Hidden Radio Antennas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Radio Antennas

Is anyone using a hidden am/fm radio antenna and getting good reception?

I have used hidden antennas designed for both boats and motorcycle fairings with poor results. I also mounted an antenna parallel under the running board of my street rod with no better reception.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post
      I have used hidden antennas designed for both boats and motorcycle fairings with poor results. I also mounted an antenna parallel under the running board of my street rod with no better reception.
      Yeah - I have one of the hidden ones that is about 3" long and 1/2" square. It is absolutely useless but then again, I mounted it under the headliner surounded by metal. I also tried a tunetrapper under the dash and it didn't work at all. I have a conventional 30" mast mounted under the dash and it doesn't seem to do very good. I guess it is a good thing that my headunit is iPod friendly.

Comment

Satellite??
        200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
        Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Never had on work that great. I wasn't even very happy with the ones gm had in the windshield in the 70's. I'm a be fan of the power antenna.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I have to find a picture but a friend of mine put his in the cowl vent on his 69 chevelle. Worked well for as much as he uses the radio.
            Visit my sons blog:
            www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I run an XM/Sirius antenna on Earl's roof....works great, and it isn't too obtrusive.....
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I've got a Dakota Digital unit that works ok. It's mounted inside at the top of the windshield. It probably helps that it's a convertible also. I had put a 10 disc changer in that I use more on longer trips.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                  I run an XM/Sirius antenna on Earl's roof....works great, and it isn't too obtrusive.....
                  Does it pick up standard AM/FM stations?
                  Did you have to drill a hole in the roof to attache the antenna and run the wires under the headliner?

Comment

Originally posted by 65longroof View Post
                    I've got a Dakota Digital unit that works ok. It's mounted inside at the top of the windshield. It probably helps that it's a convertible also. I had put a 10 disc changer in that I use more on longer trips.
                    I have been wondering (or perhaps pondering) if the reason mine works so poorly is because I attempted to actually hide it. The Dakota Digital unit is one of the pricery models out there and I was wondering if it was worth the extra money. With the iPod, I can make playlists and then set it to randomly play the songs which does work pretty good. The advantage to the radio is you get to hear stuff that you don't already own.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

On my last '72 C10 I mounted a stock style antenna in the passenger side rear pillar up high by the back glass & it worked fine with 30 miles of the radio stations in Tulsa.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                        Does it pick up standard AM/FM stations?
                        Did you have to drill a hole in the roof to attache the antenna and run the wires under the headliner?
                        No local stations, and yes, a very small well sealed hole in the roof.
                        Programming on satellite radio is so good, with no commercials, I don't miss local stations.
                        Last edited by oletrux4evr; April 1, 2013, 05:31 AM.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Allen, Jade has a hidden antenna as well, that is poweredby an amplifier. Even then, my stationsare weak and the reception is terrible. I bought it from Custom Autosound out of Classic Industries. The amplifier/antenna is hid on my backwindow, which they recommended and the wire is ran under my carpet & sound deadener. Even with it being on the window, I'm not satisfiedwith the results.

So, I just listen to my shuffle or iPod.....
                          sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                          - George Orwell

Comment

Info

Here ya go Allen:

sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                            - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
                              Thanks Bucky - I have a Kenwood headunit that has a front access UBS port that allows me to plug my iPod (iPhone) directly into it. It does work great as it allows me to custom mix the music - I was just trying to get my tuner functional with a better antenna.

Comment

Working...
                              X