Hot Wheels - Car of the Day !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Wheels - Car of the Day !!!

"Mattel entered the miniature car diecast market in 1968 with an assortment of 16 cars sold under the name "Hot Wheels." The company specifically set out to design a product that could compete head-on with other diecast car lines, of which the leader was Matchbox, produced by Lesney Products in England.

The cars were an instant hit with not only boys, but girls and adult collectors alike. They were painted in bright, reflective colors, referred to as Spectraflame by Mattel. Most of the cars were based on popular American muscle cars that had not been well represented by other manufacturers. The cars were raised or "raked" in the back for the "hot rod" look, which was a popular trend in California at the time. All of the models had some additional customizations, such as side pipes, custom "power bulges" on opening hoods, customized engines, and detailed chassis (bases), with black vinyl or painted roofs. All Hot Wheels cars could also be easily recognized by their stand-out wheels which sported chrome hubs and red lines (reflecting another popular look at that time). Collectors refer to the early Hot Wheels cars as "Redlines" for this reason.

The cars were originally listed in the 1968 catalog as being available in two colors each. When sales exploded, that quickly changed. All of the cars for 1968 have been found in at least nine colors, and for some models, as many as 16 different colors are known. There are also variations of some colors that expand the colors available to 20 or more.

All models from 1968 were manufactured in both Hong Kong and the United States. The country of origin, the vehicle's name and model number, the Hot Wheels logo, and a copyright date appear on the base of each car. The copyright date can be used to date cars from this period. This is usually, but not always, one year prior to the car's introduction into the lineup."
    The Ultimate Redline Guide by Jack Clark & Robert Wicker

Every kids dream in 1968 was to have the 12-car Rally Case and all 16 cars.

I'm going to post up a car every day, as often as possible, starting with the first year of issue in alphabetical order. Post up your pictures, memories and dreams ...

Beatnik Bandit
    Custom Barracuda
    Custom Camaro
    Custom Corvette
    Custom Cougar
    Custom Eldorado
    Custom Firebird
    Custom Fleetside
    Custom Mustang
    Custom T-Bird
    Custom Vokswagen
    Deora
    Ford J-Car
    Hot Heap
    Python
    Silhouette

Spectraflame Colors
    Aqua
    Blue
    Brown (varient: Copper)
    Gold
    Green (varient: Seasideer Green)
    Lavender (collectors prefer Rose)
    Light Blue (varient: Ice Blue)
    Lime (called Antifreeze by collectors)
    Light Green
    Magenta
    Olive
    Orange
    Pink (varients: Hot Pink, Creamy Pink & Salmon Pink)
    Purple
    Red
    Yellow

They were packaged in a "blister pack" along with a collector badge.

My cars from 1968-70 in "played with" condition.

Some of my buddy Dave The Bartender's collection.

The "King Kuda" Club car from 1970 (there was also the "Heavy Chevy" & "Mustang Boss Hoss")

Dave The Bartender's Mustang Boss Hoss Club car.

Dave The Bartender's collection still has the original collectors case of awesome orange track.

A few of my lunchboxes with a thermos from 1969.

Last edited by Monster; August 3, 2011, 07:53 AM.

Beatnik Bandit
    The Beatnik Bandit is one of only two cars issued with a "bubble" canopy window roof in 1968 and was so popular that Mattel kept this model in the line from 1968 to 1971. This car was based on the late Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's show car of the same name and is one of those models that almost everyone can easily identify as a Hot Wheels car.

Here is my car in Red.

Comment

Double posting?
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Have to get that post count up there with this very informative piece. We all can learn so much............
        Dave & Miss Money Penny
        Oshkosh, WI
        Long Hauler --- 2008/09/10/11 and now waiting for ..................

Comment

I still have most of mine and the drag strip too. The drag strip was ran many a Saturday morning, with full eliminations during the early '70's. My Jack Rabbit Special was my fastest car!
          Living the dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbuds1 View Post
            I still have most of mine and the drag strip too.
            The drag strip was ran many a Saturday morning, with full eliminations during the early '70's.
            My Jack Rabbit Special was my fastest car!
            I liked the Jack Rabbit Special, but got the Sandcrab instead and never went back and got the JRS.
            Last edited by Monster; July 4, 2011, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbuds1 View Post
              I still have most of mine and the drag strip too. The drag strip was ran many a Saturday morning, with full eliminations during the early '70's. My Jack Rabbit Special was my fastest car!
              I hear ya Buddy but i also ran qualifying round too.......I had the twin drag with the dual-lane speedometer recorder that had to be rest after every pass and writing down the recorded speed.........two of my fastest were Mercedes-Benx C111 and Buzz-off they had heavy bases so they got down my steep start launch very quick but I also had a Matchbox that would when a lot it was a Red Vauxhall Guidesman#40 it would win when I didnt even want it to and kept my racing more real world........lmao.......need to dig some of my redlines to post......
              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

