Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

project winter beater or cheaper then buying rims and tires (s10 Jimmy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HA the wiring would be a nightmare still trying to get the GA wired and that car is dirt simple. 4.3 will probably stay for now but if ti ####s up again it;s being ripped out
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

not a lot of work but only have about an hour when i get home form work till the sun goes away (work 1pm to 9pm)

Click image for larger version

Name:	jimmy14.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	1162915

also this pump should die in a fire. being a cross over year it has a TBI PS pump in the CPI bracket so pump has to come off to get the bracket off because GM

Name:	jimmy15.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1162916

the bolt is right in font of the camera behind the pump

Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Yep. Ran into that same learning curve on the 4.3 I harvested for the Willys CJ-2A project. Had to buy a puller to add to the toolbox arsenal.....puller does work very well, but there is simply no way around it. GM really pulled a good one there.

The parts do clean up nice though.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

ok plans for jimmy have shifted slightly the block is warped sooooo needs an engine

friend from work gave me a 95 305 TBI which i lovingly call the free oh five

i also have the free powertroke turbo (same one used on the rotsun)

you may know where i am going with this

issues the truck is a 95 this means obd1.5 BS i have to contend with

my plan so far is to run dual computers ave the factory one drive the ABS. Cruise, A/C, and the 60e wile having a obd1 computer run the engine.

i was thinking of sticking to TBI for now and not turboing it or going to a MPI intake and set up and using a TPI harness and computer not 10% sure yet

also when the heck did LS stuff become cheaper then SBC???? i literally can not find a set of vortec heads for under $600 at my yards

still need to get this done before winter

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
            I saw a guy on a S10 forum that put a Explorer GT40 motor in with a T5. It actually fit very well in fact it fits better then a SBC.
            Funny , I hear that it's easier to put a SBC in a ranger than a SBF . ( according to my wifes cousin that did one )
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

so picked up a TPI intake for it and going to try messing with megasquirt. figure use jimmy as the test vehicle then i can transfer it over to the GA or by another one and fuel inject the ga

Comment

Sounds cool, please post up you lessons learned if you do the MS. That's my plan if I ever turbo the mustang. Do you have a carb and intake in the corner incase the snow comes early?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

yup it's only cast iron one but i do and the GA has a good q-jet on it

cool thing about the MS is at first all i need to control is fuel (batch fire at that as the micro does not support sequential) as a HEL will handle the spark might use the MSD box i have. then later i can try messing with spark control (after winter)

and for the trans all i need is a throttle position sensor, engine coolant temp, tach signal, and the vehicle speed sensor from the trans.

trying to think how to get two computers to read the same TPS and tach signal with out interference

Comment

reading material

Name:	jimmy16.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1165189

so far what i get is i have one of the easier trucks to phsically get the engien in there

the exhaust on the other hand.....

Comment

soo started taring the 4.3 down (easier to get it out with out heads on) and got the upper intake off full of gas so the spider was dead any way brand new spider too boot

Name:	JImmy17.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1165227

also the truck has a crank sensor need to see if this is a signal the trans needs instead of tach

Name:	jimmy18.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1165228

the frame on this thing is mint though even with the body rust and damage

Name:	jimmy20.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1165229

Name:	jimmy21.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1165230

and this is where the head gasket was leaking. right down the side of the block

Name:	jimmy19.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1165231

Comment

new engine the 1995 305 or 350 guy said it;s a 305 numbers say 350? don't care engine was free

Name:	jimmy22.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1165299

has the exact same front dress as the jimmy engine this was in a no cruise, no a/c manual trans stripper 2500 4x4

Name:	jimmy23.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1165300

harness is trashed but not using the tbi stuff so no biggie has a brand new distributor on it. and the larger factory alt

Name:	jimmy24.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1165301

Comment

this is also the first small block chevy i will ever be messing with

sounds wrong doesn't it LOL

Comment

only thing left is motor mounts bell housing/converter, and exhaust

Name:	jimmy26.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1165504

also cleaned up a lot of the cut wiring off of the 350. it looks like it was originally in a van before it was in the truck

Name:	jimmy27.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1165506

Last edited by Mater; July 3, 2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

what have i done.......

Name:	jimmy28.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	1165916

Name:	jimmy29.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	1165917

Name:	jimmy30.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	1165918

sigh

Comment

Looks like you're missing a couple circuits.

Comment

Working...
                                X