New 2019 Power Tour Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2019 Power Tour Car?

1968 Pontiac Firebird with the 250 OHC six and 3 spd manual.

This is the most rust free original body car I've ever looked at in person. It's had one really really shitty repaint around 1994. The only rust on the entire car is a little in the lower rear quarters and it's just bubbles. The owner put it on jackstands and I was everywhere in and out of it with a light and I ran a magnet over the entire car as well. Extremely clean car.

The deal is 99% done. I'm leaving for Cali for 10 days at 5AM and didn't have time to get cash and my friends trailer. We agreed on a price and he pulled the CL ad. He seemed happy to do it as well, apparently over 2 weeks he's gotten texts from over a hundred different people, 5 or 6 no shows, a couple flippers that offered wrecked mustang coupe money, and a few tire kickers. I'll hopefully pick it up mon/tues July 9/10.

I own a 67 Firebird, but it's a rusty pile. It's going back to my dad. It was originally his car and he wants to try and tackle it. I think I'm done with doing full cars. I'm getting to the point where I'm totally good with others doing paint/body and I do the mechanical/interior/suspension like I did on my Mustang.

It will get a full repaint someday, but for now since the paint is rough, I think I'm going with the old race car theme like damon did.
    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Door bottoms and floor. I pulled the trunk mat as well. A little surface rust but that's it, zero holes. The rustiest thing under the car are the brake and fuel lines

Comment

Neat car. Looks like a great start!
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I love the new chicken Jesse. Want to sell it?

Comment

I do not. I've been looking off and on for one I could afford for years... that was clean and not an aftermarket panel car. This one is ALLLLLLLLL GM. The only reason I could afford this one is because it's a total base model stripper with the NON sprint 250 I-6 with a 3spd on the column! I haven't driven one of those in YEARS! The 250 OHC six was just rebuilt.

I grew up with the birds. My dad had 20+ first gens at one time in various states of rust and disrepair. They were NY cars and all but two were victims of the crusher in the early 90s. He sold the last convertible he had a while ago and I got what was left of the 67 coupe I learned to work on cars with. Now that I have this one my dad want's his 67 back.

He sold the nicest one he ever owned around 1984 for the down payment for the house I grew up in (parents still live there.) One of the earliest pics of me is me sitting on the fender of that car with my dad holding me there. I was probably +/-6 months old. It was a BRIGHT red with black interior.
          Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 28, 2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I do like the first gen Pontiacs waay more than the Camaro, it's the nose and tail detail.
            You're way ahead without big metal work to do.
            Looking forward to see how it turns out.
            Are you going to install a Pontiac V8 ?

Comment

Wasn't expecting to actually find a car. It took about half of what I had saved up to build my 24x40 garage, so I'm not going to be able to spend anything on the car for a while, I plan to start the shop this fall.

Assuming it runs good my priorities for now will be new brake/fuel lines (brakes are new), new fuel tank, radiator, hoses, new PMD Rally II wheels (tires on car are OLD!, possibly mid 90s) and drive it. I have a Pontiac 400 and 350, but they need to be rebuilt. My dad has a 428 he claims we can make a deal on, but any motor swap, barring an engine catasrophe, will be a long ways down the road. A 5 spd to replace the 3 spd will likely be first. I'm also digging all of the QA1 suspension stuff, but man $$$$$
              Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 28, 2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D6B911CA-0437-4D52-BEA3-BBCC3A1ED9E0.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1207294 Although I’ve got a ways to go, I expect to get my ‘79 ready for the ‘19 Tour- maybe we can cruise together a bit on next years tour.
                Last edited by Redline04; July 2, 2018, 10:19 AM.
                '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                79 Trans Am project
                ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Sweet project Jesse !

Comment

Great projects guys!
                    Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Way to go Jesse. I see a Trans Am race car theme going on.
                      Visit my sons blog:
                      www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Hoping to find a really, really unique "something" or a 1961 "somethIng" (the year I was born) to fix up for 2019. Want to rebuild it myself with Vic's guidance. Anybody know any likely projects?!!!
                        Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                        Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Originally posted by elcaminogirl59 View Post
                          Hoping to find a really, really unique "something" or a 1961 "somethIng" (the year I was born) to fix up for 2019. Want to rebuild it myself with Vic's guidance. Anybody know any likely projects?!!!
                          I don't have either one but I'm going to have 2 projects for sell very soon. Very soon.
                          Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Time to blow out the garage wall and expand
                            HRPT 12 Miami and Stillwater, OK, 13 Arlington to Memphis, 14/15 Vetoed by Wife, 16 Long Haul, 17/18/19 motor fiasco

Comment

Maybe a 2019 car.
                              I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

Working...
                              X