Sigh..... You Guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    The Demon is obviously a badass car in a straight line. Mash the gas and hold it, that takes no talent. That one, and the production Dodge before that one...what was it called?

The badass Dodge cars don't do well at all on road courses, they are not designed for that. Straight.....mash it and hold it down.

I like curves and brakes. Driving the car. AND acceleration. Just saying.
    Peewee - In a way you're right but I suggest you take Red to a drag strip and get into it a tad. It's a different world. Remember, you have one chance to get it right - no "I'll make it up on the next lap." There are a thousand tiny little things that the driver has to get right THE FIRST TIME or s/he's going to lose. I guarantee that you can take Red down the strip and get what you think is the best time possible then put an experienced driver in him and get back a 0.5 or maybe even 1 second quicker time slip. All the little things add up.

LSR is probably less driver-dependent than most forms of motorsports but even there getting the car down from speed is the trick that you have to learn to feel. Oh, and on the salt I've seen/heard cars going by at 300 MPH while they're looking for traction! Big cajones and a ton of skill, too.

I've had friends over the years who were into SCCA and similar stuff (one guy was a crewman for John Greenwood as well as an engineer at GMPG) and they warned me that it's common for road racers to start looking down their noses at other forms of racing as somehow crude or requiring limited amounts of skill. Just not true - it's just a different set of tricks. That said, I think it's great that you found something that floats your boat and I think it's WAY cool that you're DOING it!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

That said, I think it's great that you found something that floats your boat and I think it's WAY cool that you're DOING it!

Dan
      Well, it seemed to me like Rock was searching for opinions and I've sure got one. Like what's the tastiest flavor of ice cream, nobody "wins" that one. And I guess my opinion is based on mere mortals, like, I'll never be going 300 mph in a straight line searching for traction. That Sir DOES requires cahoonas of titanium and a huge talent, PLUS the knowledge/ability/money to ever build anything that will go that fast. So hats off, I can hardly imagine. Most of us folks play way down "here" on another level, no matter what the game is. Be it roundy round or road course or straight line, I'll bet the vast majority of all hotrodders are spending grocery money or house payment money or some kind of money that doesn't come from outer space. Expendable funds perhaps, but by all means not unlimited.

If going fast wasn't so much fun, nobody would do it. That's what causes every bit of this stuff. Every bit of it. It's just too danged much fun to do.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        I've not alot to say about it . It's sort of like any other sky high priced car , it's neat but its at least $90,000 out of my range . Just like any other car of that price or more , I can't dream to attain it , so why think of it . And besides it really is just ridiculous......

i feel the same way.
        on the other hand...if one rolled up next to me id still give it a shot
        even though im "only" making maybe 400rwhp and did mine for
        under $5000 total, just because--

1) most 'checkbook hotrodders' cant drive worth a sh*t.

2) anyone that didnt build their own usually doesnt have the car
        sorted out as far as what it does/doesnt like, launch procedures,
        shift points,etc.

3) anything can happen-i might get traction and a stellar run,and
        the demon dude might blow the tires off. or snap a wheel stud.
        or break a ujoint. or bog out of the hole....hey, never know!

4) i have been hit in the head a LOT. apparently it has affected
        my reasoning and judgement capabilities-so says the wife, hah hah...

5) hes SUPPOSED to beat me. if he does, no shame. if he dont...
        wow. talk about SHAME......

6) see #1-#5 above- nothing makes a home brew, bucks down, bloody
        knuckled hotrodders day more than sticking it to some rich
        idiot that just knows hes got the baddest car on the road, with your
        scrimped and saved, blood sweat and tears homebuilt ride.
        heres the link to mine...
        ok, heres my entry-i still have it, its my only car and i drive it everyday-rain or shine, near or far. original purchase price $500.00, not running. get

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

1) most 'checkbook hotrodders' cant drive worth a sh*t.
          Ohhhh so true. This is a re-post, I apologize for doing it again but it's one my most fun moments trying to run on road courses. In the video frame, watch the passenger's side mirror. Watch what happens to the yellow Corvette that was dogging my ass as soon as we left the pits, literally the first turn on the race track at Daytona, on the WARMUP lap. Cold day, cold track, cold tires. Yeah, you GO boy! HAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

Forward to 1:49 and watch the passenger's side mirror. I didn't even KNOW what happened to him until I watched the video. All I knew was he was all over me and then he was gone. HAHAHHAAHAH!!!!!

Comment

...1) most 'checkbook hotrodders' cant drive worth a sh*t.

2) anyone that didnt build their own usually doesnt have the car
            sorted out as far as what it does/doesnt like, launch procedures,
            shift points,etc.

3) anything can happen-i might get traction and a stellar run,and
            the demon dude might blow the tires off. or snap a wheel stud.
            or break a ujoint. or bog out of the hole....hey, never know!

4) i have been hit in the head a LOT. apparently it has affected
            my reasoning and judgement capabilities-so says the wife, hah hah...

5) hes SUPPOSED to beat me. if he does, no shame. if he dont...
            wow. talk about SHAME......

