2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - Police Package brakes and Daytona 18" wheels swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - Police Package brakes and Daytona 18" wheels swap

We bought the Magnum new with 32 miles on the clock, been daily driving it for 11 years and it now has 115,000 on it.

The brakes have never been outstanding. Adequate, yes. Awe inspiring? More like Yawn inspiring.....and occasionally butt-puckering as you wonder if the brakes are really going to stop the #4200 behemoth in time. Swapping to Premium Ultra Super Dooper pads admittedly does improve them substantially, but also adds a real neat SQUALLING as you come to a stop.

MInor gripes about what has been an overall good car. BUT that's no reason not to improve on things.

So setting out to decipher part numbers from different LX platform models, it turns out that the Police Package cars (and a couple of other models) recieved larger rotors and twin piston calipers with correspondingly larger pads. Interesting. It also turns out that the spindle itself is the same part, merely requires a different caliper bracket.

NAPA has the part number for just the bracket, and the other bits too of course.

And for some weird reason, there is also a part number at NAPA that combines a rebuilt caliper with the bracket. For the same approximate price as the bracket by itself. I cannot imagine why this would be, but that's what I bought.

I have been gathering the parts over a couple of years, and the last thing I needed was 18" wheels to clear the new larger brakes. The SXT came with 17" wheels by the way.

FInally found a nice set at a decent price.

Last piece of the puzzle is my frugality. So I waited until I needed new tires. Finally the old tires were down even with the wear bars on all four, and with winter coming on the time was now. Ordered new TOYO tires a couple of weeks ago and installing everything last weekend.

Part numbers are visible on boxes

[/IMG]

Put new premium pads on rear at same time.

New TOYO Extensa HP 245/55/R18 tires and wheels are ready. (old tires were 215/65/R17)

I wanted something to channel rain really well, these sure look like they will do the job.

Installed new rear shocks, brake pads, and wheels tires. Not sure the Big-n-Little effect works on this wagon?

New caliper bracket compared to old one.

New front pad size compared to old.

New dual piston caliper compared to old single piston caliper.

This swap should include new flexible brake lines. I did find enough room to reuse my SXT lines by loosening the line crimp bracket and sliding the line rearwards in the bracket about 3 inches, but where the line fastens to the caliper has a different angle. It works, but the line kicks out at a weird angle and is not tucked in nice like it should be. I will be changing this soon. (sorry, no pictures yet)

This is actually a straightforward swap. The calipers fill with fluid easily if you crack the bleeder and wait for them to weep. Couple pumps is then all it takes to get the air out. (there is a right and left caliper with different bleeder positions so be warned, they are easy to mix up)

Before

And after

Of course what the pictures do not show is the much better ride from the larger wheels (and new tires always help too) and the significantly better stopping feel. It does not have a "throw you through the windshield" feel, but rather a powerful "no worries" feel.

Very happy with the results.

Last edited by STINEY; October 18, 2017, 10:40 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Sounds like win to me!

Comment

Nice upgrade! When is the hellcat engine going in?
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Great write-up Stiney! That's a really valuable upgrade to make... I like the new wheels too, they take a couple of years off of it.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Rear pursuit package brakes soon to come.....chasing parts now, should be here in a few days
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
          X