My Crazy Road Trip Plan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Crazy Road Trip Plan...

So I've only done 2 Long Hauls ('09 where I lost a trans in Detroit & '11) and a few stops back in '07 when it started here in Milwaukee. I'm only 22 & my car is far far far from perfect, but to me it's priceless because of the story & the fact that it's driven nearly daily & been it quite a few states already...50 total to see . Originally, eariler this year I really had no intention of going this upcoming year. I didn't like the idea of being 2 places in MI that I've already been (they are awesome, I know, but I like unseen territory!), nor the idea of 2 days in ILL, nor the lots of highway rumors.

Then I thought about it, actually doing PT & stretching it out a bit more...an epic road trip. Leaving MKE, heading to Detroit for the start, then heading southwest 7 cities in 7 days ending up & finishing PT in Arlington TX. Driving wayy too fast, partying every night in a different city & getting wayy too little sleep.

Then the extended part...head further west to Cali for a few days, say Los Angeles cruising van Nuys Blvd, Hollywood & the beaches. Then hit Vegas baby for a few days on the way home, cruise LV Blvd & live some of that nightlife...then head home the scenic route along some of route 66 & through Wyoming & SD. Thinking 2 days to get to Cali, 2 days in Cali, 2 days Vegas, 2 days back to WI (keep in mind backroads & sightseeing)...home late Sat or Sun & back to work on Monday.

Prelim estimate would be around 5k+ miles (probably more like 6k) of seeing the USA behind the wheel of a yellow Chevelle...epic?? I think so! People say I'm crazy but last year we did 3800 miles in 11 days...only adding a little over a thousand miles and a few more days I say let's go. Hinderances would would be if I happen to start a new job that I'm looking for maybe 2 weeks off might not be doable and/or if gas is $5/gal like they're saying then I'll probably stay home & stare at google maps some more while dreaming. Plus I think about how wore out I am say like after day 3 of PT (even though after day 2 of being home ready to go again) I think a whole addtional week might be crazy!! Car needs some work...have a new UMI rear suspension in my room waiting to be bolted up, need to pick out & buy an aluminum rad & elec fan setup (learned after last year), fix an intake oil leak, new tires, other general stuff. Whaddya think?!?! Do-able??

Here's a photo album I started if you care to look...http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=eee3ce9355

Last edited by str8tpiperoar; February 20, 2012, 10:15 PM.

I'm not a Power Tour'r, but I say DO IT! I did ~5,500 miles in my '72 Centurion Convertible in 2003 when I drove from Los Angeles, CA to Myrtle Beach, SC and back. Couple times last year I put ~4,000 miles on my Skylark, and of course the Alabama to Nevada drive in a '69 Firebird I had never seen in person before hitting the road
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Josh let me know when you are leaving MKE? group leaving south chicago early friday morning if you want to join
      Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Scott, I really don't have a plan right now but guessing I would probably just leave friday afternoon after work to eliminate using time off for the start...especially if I can pull this off...

Comment

do it while you are young. take every chance you can to see what you can when you can.
          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

That map just looks like Rett and mine's loop getting to Detroit....and back to So Cal...
            Last edited by SoCalCamaro; February 20, 2012, 11:06 PM.
            Dannie
            2010 Camaro SS
            Long Haul 2010/2011
            Power Tour 2012 (Stillwater/Arlington/Optima Face Off)

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw your map..I'm guessing 5000 miles on the Mustang this year..It's a good thing it's a Rental car...
              I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Do it! After the 2010 Power Tour I just kept on going. Did nearly 6k, stopping at Rocky Mt. Nats, Bo Huff's Rockabilly show, San Fran wine country, redwoods and up the West coast to Goodguys Pacific NW Nationals. Then turned back East to upstate NY. So the Power Tour was a good warmup, so to speak. But getting on the road and seeing the country was the absolute best. So do it while you can. Gas prices? I save a bit all year to make it possible. This year my after HRPT quest is the ultimate cheeseburger.

Bottom line? Do what you can, for as long as you can. There's nothing like getting a classic on the road for a good distance. With all the newer sexless vehicles on the road, we have a responsibility to mix things up. Be safe, and drive 'em, David

Comment

Do it while you still can - before you know it free time will be less free and disposable income has already been disposed of.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                    Do it while you still can - before you know it free time will be less free and disposable income has already been disposed of.
                    If you have the time, and to a lesser extent the $$$$, do it. If I had the time, and fewer family responsibilities, I'd ask you if you wanted a wing man.
                    nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

I agree! Do it while you can! It's exactly the kind of trip I have wanted to do for years, but responsibilities take over, and you just don't have the time or resourses! GO FOR IT!!!
                      Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                      Gregg and Deb Miller
                      Verona, Wi.

Comment

Do it! I did a little over 4100 last year and it was a blast.

I do remember seeing your car somewhere along the way too. It's all a blur.
                        I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Go for it! So many roads, so little time........
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I say go for it. My power tour plan is nowhere near that crazy, but still decent. If the s10 is done I'll be flying from VA to IA then driving up to MI. If its not done, then I'll be driving from va to ia, then up to mi, then long hauling, then back to va. If the s10 is done, its basically the same trip just without the drive from VA to IA.
                            Last edited by itS10neverdone; February 21, 2012, 11:00 AM.
                            '95 S10: 350sbc/th350 (for now)
                            '05 Cobalt SS: 13.4@105 (boost + money = fun)
                            '03 GSXR1000: exhaust, stacks, filter, PCIII, nitrous, plenty of other stuff
                            GO CAPITALS!!!!!

Comment

I can't agree more with what everyone is saying. The part about your responsabilities will only get more and more. I took a month off two times and both times I went cross country. I can't get enough of this country and back roads. Try to run up the coast from Los Angeles to San Fran if you can. It's so beautiful you won't ever forget it. And if you get down to really Southern California, San Diego that is, you have a place to stay and you can save on your hotel funds. You can also change you oil if you need or any other repair in the shop. I will just have to get home before you, or you can run with us..Think about it..But either way you should do this trip or one somewhat like it while you are younger. Because you won't get the chance to do it again until you get much older ..Trust me..
                              Last edited by street72; February 21, 2012, 11:59 AM.
                              I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X