Hot Wheels - Car of the Day !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Monza 2+2
    This model is based on the 1975 two-door Monza 2+2 hatch-back from Chevrolet. The Chevy Monza 2+2 this year was only released in Orange and Light Green enamel paint, although Mattel issued this model in special Silver Chrome with a Winter Ball tampo design, as a Christmas gift to members of management.

The tampo design features two black stripes that run the length of the car from head-light to taillight over the hood, roof, and trunk. On the hood portion of each stripe, the word "MONZA" appears in black and a distinct black pinstripe block appears between the two stripes on the hood, roof, and trunk.

A French only blackwall model, still in the Blister.

A Chrome Monza, with a Yellow trimmed stripe.

A later issued Monza in Yellow enamel paint shows the tampo design, which stayed the same, just using a different color scheme.

The later released Yellow Monza, still in the Blister Pack.

Comment

• Emergency Squad
      Mattel based this model on a fire department first aid vehicle, which features two blue plastic lights, molded fire hose and oxygen tanks that extend through openings in the roof and bed of the vehicle. This model was issued only in Red enamel paint and has a chrome plastic base that is also used with the Ranger Rig and Ramblin' Wrecker.

The tampo design features a yellow stripe on each side that runs the length of the vehicle. A white shield with a red diagonal stripe and three red stars is printed on each door panel. The words "EMERGENCY UNIT" are printed in white below the shield. The number "50" is printed in yellow on the rear quarter panel. The words "OXYGEN" and "FIRST AID" are printed in white trimmed by white box outlines that are printed on doors cast into the sides of the vehicle.

The top view shows the blue plastic lights, fire hose and oxygen tanks that extend through openings in the roof and bed.

An Emergency Squad in original Blister Pack.

Close-up of a mint model in the original packaging.

This bottom view shows the chrome plastic base, that does not have the model name cast into it, because it was used on more than one model.

An example of a later issue "Blackwall" Emergency Squad in original packaging.

Last edited by Monster; January 8, 2012, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Gremlin Grinder
        Mattel based this model on the 1974 Gremlin two-door sedan from the American Motors Corporation (AMC). Mattel's designer stretched the hood so it would accommodate a large, exposed engine.

The tampo design features a yellow stripe that surrounds the engine on the hood and continues around the roof. A yellow X trimmed in black is printed in the center of the roof. A drawing of a gremlin is centered in the X and is printed in orange and black.

This model was issued only in Dark Green enamel paint, but there was one variation. Herfy's restaurant partnered with Mattel for an in-store promotion - on this model, the tampo remains the same as described above, but with the Herfy's restaurant logo, printed in yellow, on the sides and was issued in a plastic bag with a cardboard header.

Front view, showing the classic Gremlin grill.

A rear view.

The chrome plastic base, with Gremlin Grinder molded into the casting.

Comment

• [QUOTE=White Monster;597047][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]American Victory
          Mattel based this model on a McLaren-style race car. It features a metal interior and an exposed metal engine behind the cockpit. In another cost-cutting move for Mattel, some models such as this one came with plastic rather than metal bases. The tampo design resembles a stylized American flag, The tampo has a blue field with five white stars. Red and white stripes flow behind the blue field and turn into flames over the back wheel. The number "9" is centered in the field of stripes and is the color of the car.
          It was issued only in Light Blue enamel.

Steve you got way too much free time!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by classicbern1 View Post
            We all have our unusual hobbies, this is good Trivial Pursuit info
            So. Central PA
            Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Bernie, I don't have any "free" time, but this is one of the things that takes a few, of my precious minutes every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                Bernie, I don't have any "free" time, but this is one of the things that takes a few, of my precious minutes every day.
                I'm just messin with you do you have a large collection of hot wheelsI have a few 1000 myself

Comment

• Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                  Bernie, I don't have any "free" time
                  So we have discovered yet ANOTHER overpriced resource here in Florida
                  Last edited by cstmwgn; January 16, 2012, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Do you have a large collection of hot wheels ?
                    I have a few 1000 myself.
                    Not really, I only have the original ones I bought as a kid from '68 to '70.
                    Most of the pictures are from models that are currently for sale on FeeBay ...

Comment

Working...
                    X