Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family losses here becoming contagious? (I hope not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family losses here becoming contagious? (I hope not)

I received the call at 2:15 A.M. last Saturday morning that my ninety-one year old mother had passed away. We are about seventy miles away & had just been to see her a couple of weeks before. She suffered from dementia but that day she was wide awake, alert & communicating surprisingly well. Many have since told us that they have experienced the same phenomenon of a friend or relative suffering from this disease being near normal & completely coherent one day & then suddenly being gone in the next week or two. After months or even years of not even recognizing their own family members.

Mom was born in 1927 & grew up in a very hard scrabble environment with six brothers & sisters, a mother that died young & growing up in the heart of the great depression. The real one of the 1930's. No food stamps, no welfare, and she said many times that they would not have eaten if not for the Salvation Army. She met my dad when he came home from the Pacific after WWII. They were married August 13th, 1949 & my father always joked that it was a Friday. We lost him in 2001. Between the three of us kids many things came out at the meeting with the Minister & the gentleman in charge of the service. We all had mostly forgotten that there were few times that we could remember her not working.

When she retired at about seventy she took a job in the local middle school cafeteria just to ward off the feeling that she was not contributing anything towards her own support. Pension be damned. Probably a by-product of growing up during the depression. She talked many times about how shocked she was to see the amount of food that the kids at the school wasted. There again was probably that depression experience. She worked that job well into her eighties & spent the last half-dozen years of her life in a nursing home where she could not leave unaccompanied. And yet we all felt like she had led quite a full life. With many experiences that we had no particular desire to personally have to endure. But she had been healthy all of her life, able to work as long as she wished & died in her sleep. While that may sound insensitive to some, it could have been much worse. Rest in peace Mom.
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Sorry for your loss. My dad grew up in the depression, wouldn't throw anything away.
    We lost him several years ago at age 92 to Parkinson's disease, cruel disease as most are.
    Last edited by corvettedad; August 2, 2018, 09:21 PM.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

God speed and rest in peace. My mom turns 90 this month!
      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Condolences to your family for your loss. That was a great write-up and is almost a mirror of my Mom's story, who turns 90 next March.

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family....l lost my mother many years ago.... Tammy's dad is in a home, suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia...hoping that day doesn't come too soon....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Well written Mike God Bless her ~
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
              Well written Mike God Bless her ~
              Can't say it better than that. Our condolences as well.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Sorry for you loss. My mother in law and one of my friends wife did the same thing a couple of days before they passed. They woke up and recognized friends and family members present.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing her story with us.
                  Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

So sorry to hear about your mom, Mike. I know how you're feeling. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
                    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

I'm sorry, Mike.
                      2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                      1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                      1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your mom, Mike. I'm currently caring for my 91 yr old mom with dementia as well. We have some good days and some bad days, seems like more bad ones than good ones.
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Sorry for your loss Mike. That was a great story about your Mom.
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Our Condolences on your loss Mike, may your Mom Rest in Peace
                            '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                            '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                            79 Trans Am project
                            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Glad you had that aware time with your mom Mike. Raf & I had lunch with my mom the week before she past. Have something to be thankful for helps fill that hole. God bless you and your whole family. Spirit hugs
                              R n T 88MCSS LS2 6Spd (2013)
                              Long Hauler 2011,12,14,15,16,17,18, 21, 22
                              Real SH 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X