Great Pumpkin Mustang build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    I vote Beags official Great Pumpkin Mustang program director.

I was thinking annoying sycophant but that works too

(and google will wonder why sycophant suddenly because a hot search term)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 10, 2017, 07:06 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I was thinking annoying sycophant but that works too

(and google will wonder why sycophant suddenly because a hot search term)
      Curmudgeon would be more accurate... still mad about the spline count?
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

why would I be mad? I'm right. Perhaps you forgot about the Fiat? I went through all of this when I had the axle shortened..... I was just being nice not mentioning it.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

mention it all you want... cuz shortening a 28 spline axle for a 31 spline carrier would be a bad idea and it's best to get that kind of thing out of the way right up front. Then again, if all it is going to do is be a cash and labor intensive parts hanger, it doesn't really matter all that much.

There's about a million pages on the internet for axle swaps, pumpkin offsets, spline counts, and all that for 8.8 into just about anything. I'd say put a spool in the 7.5 and get some 4.10's out of a 4cyl Ranger, but I never could find a full spool for a 7.5. You didn't happen to see one in your travels through the land of misfit rear ends did you?
          Last edited by Beagle; January 11, 2017, 04:48 AM.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind. The crossmember for the transmission is in a different place until 1982 I believe is when they changed. So alot of kits to make a newer style transmission work in these will not work.

87-93 brakes work pretty well when all functioning properly, better than my factory 84 brakes did, I stayed 4 lug. I think the 80 stuff is even smaller than the 84 stuff. Suspension though the sky is the limit with a fox body.

My car was built almost exclusively with 2nd hand parts. I got great deals on most of it.

They are a light fun car.

Comment

IIRC,(sorry, 1992 was a while ago I used a later model Double Hump trans crossmember in my '79. Car was originally a C4, we went to a toploader behind the Cleavland. To get the trans mount to line up with the crossmember, I vaguely remember having to grind off the welds on the crossmember where the tubes that the bushing are in were welded to the crossmember. Once the tubes were freed up from the crossmember, and everything was mocked up, we just slid the crossmember fore or aft on the tubes to get the crossmember to line up with the trans mount, tube was tacked under the car, then removed from car, bushings were removed, then we re-welded the tubes to the crossmember.....

Comment

The late model double hump trans crossmember was to wide bolt in my 79. I just used the stock cross memeber with the T5 and open headers it worked great. With a grinder, drill and a welder it would not be to hard to update.
                Last edited by Russell; January 11, 2017, 02:13 PM.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

That's been my biggest concern with this Mustang...the amount of differences between 1979-early 1982 and "the rest". The brakes are different, everything seems to be cheaper or smaller, hell I had to modify the heater blower motor resistor I bought so it would work on the car.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I thought the 79-86 V8 brakes were the same as the 87-93 4cyl brakes? At Maxton when I got over 125 I took the long shut down

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Since I started playing Fox with late model v8 cars, I'm ignorant of the mounting bracket changes, but I think Jonathan or BBR may have pictures in their build threads somewhere. I'm getting bad CRS in my old age.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/transmiss...79-1993/p/CM1/

"This transmission crossmember will directly fit all Fox Body Mustangs that have a 4-12" mounting dimension between the crossmember mounting brackets. However it can still be used on Fox Bodies that have a 2-1/4" mounting dimension by simply relocating the mounting brackets."

I'm telling ya man, you need a sponsor. Hit up CJ Pony Parts or LMR? Oh... forgot about something... if you do a weak suck turbo kit, you can probably put a 3" single exhaust in there.

Here's my thinking on that. You don't need a ton of airflow until you start spinning the wee out of a 302. With the stock Explorer cam, spinning the wee out of it isn't really a reality, but it'd be fine for spooling up a turbo for enough torque to split those fragile little 8.2 deck blocks. The turbo is going to consume a lot of the gas expansion, so dumping it out a 3" single might just work fine, and you probably wouldn't even need a muffler.

Think of all the weight you'll save. It's all in the name of economy, of course.

(you guys keep this up, I'll be looking for my hammer and monkey wrench and looking to see if I still have a car in the garage.)
                      Last edited by Beagle; January 12, 2017, 04:52 AM.

Comment

(you guys keep this up, I'll be looking for my hammer and monkey wrench and looking to see if I still have a car in the garage.)[/QUOTE]

Do it!

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          I thought the 79-86 V8 brakes were the same as the 87-93 4cyl brakes? At Maxton when I got over 125 I took the long shut down
                          This is correct.

I routinely go 130+ on my stock '83 brakes. Non-power even. Yowza.
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I have 87-93 GT brakes front and rear a 84 master cylinder and brake booster (still power). I have never had any issues at all stopping my car. I can with alot of braking make the first or second turnout on most tracks. I don't but I am fairly confident I could. I also used the factory brake hoses off of the 7.5 housing on my 8.8 so dual exhaust over the axle is probably not a great idea.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	50629016325__598E8A26-A7FD-4932-9635-8D46BD01356F.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1141500Rotor was effed...badly...and tons of grease and shredded rotor everywhere.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	50629616173__9713E080-2501-4ED9-84C5-4CEB97465202.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1141503And the pads from the driver's side. Note the front pad. Not pretty.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X