6) see #1-#5 above- nothing makes a home brew, bucks down, bloody
            knuckled hotrodders day more than sticking it to some rich
            idiot that just knows hes got the baddest car on the road, with your
            scrimped and saved, blood sweat and tears homebuilt ride.

Ohhhh so true. This is a re-post, I apologize for doing it again but it's one my most fun moments trying to run on road courses. In the video frame, watch the passenger's side mirror. Watch what happens to the yellow Corvette that was dogging my ass as soon as we left the pits, literally the first turn on the race track at Daytona, on the WARMUP lap. Cold day, cold track, cold tires. Yeah, you GO boy! HAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

while I do respect the factory hot rods(somebody put the work in)
            I do give further credit to those who can say "I did it myself, the way I saw fit"
            and even more credit to those who taught others by sharing their experiences...
            even those hard core rodders worth their salt have to admit they learned it from someone else's experience/ teaching
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Well let's see.... Drag Racing, Road Racing. This is kinda related. Road and Track (Rodent Rack) is kinda dumb about Drag Racing. But how can one be dumb about a "dumb sport"? I just know I'm NOT saying Chevrolet Performance is dumb compared to Dodge. But there is something STRANGE about this.....

​So..... Checkbook Racer A goes out and buys a COPO Camaro, oh yes, AND a rig to haul it around. Pulls into Test 'n Tune night to shake his new toy down. Checkbook Racer B DRIVES in his Demon, runs half a second quicker, then asks "Anyone got any 100 octane race gas for this thing while I mount up my skinny front tires?".

​Any wonder why the Corporate President of Dodge was giddy about the Demon?
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Oh yes, AND a cool video.....https://youtu.be/6qItrfYVw-E

Comment

Another interesting angle:

The COPO Camaro is not competitive off the trailer, so Patterson-Elite shows what's needed to prep the car for Factory Stock Showdown racing.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    Oh yes, AND a cool video.....https://youtu.be/6qItrfYVw-E
                    Man, that's impressive! WOW. If that had been a competitive race, he red-lighted. At least I think he did, watch the tree and watch him go...

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Man, that's impressive! WOW. If that had been a competitive race, he red-lighted. At least I think he did, watch the tree and watch him go...
                      ​It's been too long if you miss my sarcasm P. If all that hoo hah and whoop-de-doo, slicks, wheelie bars and all just got a mid 10 it was NOT a cool video. Further clouding things the guy in the article I linked said a Copo will go 8.60 out of the box, BUT needed a BUNCH of work to go low 8s. More research needed here.

​PLUS a redlight doesn't affect the ET. You WANT to redlight a lot in practice work on reaction time so you don't get things like .125s like Grampa and McTaggart. A tenth is a big deal and knowing the tree will get it for you.

Comment

AND upon reviewing said video an empty lane ALWAYS lights the red.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

​It's been too long if you miss my sarcasm P.
                          I didn't entirely miss it, I was sort of tryin to help....we could sell the house and live in a tent and use the money to buy whatever new muscle car that would do those things, but....I'm drawing a blank as to why. Just sayin. Almost all of us live down here on earth somewhere. As far as material things go.

Comment

I'm done... With Ya P-dubya
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

We talked about it "around the water cooler" at work a couple of the guys had not heard about it yet, I figured most of you heard about it and no one was going to buy one so not really worth talking about.

If a BSer gets one I hope they make a thread about it otherwise I rather talk about the police spec rotors and pads I just got for my 03 town car, and how much I hope to have time to put them on this weekend
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

After a day's thought on it...

If anyone is to drive at speed, in a controlled environment (any race track, straight, round, curves or cones), the car had better be a "system." And it's a steep learning curve, starting from zero like I did. Everything has to work together. I've learned more about a car (any car) in the past 5 years than I ever even knew I didn't know. And I still don't know much at all, but at least now I realize I know very little. But I acknowledge I only know more than I used to. LOTS more than nothing. Put the system together, understand at least a little bit about it. But then you have to drive it.

You take one of these new factory monsters, be it a Porsche or a Lambo or a Demon or what have ya, they sell those to rich folks like loaves of bread at the grocery store. Not nearly a single one of those folks, I'll wager, actually know how to drive that car the way it can be driven. I'll say "nearly" none, because I've seen one exception firsthand. A few years ago when I was still learning and driving with an instructor on board, the instructor took me for a ride in a borrowed Porsche 911 GT3, I think that's what it's called. He took me for two hot laps around Road Atlanta.

That's the fastest I've ever been in a car. 150 down the back straightaway. He said it was a brand new car and it didn't belong to him so he didn't want to "abuse" it. He was casually looking across at me talking as we were going 150 mph, like we were stopped at a stoplight somewhere, he was more than right at home and comfortable doing that. I looked it up, the car would do 202 according to the stats, and it would get there in a hurry. There's the exception, there's a guy who knows what to do with an exotic car. If you can afford to have one.

Everybody else in the market for such a beast, no you're not going to get everything out of it. Or wad it up real quick because you don't know how to drive it.
                                Last edited by pdub; April 28, 2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X