No announcement yet.

My Crazy Road Trip Plan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm usually the voice of conservative reason - but I must tell ya you HAVE to do things like this NOW.

Maybe I'm reeling from a friends wife's recent passing - but I echo what folks have already said - if you can swing it - CARPE DIEM my friend.

I took a trip cross country just after graduating college in '94 - my friend and I still talk about that trip - it was one of the best times of our lives.

While alive - LIVE!

(I decided this year to buy two weeks of vacation so I could do things like this - it's expensive to vacation the older you get!)
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Another vote for "do it".

Newly single in '08, I had a week and half off in March. Jumped in my Mustang and drove from the East Coast of Canada, and eventually spent a week in the Naples, Florida area doing SFA. Drove about 5000 miles. Enjoyed every second.
      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
      1997 Mustang GT
      sigpic

Comment

Looks like a great plan. Even if things change and you can't do all of it, don't give up on the idea and just do as much as you can.

Once you get older and life gets in the way, stuff like that is a lot harder to pull off. good luck!
        Last edited by Northeast Rod Run; February 21, 2012, 05:28 PM.
        1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
        2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
        2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

I love a road trip, so I would go for it if you can...I was looking at your allotted times, getting from Arlington, TX to So Cal, 2 days is no problem, getting around in Los Angeles, forget Van Nuys Blvd, not much to see there anymore, but Hollywood is always comedy to see, Rodeo Dr is where most of what people think Hollywood is or Melrose, cruise Sunset Blvd to the coast, keep in mind traffic during the week in LA area is really busy. Between LA and Las Vegas, takes you about 4-5 hours depending on where you start from. If you want to check some Route 66, there is some remaining stuff around, Summit Inn at the top of Cajun Pass, Barstow there is a Museum there at the Harvey House that was restored. Baker has the Largest Thermometer, can't miss it. Cruise Las Vegas Blvd is cool at night. Unless you like to Gamble, I'd figure about a day there and you probably want to figure about 2 1/2 days back home...That's just my thoughts on timing.
          Dannie
          2010 Camaro SS
          Long Haul 2010/2011
          Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going to try to go with it & see what happens. My plan was to shoot across from Arlington to San Diego, go north along the coast into Oceanside, long beach, beverly hills, hollywood, LA & then head west from right around LA. I'd love to make it to San Fran but that's another 6 hours and quite a bit out of the somewhat planned direction.

Like most of you it always has (& still is) to see as much of the US as possible...&& it's even better behind the wheel of your cool old muscle car. A lot of people I know always want to go to France & Paris & where ever...that's great but me...I have so much to see here in our country I really have no interest in leaving. Give me a car, gas, and a GPS & let me go out & explore this great country, have a little fun, avoid those interstates & cruise those backroads at 55 & look for old cars behind houses & other random things, burn a lott of gas & contribute to global warming My idea of a vacation.

Rett...I def remember seeing your car around, hopefully we can meet up this year! Thanks so much for the offer & we will definitely see what happens!!

Thanks Dannie for the insight!

I have a friend that thinks I'm crazy. Another says I will either get pulled over or in an accident in Cali, most likely both. The person that would most likely go with, my dad, just keeps saying that's wayy too far & wayy too much gas. Pending any mechanical problems...2k in gas isn't far from what one would spend to fly out there, get a rental car, gas for that, etc. Driving the country in my own car, much less a yellow chevelle, having a great time & adding 15 states to the list=winning

Comment

Just Do It...... You never know what the future holds and you may never get a second chance...... I for one don't want to have the "I wished I did it" when I had the chance.....
              Last edited by 66Fury3; February 22, 2012, 05:03 AM.

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
              1966 Plymouth Fury III
              2014 Dodge Ram 1500
              Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
              Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

If your dad is going to be your co-pilot, you have to do this trip. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
                1999 Power Tour - 3 Stops
                2006 Power Tour Long Hauler
                2008-2012 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

That's a big 10-4 -
                  If he doesn't want to do the whole enchilada at least fly him part way to do some together time.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Do it, it will be so special!

Linda

Comment

you will never ,ever ,forget the time you spent with your dad if you end up doing this.
                      Has anyone seen my fan?

Comment

Soo after just starting my new job this past monday, I was able to somehow ask for two weeks off after 'will have' only being there for 3, they somehow say ok & yet again I'm left with a tonn of stuff to get done with soo little time. Car needs work, I still don't have all of my hotels (most, but not all), & I really don't have a 'plan'. Even though we have a few weeks to go, again my remaining days are already pretty booked.

Plan is to get as much done on the car I can, load it up && hit the road. After Arlington, punch in San Diego on the GPS via non interstate & see what happens. We made it to FL & back last year 3700 miles with no problems other than overheating & a blown header gasket, hopefully with some luck I can nearly double that (6400ish miles) && find the same results. Worse case scenario...AAA tow into town somewhere & a Uhaul rental home

Super excited!! See you all in a few weeks

Comment

I agree, do it when you can.

My dad dragged the whole fam damnly around the USA in '76 and again in '82. Last year Rett and I did San Diego to Cocoa to Detroit and home via Denver and Vegas, Danny was with us 90% of the way. This year it's SoCal up Route 66 to Chicago, over to Detroit, power tour down to Arlington and home.

If I remember right last year we did over 7K miles, this year we're up around 6K. Heck, just last weekend we did Route 66 to the Grand Canyon and home (just under 1000 miles).

So much to see so little time. If you don't do it now you may never. BTW, I've been to ever state but N. Dakota, 12 countries, work FULL time and am only 44 years old.

DO IT !
                          [size=+1]Chuck
                          2011 HRPT Long Hauler
                          2012 HRPT Long Hauler
                          2013 HRPT Long Hauler "to be"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcasey View Post
                            My dad dragged the whole fam damnly around the USA in '76 and again in '82. Last year Rett and I did San Diego to Cocoa to Detroit and home via Denver and Vegas, Danny was with us 90% of the way. This year it's SoCal up Route 66 to Chicago, over to Detroit, power tour down to Arlington and home.

If I remember right last year we did over 7K miles, this year we're up around 6K. Heck, just last weekend we did Route 66 to the Grand Canyon and home (just under 1000 miles).

So much to see so little time. If you don't do it now you may never. BTW, I've been to ever state but N. Dakota, 12 countries, work FULL time and am only 44 years old.

DO IT !
                            sounds like since you will be so close, you need to take a side trip up to N Dakota to get that one checked off your list.
                            i agree with you. i'm a bit older than you, but have also traveled extensively and found the world to be a wonderful place.
                            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Definitely not the most important thing done on the car today but definitely the best

Comment

If you're still not convinced to make your road trip, watch this video. Even if you're not a Pixar Cars fan, it's worth the 15 minutes. Starts a little slow but hits a home run. This is the core of road-trippin'

[size=+1]Chuck
                                2011 HRPT Long Hauler
                                2012 HRPT Long Hauler
                                2013 HRPT Long Hauler "to be"

Comment

Working...
                                X