rubber mounted Mid plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rubber mounted Mid plates?

I'm thinking abou possible mounting solutions for an engine that never had an automotive transmission bellhousing made for it. It will need an adapter, or maybe a mid plate. The folks who have already done this are making adapters use thick aluminum (1-2") for the adapter and I'm not wild about them or their cost. I was thinking about using a mid plate but don't want the vibration of a hard mount for the mid plate. I did some preliminary searching for what is pretty much a floating mid plate, but I'm not really seeing anything.

The question here is whether you guys have seen anybody successfully use a rubber isolator on a mid plate mount? Would it make any sense if the Engine, Trans, and Midplate were all rubber mounted?

TIA
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

What about some sort of polyurethane product? Is that the word i'm thinking? That hard plastic stuff. Something that could be easier manipulated to fit.
    Last edited by chevybuytroy; March 6, 2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

don't laugh. Hockey pucks... just wondering if anybody has done it.

Comment

I buy that stuff by a 8ft section and make body lifts out of it. I can turn it on my lathe to whatever diameter i need and drill. No hockey pucks.....

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          Would it make any sense if the Engine, Trans, and Midplate were all rubber mounted?

TIA

It would if all three lines of mounting could somehow be adjusted/confirmed to be carrying their appropriate share of the load, under all conditions incl. static & max torque both directions (accel and decell). Engine/trans centerlines can be measured to slump a little when mounting points are too far apart or not appropriate for where the weight is, there is nothing wrong with using additional points if they are...well...tuned, to do their part of the job. Aluminum (imo) is for racing, or where all sections are thick enough that there will never be flex (think, machined billet). Otherwise, steel rules where it's going to have to take a thumpin' over time. What we normally think of when we say mid-plate, such as for a drag car, is a solid-mount stressed chassis member part for weight savings and part for convenience...that's a different thing than what you're needing here.

Comment

get some 5.0 mustang motor mounts or some other off the shelf part and attach one side to the plate and the other to the frame. How is the mustang coming?
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Mustang progress = glacial. I'm in moving mode more or less. It has been sort of tense around here for numerous reasons, not much in the mood to work on a car I care about. Last I looked at it, I need to order a belt that is an inch longer or change the lower pulley. I am not sure it didn't wind up with the Lincoln pulley which is an overdrive pulley (huge). I already boxed and moved the BBK "race" pulley but I think that would be the better answer.

Loren hit on what I'm worried about. If I make an adapter out of aluminum it's gonna be thiiiick. I was thinking I'd prefer to have the engine setback instead of a 2" aluminum adapter. It's a diesel so I don't really want any kind of solid mount to the rails. I'm probably over-thinking it, but it doesn't cost anything to overthink something until you start buying parts... which gets me back to the "moving mode" I'm hating right now. haha.

Comment

Oh yeah moving. Throw as much away as you can sell stuff. Moving sucks. When it comes time rattle the cage I can put a tape on the crank pulley on the 89
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

I'd mount front and rear, make the mid mount floating..
                  With something rubberish, or nylon.. In the middle..

Comment

Working...
                  X