Smithberg Racing - Projects in the Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smithberg Racing - Projects in the Shop

A few guys that I've talked to recently asked how come I haven't posted much in here lately. Well......been that busy! Been working on some really neat projects and have made some things for my new shop so I figured I'd group some threads together and keep updating as I go to share with the Bang Shift guys! To start it off and get some up to speed, I built myself a new shop in 2012 (still not finished) and have been working away on the inside. Huge thread here: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...ing-a-new-shop

All of the past Engine Masters efforts 2010-2012: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...re-we-go-again
    And because of this effort I have developed some cylinder head CNC programs for the Factory Iron Head, Hot Heads Aluminum, and now even a Dodge D-500 is in the works.
    The strip had a nice race/show. Western Fuel Altered's Nitro cars / Alky cars plus a nice sized show. The pics are not great due to the suns position and my

Gene Adams has been working away on a new aftermarket block for the Early Hemi and I have also been developing a Modern Single Plane Intake Manifold to work with the CNC programs and give guys another intake manifold option:http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...e-plane-intake

Another neat project was a last minute mercy call to help out the guys who built the 1940 Ford that won the Riddler Award last year. Talk about an amazing experience and meeting some big named people in a little Nebraska shop: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...ridler-40-ford
    That has progressed in an opportunity for myself to help build a one off design for a 409 W engine:http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...hevy-induction Alot of work has gone into this one since I started out with Raw Hilborn Castings to make it work on the 409. You should see the car its going in..........WOW!!!

With the new shop I've needed more tools to do the job. Some of these things are very expensive or I have found ways to improve them for my needs. Here are a few things that I have made recently. Here is a CBN/PCD Head for my vertical mill to do surfacing operations.
    Before

Finished

In use and the finish it leaves

Crankshaft V-Blocks to be able to lightweight crankshafts and do keyway operations. Mostly done in the pic with raw materials below that I started with.

Finished

Have made a bunch of little tools and fixtures along the way but these were a couple of the larger projects built from scratch!

I have a ton more to share here soon. Also if any of you are on Facebook here is my Shop: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smith...24572780930205
    Nick Smithberg
    www.smithbergracing.com

And your air compressor??
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Good to see you Nick, thanks for the update! I forget about FB, too easy to get stuck in a loop of cats and people's food. Doh!
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        And your air compressor??
        Ahh yes, how could I forget to post that! This was my shop compressor replacement pump that was a little over a year old..........

The rod decided to exit the side of the block to create a nice window! Check out the quality bore finish. Its rough bored (with chatter marks) and not even honed! No wonder the thing took forever to pump and and consumed some oil.

Fixing the block and opted to rebuild what I had. Figured I could probably do a better job and risk getting the same thing with a replacement pump again.

The first startup it pumped up about a minute faster than the old pump and the rings aren't even set in yet. Hopefully it does me years of service! Repaired for about $130 and some of my time.
        Nick Smithberg
        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Nice summary Nick.
          I'm still learning

Comment

The compressor, the BEST thing you've done all year, lol
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Haha, yeah I got a little carried away.........
              I have a decent list I'm working on just need to find a little more time. Maybe make a goal of one or two a week until I get caught up.
              Nick Smithberg
              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Thank God you can keep the doors open ... Looking good

Comment

Are the pistons and rods air compressior replacement parts? I like the block repair did you use sealent / gasket, or is it just machine fit? Seeing stuff like that makes me wish I would have gone in the Mechenical Engineering in stead of Civil
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

So great to get caught up with you, Nick. I avoid Facebook and such - BS is all I can handle! Please post some pics of the more-done shop - I know they're never "done".

Cool that you're getting to work with some great folks. Oh, and Scott too! The 409 intake is stunning - looks like it belongs there.

Hope the family is well and content.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      Are the pistons and rods air compressior replacement parts? I like the block repair did you use sealent / gasket, or is it just machine fit? Seeing stuff like that makes me wish I would have gone in the Mechenical Engineering in stead of Civil
                      I just bought one rod to replace the broken one (reused the rest), new rings, a small hone, and a gasket kit. I used "The Right Stuff" on the aluminum plate and snugged up the bolts to the block to seal. Bolts holes were drilled where there was some thicker material where some internal braces are. Went to school for Art (never finished) of all things but should have been an Engineer!
                      Nick Smithberg
                      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        So great to get caught up with you, Nick. I avoid Facebook and such - BS is all I can handle! Please post some pics of the more-done shop - I know they're never "done".

Cool that you're getting to work with some great folks. Oh, and Scott too! The 409 intake is stunning - looks like it belongs there.

Hope the family is well and content.

Dan
                        All is well Dan, got another boy due in 4-6 weeks. Just saw his face for the first time yesterday in the ultrasound. Not much more done in the shop really, just insulated the back portion of the shop, made a big door for my machining room, and getting ready to repair the hail damage from last spring. Got alot ahead of me this year so I'll just keep plugging away on it as I can.
                        Nick Smithberg
                        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Nick,
                          Nice compressor repair! Our littlest compressor came from a thrift store in ElCajon, just north of the border. It was a 15.00 USD purchase, but it had a thrown rod and bad piston pins. I cobbed a rod together from some 6061 stock and reamed the pistons out to fit some new pins (5/8" hardened steel pins from McMaster) and its been running clean for the last 10 years! Its got a lot more patina than yours though... We don't do a lot of surfacing at my shop, but I wish I had your CBN/PCD head...Sweet.
                          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Originally posted by BKBridges View Post
                            Nick, Nice compressor repair! Our littlest compressor came from a thrift store in ElCajon, just north of the border. It was a 15.00 USD purchase, but it had a thrown rod and bad piston pins. I cobbed a rod together from some 6061 stock and reamed the pistons out to fit some new pins (5/8" hardened steel pins from McMaster) and its been running clean for the last 10 years! Its got a lot more patina than yours though... We don't do a lot of surfacing at my shop, but I wish I had your CBN/PCD head...Sweet.
                            Awesome! Gotta enjoy those little projects like that. So many people would just rather throw away and buy new. I look at saving something that is completely repairable. Your giving me good hope for mine.
                            Nick Smithberg
                            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Had a little adventure in the shop last night with my son and a flowbench. I'm still in shock that he could do it after only watching me a few times and I showed him once. It may be safe to say he is probably the youngest kid to operate a flowbench!
                              Nick Smithberg
                              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X