yesterday, I noticed that the inside of the tires is wearing LOTS more than the outside. Almost like the camber is off, but I find it hard to believe that both sides lost camber equally and at the same time.

I'm thinking there may be something worn causing Toe to go wonky, and its showing as camber wear due to light scrubbing?

The truck is a 2006 Chevy Express 3500 one ton 2WD with 116,000 miles on it. Only issue with it is the anti-lock brake stuff crapped out a few years ago, so both traction control and anti-lock dash lights are lit.

The front suspension components should be the same as a 2WD pickup of the same rating.

Anyone have this happen to them?

Both sides are worn exactly the same. Its not down to the wear bars on the inside, but its sure getting close.

Last edited by STINEY; March 22, 2017, 06:16 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

When I worked at the GMC dealership from 1999-2001 it was very common for the trucks at that time to need camber adjustments under warranty. Probably the same design in the 1-ton's in 2006?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

How fast you taking corners.. If camber is fine . it could be hard cornering and /or worn a-arm bushings..

Comment

Interesting, thanks. Do you know if it was wear-related or did something actually move?

It just really strikes me as odd that both sides suddenly did the same thing and at the same time.

Comment

the idler arm is shot. it's allowing it to go toe-out while driving... very, very common GM truck problem.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Just got back from my friends shop. I wanted a second set of eyes to watch for movement I was missing.......nothing seems loose.

The idler seems tight. Not to argue, as that was my prime suspect too. How does one check it for play? It's been greased regularly.

Comment

it will move up and down (vertically) when you try to move it with your hand.

Comment

I noticed our trailblazer is warn heavy on the the inside driver's side a little worse. Hopefully It Can Be Adjusted. The tire noise has gotten bad so maybe an alignment will make it better.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

If you have a port-a-power.. you can put it between the frame and rim and load the lower end of the wheel and see how much the a arm bushings are deflecting ..
                  They used somewhat soft rubber so the ride was less harsh.. The h/d work vans got stiffer bushings..

Comment

I would tend to believe that the old bushings are suspect...
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

balljoints.
                      it is also an age to start camber adjust after figuring out what is wrong.

The torsion version is a tricky for balljoint checking, the coil springs even more difficult.
                      I watched a shop do it in seconds on a machine for this kinda repairs.
                      in one move they judged all steering mechanism, and in another, each balljoint individual.

replace in pairs.

I was headed for life and death..no clue until they showed me the slop.
                      I was left with final adjust on my own. Simply needed camber after all adjusted.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I didn't know this, but when I ordered the idler for my Denali; it now comes as 2 part numbers - the ball joint is one, and the pivot is the other... thinking it's the pivot on yours. Ball joints do cause wear, but rarely both side plus there'd be cupping.... dunno, still on for fixing the denali this weekend, I'll try to take pictures and maybe a video if it's bad enough to demonstrate the problem.

Comment

All wear stuff, tedious.
                          Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                          1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                          1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            I didn't know this, but when I ordered the idler for my Denali; it now comes as 2 part numbers - the ball joint is one, and the pivot is the other... thinking it's the pivot on yours. Ball joints do cause wear, but rarely both side plus there'd be cupping.... dunno, still on for fixing the denali this weekend, I'll try to take pictures and maybe a video if it's bad enough to demonstrate the problem.
                            That would be great, thank you.

Took it to the only alignment shop around here that is trustworthy (from reputation, not personal experience, yet)

Owner said it looks like bad front shocks to him. Really? He said on a stiffly sprung vehicle like this that when the shocks go bad instead of bouncing loosely instead the tires will quickly pogo on bumps, causing my wear.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but as the shocks are originals from 2006 and 116,000 miles I suppose new shocks and an alignment couldn't hurt.

Though that will wait until the SBG IDLER TUTORIAL episode is released. The way this suddenly changed a few months ago I still suspect a worn component somewhere.

Comment

It could also be those auto crosses you do in your van....

Comment

Working...
                              X