Power Tour Detour - Gearhead Inn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tour Detour - Gearhead Inn

On Monday, June 11, the Power Tour rolls into Birmingham for the 3rd time since 2013. My wife and I have been going on the tour since 2013 and as the years have progressed, we have been less and less worried about the official routes and stops. In recent years we have taken to skipping venues so that we could do our own thing and see the sights we want to see. This year we are planning to skip Birmingham entirely and stay at the Gearhead Inn. We will likely be missing most of the official route Monday and Tuesday but we will have 2 days of HRPT free traffic in the Smoky Mountains. Chattanooga to Gearhead Inn is 150 Miles and Gearhead Inn to Atlanta Motor Speedway is 190 miles.

I figured I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else is interested in joining us.
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Hey Chris,

PM sent.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Hey Chris! I've still got signs for you from last year... if I ever make it up that way they will eventually get delivered

If you need someone to collect the magnets (Etc. ) that you might miss on your detour, let me know
      Last edited by Redline04; April 26, 2018, 06:29 PM.
      '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
      '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
      79 Trans Am project
      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Too bad we can’’t make it (family trip conflict) this year or we’’d join you.
        Last edited by moparjim71; April 26, 2018, 07:46 PM.
        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Chris has a good plan, The concept. It ain't all that bad. I tried to help with it, it's not at all a bad idea.

Comment

The Gear Head Inn, it's one of the greatest places on earth. It's because Jim and Mary have made it be so. But if you go there in the middle of the week, and we've done that, you'll be looking in all directions wondering, "Where is everybody?"

GHI is a weekend place. And WHAT a place, more fun than the law allows. But if y'all want to fill the place in the middle of a week, we'll be there. And Jim and Mary will love it, and we'll love it, too.

EDIT: Okay Sunday, that's weird enough. That's do-able.
            Last edited by pdub; April 28, 2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
              Hey Chris! I've still got signs for you from last year... if I ever make it up that way they will eventually get delivered

If you need someone to collect the magnets (Etc. ) that you might miss on your detour, let me know
              Thanks John - I may take you up on that offer. And thanks for getting our missing pieces last year. We appreciate it.
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                Chris has a good plan, The concept. It ain't all that bad. I tried to help with it, it's not at all a bad idea.
                Thanks again for the offer! We haven't gotten any firm confirmations at this point, so it will likely be a quiet night, which is just fine for us.
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Looking at the routes for Monday (to Birmingham) and Tuesday (to Atlanta), I would expect that we would be skipping the route entirely both days. Our plan at this point is to head from Chattanooga to the Tail of the Dragon and then on to the Gearhead Inn taking in any other sites we can identify along the way. On the way to Atlanta Motor Speedway, We would likely head straight south through Mountain City, Tallulah Falls and Athens to avoid downtown Atlanta. More research is needed but that is the general idea. If you know if any must see attractions in those areas, please let us know.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Chris, check this place out:

Tank Town USA is the ultimate heavy equipment playground. Whether you want to drive a military tank, military trucks or construction equipment, Tank Town USA has it all!

This is on the way if you are leaving GHI and a very scenic drive.

An hour at Tank Town will have you ready for Atlanta Traffic...
                    Last edited by htrdharley; May 9, 2018, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Chevelles 69

Bar & Grill

Address: 983 NC-69, Hayesville, NC 28904
                      Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 11AM
                      Phone: (828) 389-6069

Decent place to sort of along the way down from GHI
                      Last edited by htrdharley; May 9, 2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas Lars!
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                          Looking at the routes for Monday (to Birmingham) and Tuesday (to Atlanta), I would expect that we would be skipping the route entirely both days. Our plan at this point is to head from Chattanooga to the Tail of the Dragon and then on to the Gearhead Inn taking in any other sites we can identify along the way. On the way to Atlanta Motor Speedway, We would likely head straight south through Mountain City, Tallulah Falls and Athens to avoid downtown Atlanta. More research is needed but that is the general idea. If you know if any must see attractions in those areas, please let us know.
                          Cherohala Skyway is a great drive on the way to the TOD.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                            If you are definitely doing that, I think it's a great plan! We love Gearhead. Of course, you should go along the river and possibly do Tail of the Dragon or the Fontana Dam or possibly both before you get to Gearhead between Chattanooga and there. Bryson City is a great place, but might be kinda quiet on a Sunday, but check out the calendar for the city or county in NC for events. Coming from Gearhead there are several ways to travel to get toward Atlanta Motor Speedway. You can take 28 (kinda the back way) through Franklin and Highlands and then go south to Dillard (very scenic and a little narrow and twisty), you can also take the route you mentioned and still go through Cherokee/441 and down through Franklin. Franklin, Dillard and Clayton along 441 are all really quaint little towns. It will be a pretty good haul down to Hampton from there

Comment

If you travel through Dillard, GA, be sure to stop at the Dillard House for a meal.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X