I regret selling off most of the 5,000+ hot wheels I had MIP...things you do to fix a daily driver. -sigh-

My favorites for a long time, until Hot Wheels released the 1972 Gran Torino Sport:

Favorite ebay I had Hot Wheels-wise was the score of an original "Thrill Driver's" set box, which I turned into a framed art in the basement, which had the "INCLUDES TWO TORINOS" on the box.

I now sort of collect the ones I like, compared to the obsession of having every one, 6 variants, different colors/wheels/decals.
                Andrew
                1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Custom Barracuda
                  One of several muscle cars in the lineup, it was based on the 1967 Plymouth Barracuda two-door fastback coupe and the hood opened to reveal a detailed engine compartment.

This model is very popular with collectors and unfortunately, I can't find mine and DTB does not have one in his collection either.

I did however, locate the original badge that came with the car in the blister pack.

If you have a Barracuda, post it up !!!

Comment

I have a Barracuda, but it's not a 70. (that is what the badge looks like but it's dated 67) It is Dark Turquoise green. I think I still have all my badges, I'll look.
                    Look at my case pic. It is two below the chrome Stang.
                    I like what your doing with the thread, pretty cool !
                    thanks,

No stinking badges DTB
                    DTB - RETIRED

Comment

I thought this was a thread that was about ........
                      Unofficial Hot Rod Power Tour Board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or I thought this forum or thread was about forum freaks ............ Or I thought we had a general forum or thread for this where more people would enjoy this.
                      I thought, ok I know here I go thinking again, but if these Hot Wheels were all that would you not clean them up be for you posted them?

I know..............NO THINKING IS ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Last edited by Drop Top 68; July 12, 2011, 03:37 AM.
                      Dave & Miss Money Penny
                      Oshkosh, WI
                      Long Hauler --- 2008/09/10/11 and now waiting for ..................

Comment

CLEAN ??? That is original dust ! In the Hot Wheel World, that's patina baby ! Back in the day, they never sat long enough to collect dust. Your collection is vintage man !

A little old and dusty DTB
                        DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Originally posted by Drop Top 68 View Post
                          I thought this was a thread that was about ........
                          Unofficial Hot Rod Power Tour Board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Or I thought this forum or thread was about forum freaks ............
                          Or I thought we had a general forum or thread for this where more people would enjoy this.
                          I thought, ok I know here I go thinking again, but if these Hot Wheels were all that, would you not clean them up be for you posted them?
                          I know..............NO THINKING IS ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          LOL, yes, I did see your first post along with Studemax calling me out for what he called "double-posting", which I believe he meant cross-posting (which is putting the same thread on multiple boards).

OK Dave, it's like this .....
                          The Freaks are a special and unique breed, they are Family.
                          Most of them do not venture outside of this board, it is our world.
                          Some of us are more adventurous and set forth through cyberspace and bring back goodies to share with everyone here.

Interestingly, other hot rodders who do not do the HRPT thing, do not visit this board either, but range throughout the rest of the forum. So, I also have the same HW thread running on the General Discussion board for their enjoyment as well ... same as I did with the Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Card of the Day and Odd Rods Card of the Day threads.

My HW's are not necessarily "all that". They are just a part of my past, that helped shape me into who I am today. But they are mine and I thought some other Freaks may enjoy a trip down memory lane also. Not everyone will. For me, memorabilia is an association with past memories and anything that helps me remember, is good.

Change of subject, Miss Money Penny said she had a really good pic of Bruce and me in the Vette when you passed us headed for Fancy Gap. Would you please ask her to send it to me ?
                          Thanks -

Originally posted by PigGuy View Post
                          A little old and dusty DTB
                          Dave, sorry about the username thing, we are still working on DTB.

Comment

Originally posted by PigGuy View Post
                            I have a Barracuda, It is Dark Turquoise green.
                            Look at my case pic. It is two below the chrome Stang.
                            DTB
                            So you do ....

Comment

It's so fast it blew the dust off . . . or . . . WM have you been playin with the Barracuda? I think I see some stone chips around the rear wheel well, from you smokin the tires ! Doooo Waaaaa !
                              Geez I use to love to play with these things. Missin the good ole days, today.

Still a kid at heart DTB
                              DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Working...
                              X