Squirrel Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrel Trap

I tried to find the fireplace thread, went 19 pages deep, I can't find it. The search thing is not cooperative.

Anyhow....here goes. when we moved into this house, we were here for a while, and a squirrel got stuck in the chimney. At night, on the weekend. It was thumping around and making a helluva racket and we didn't know what to do. We looked in the phone book...animal control....pest removal.....there was nothing there that exactly matched our situation. About 14 beers into a case of beer, I called the land line number for the Cleveland cops.

I said we have a squirrel stuck in our chimney. We're new to town, don't know anybody, who would you call if you had that happen? The lady dispatcher said, "We'll send out a unit." I said, no no no, we don't need a unit, I'm only asking a question. She said a unit was on the way.

Well, here comes the cop, the nicest guy in the world with a sense of humor. Said he worked in roofing before he joined the force. He convinced me to go get the long straight ladder and he was up on the roof in the dark with a flashlight looking down in the chimney. Yep, it's a squirrel alright. No means of rescue. That squirrel lived and thrashed around in that chimney for about a week and a half before it died. And then there was the fly infestation. Flies in the house. Thousands of them.

Anyhow, we caught another squirrel this past weekend. Same thing. It didn't live but two days in the chimney, thumping around. Here's the setup: Click image for larger version

Name:	Squirrel Trap.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1002963
    Last edited by pdub; January 24, 2015, 09:42 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

How about some squirrel wire to cover the whole and keep them out.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

how about starting a fire?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        How about some squirrel wire to cover the whole and keep them out.
        I guess we should call the cop back out. He's the only one I've ever seen brave or crazy enough to get on that roof. The pitch on that apex is like....vertical.

Comment

If you don't plan on a fire, put a sheet of plastic over the foreplace opening and tape it shut. Real shut, then dump some lime down there to cover the carcass.. No stink, no flies!

Comment

keep that quiet unless you want animal rights protesters on your lawn
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Call a roofer... should be a way to form that in with a metal formed chimney cap that fits tight to the insert... put lime in there first like DB said to kill the smell...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Take off insert cap for more room , get some electricial conduit , bend the end or bolt on a stiff pointy hook and hook or peirce the body and pull him out. Safety first tie off with a rope to the chimney and be careful. If this doesn't work I defer to Bob. And right off the back with Scott . Since this was a known danger to Mr. Squirrel .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I can't believe they didn't put a cap on it and it passed any kind of inspection. You're probably getting water, leaves, and god knows what else down there too if there is no cap and that really is a fire hazard. See how these fit around the chimney and have a pest screen to keep birds and squirrels out?

Roofer will have a tin bender, and that is a great idea since they put the roof on and all. They'll know how to stand on the roof. They can do it in two pieces that overlap and not have to remove anything to install it.

Wasn't there another thread where you asphyxiated the household with the fireplace? Maybe the best answer would be to have the general contractor come out and remove the fireplace completely and you can put a rocking chair where the mantle and chimney used to be.

There's another answer... check and see if it's legal first. It's probably not.
                  Can SueUnit cook squirrel?

If none of that works, hire yourself a hit squirrel. Send him down the chimney to clear all debris...

Last edited by Beagle; January 25, 2015, 07:04 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Post your artist rendering of said death trap at fireplace opening so other squirrels can see it!
                    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Toss a cat down there. It'll kill the squirrel and eat it. No more squirrel problem.
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                        Toss a cat down there. It'll kill the squirrel and eat it. No more squirrel problem.
                        How does the cat get out? Leash?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          how about starting a fire?
                          Yeah, that was Plan B of only two plans. Unit even suggested it. That would be slow sadistic torture and it would bound to sound hideous at the same time.

We've never smelled the smell, I guess it goes up the chimney. But we sure got the flies in the house the time one went down in there in the summer..

This house has been here a whole lot longer than we have. I'll bet there's a whole pile of bones in there. That cover thing on the end of the pipe is well above the threshold for the chimney, so it was definitely the wind that got in there that night and pushed all the smoke back into the living room. Had to be.

Oh, and we've been outside today planting a Dwarf Albert Spruce from Oregon in a great big pot and we put in right in the middle of the football field. So now we have a squirrel trap AND a brat trap!
                          Last edited by pdub; January 25, 2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

How does the cat get out? Leash?

Nope, gotta send a dog down there to get the cat.
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Better call in a chimney sweep and hope Dick Van Dyke doesnt show.. They have strong vaccum machines..

Thanks for panting Oregon plants!

Are there alot of seed producing trees near you in the neighborhood? Maples, evergreens and the ilk.. Could be why squirrel love your chimney..
                              Maaaaybe if you used yourfireplace more, they won't look there for a nest?

Comment

Working...
                              X