Lessons learned from this years hrpt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons learned from this years hrpt

Hey Gang. I’m a First Timer and first and foremost I learned what a fantastic group of people participate in this event. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The only negatives I took from this was the idiots who had to show off their “fast” and “loud” cars by tearing out at every stop and cutting in and out of traffic. For the most part everyone was kind and respectful and patient. The one thing I WILL do differently next year is pack a box with clean clothes and supplies to have shipped to my halfway point. I will take my dirty clothes and Swag and put them in the same box and ship them home.
    ​​​​​
    Last edited by FREDMAXX; June 16, 2018, 07:15 PM.
    2018 Long Hauler
    1965 Chevy C10 SWB Stepside
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/781158065608127/

One year I just packed less and wore the stuff I bought or picked up to save room. Glad you had fun!
    Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by FREDMAXX View Post
      ... The only negatives I took from this was the idiots who had to show off their “fast” and “loud” cars by tearing out at every stop and cutting in and out of traffic....
      ​​​​​
      Well, I guess it was good that I hurt the wagon on the way to Bowling Green or I might have strayed off into that group! But even us idiots can be friendly and helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Well, I guess it was good that I hurt the wagon on the way to Bowling Green or I might have strayed off into that group! But even us idiots can be friendly and helpful.
        Don’t get me wrong, I like to see folks having fun. But when you are putting others at risk, that’s not fun just irresponsible. If you want to burn out and show your butt, don’t do it around others who are not familiar with you. Not to mention the fact that there were lots of small towns with kids around. There was no reason to peel out when you had to slam on your brakes immediately due to traffic.
        2018 Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by FREDMAXX View Post

Don’t get me wrong, I like to see folks having fun. But when you are putting others at risk, that’s not fun just irresponsible. If you want to burn out and show your butt, don’t do it around others who are not familiar with you. Not to mention the fact that there were lots of small towns with kids around. There was no reason to peel out when you had to slam on your brakes immediately due to traffic.
          I should probably drop this but those small towns with kids around HOLDING signs to do burnouts and pouring water in the street to help the lower powered cars do burnouts. And the folks that will follow someone doing 5 -10 under the posted speed limit instead of taking a safe opportunity to pass all contribute to the risk. This is a massive event with a wide array of cars and drivers. We need to allow everyone to enjoy their "vacation" without labeling or belittling their activities.

As a side not, I can't begin to imagine how embarrassing it is to have to drive a Corvette or a Deuce or a 67 Camaro but hey I drive a station wagon so what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
            This is a massive event with a wide array of cars and drivers. We need to allow everyone to enjoy their "vacation" without labeling or belittling their activities.
            Can't agree more!

One thing I learned from my first Long Haul...check in at the venue and then bail immediately for a side diversion for half of the stops. The days we went rogue were my favorites, and felt less overwhelming than spending all day around cars. We saw some really cool stuff!

2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
            1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
            1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
              Can't agree more!

One thing I learned from my first Long Haul...check in at the venue and then bail immediately for a side diversion for half of the stops. The days we went rogue were my favorites, and felt less overwhelming than spending all day around cars. We saw some really cool stuff!
              Nice meeting y'all!!
              Perry
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Likewise, Perry! Everyone we spent time with this week was so welcoming and awesome.
                (though I may still be hungover from that night Terry kept us awake 'til 3:30 with good conversation!!! LOL)
                2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

I had more Corvettes ,mustangs,Camaros slowpoking through the curves that had no posted lower speeds. That could drive at normal speeds I dont believe anyone should drive like and idiot but at least do the speed limit. As for burnouts nothing wrong with a standing burnout shooting down the street is another story that's unsafe. The locals love to see us act alittle crazy but just do it responsibly. Passing others is apart of driving in everyday life you again have to use comonsense. Just dont get so wrapped up with it all that you forget to have safe,responsible fun.
                  Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

What I learned is (from Pintoboy) you can sleep in leave at 9:00 and still get to the venue in plenty on time!!
                    Donna
                    Williamston, MI
                    Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by pintoboy77 View Post
                      I had more Corvettes ,mustangs,Camaros slowpoking through the curves that had no posted lower speeds. That could drive at normal speeds I dont believe anyone should drive like and idiot but at least do the speed limit. As for burnouts nothing wrong with a standing burnout shooting down the street is another story that's unsafe. The locals love to see us act alittle crazy but just do it responsibly. Passing others is apart of driving in everyday life you again have to use comonsense. Just dont get so wrapped up with it all that you forget to have safe,responsible fun.
                      Some of us had a wife or young child with us that were genuinely nervous as it was and we were trying to be conscious of them and allow them to have a good time so they will want to do it again. The intent was not to “impede” anyone or keep them from “having a good time”.
                      Last edited by FREDMAXX; June 18, 2018, 02:53 PM.
                      2018 Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by redragtop View Post
                        What I learned is (from Pintoboy) you can sleep in leave at 9:00 and still get to the venue in plenty on time!!
                        I was on vacation. Great hanging with all you guys!
                        Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

As always running with and hanging with other BangShifters is a lot of fun! Doesn’t matter which group or individuals you run with ~ or hang out with in the hotel parking lots ~ THIS is a great group of car people!

Looking forward to seeing y’all again next year
                          Last edited by Redline04; June 18, 2018, 05:36 PM.
                          '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                          '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                          79 Trans Am project
                          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
                            Likewise, Perry! Everyone we spent time with this week was so welcoming and awesome.
                            (though I may still be hungover from that night Terry kept us awake 'til 3:30 with good conversation!!! LOL)
                            Hey, don't blame me if you can't hang with the big girls!!
                            Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                            Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Seriously, though, really enjoyed hanging out with you and your dad. Hope to see you again soon!
                              Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                              Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Working...
                              X