No announcement yet.

Power Tour Detour - Gearhead Inn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow I've got so much stuff on cameras to sort through. This is a still shot that Tank Town Todd took with my video camera after the deed was done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Empowered.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	1204645
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I've got 24 video clips I'll put together in sequence if I can figure out how. This one is a raw clip. My camera has a flatscreen display and in the bright sun you really can't tell what you're aiming at, as you'll see for a moment or two.

Watch how good Tank Town Todd is, listen to what he's saying and how he says it. He's in the right line of work, a real people person. Teresa is driving the tank. Watch Todd take the camera away from Chris and take Chris' photo and then make Teresa pose for another photo in the driver's seat. And then he instructs Sue Unit to hold the big black umbrella over me and my camera to make sure the sun's glare doesn't interfere with the video. This was just too cool. There was a carload of people there who were only watching and Todd welcomed them just as well. Todd's into this full-time, what an imaginative way to make a living, and it's too dadgum much fun.

Comment

It's gonna take me a week to put those Tank Town video clips together, if I can do it at all. In the meantime, here's a piece of one of the runs we took on Tail of the Dragon.

Where we were eating lunch in Murphy NC I told Chris, when we get to the Dragon, I'll point you around, you lead and I'll film your Mustang running it. We were relying upon my GPS to gets us around. So I waved them by at the bottom and away they went.

My GoPro camera wasn't filming. I knew it. I kept F-ing with with it, I had the sense that every time I hit the START button, it was taking a still shot rather than starting a video. I don't know how they knew it, but Chris and Teresa noticed that going on, me struggling with the camera behind them. So Chris pulled over into one of the pulloffs on the Dragon. I took the camera down from the windshield sucker-thing, and yeah, it needed some coaching.

Got it recording and Chris pulled away. Here we go, we're Hollywood now.

The Dragon is a dangerous place. It's not so dangerous except for the folks coming the other direction, that's what's actually scary.

I've driven enough road courses enough times long enough to know, stay away from the paint on the roadway. The paint is slick as snot compared to the asphalt when you're pulling some serious lateral G's.

Watch at 1:30, the high school warrior in the black car comes into the scene, coming into that curve HOT. Pause the video at 1:33. Look at it. The video doesn't do it justice, it happened so fast. And you can't hear the sounds.

The idiot had both left wheels on the stripe, and his left front wheel was locked up coming past us, sliding on the paint. We missed him, but even as I concentrated on the curve I was expecting to hear the sound of impact, that car hitting a tree. I guess he didn't because we turned around later and came back the other direction and there was not an emergency scene going on. Either that, or he miraculously went between two trees and went about 500 feet down the mountain and nobody ever knew how it started except for us.

Every time we run the Dragon, I swear that's the last time ever. But we wanted to show Chris and Teresa where it is.

Last edited by pdub; June 12, 2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

You can decorate the victim car with spray paint before you mash it with the Army tank, and you can also beat it with a sledgehammer. This is called Therapy. This is over the top fun.

Last edited by pdub; June 12, 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

The sledgehammer Treatment.....I was trying to watch through the camera viewfinder when I realized....If that side mirror comes flying off, it's comimg for ME. I'll film my own death, and the caption will be, "That's the last thing he ever saw....." HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by pdub; June 12, 2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Such irony......well, not really! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Comment

Here we go. What a heck of a great day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris and Peewee.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1204707

Comment

The GPS kept hollering, "Approaching State Border!" Like we should know that, like maybe if you're not allowed in that next state due to a prior criminal conviction, you'd better turn around. We did Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia. And we messed with the state line a whole lot of times.

And following the GPS, on the way to Tank Town, we led Chris and Teresa down a gravel road. DID. A LONG gravel road, that beautiful green 66 Mustang following us. I looked in the mirror and I couldn't see them for all the gravel dust. That sucked. It had to suck to be them, and I hated it. But we were all on that gravel road before we knew it. Stop sign, go straight. Can't even "see" straight. I see a stop sign on the other side of this intersection, facing the other way, so straight it is. Over the hump, great faith in "straight"......holy crap this is a now a gravel road. And it went on for a WHILE before it suddenly became paved again.

We saw double wide trailers and bird feeders and lawn chairs and a few more gravel roads that intersected with the gravel road we were driving on. I don't think Chris and Teresa saw any of that, they were too lost in the gravel dust we were slinging up behind us.

Comment

Here's the Tank Town video, everything I shot. And of course I messed it up putting it all together, there were so many clips to glue together. Eventually you see Teresa driving the tank around and them you see Chris and Teresa climbing up onto the tank for the first time. Don't get confused by the time flow. That's my bad. At least it all happened on the same day. I should be a legitimate member of the media, and I'd probably rate highly in that profession. But this is called fun, this was just too much fun to watch and film at the same time.

Comment

When we got to the bottom and stopped on the Maryville end of the Dragon, Chris asked me, "Is there another way to get to Gear Head Inn from here, some road more relaxing?"

I already knew the answer. I punched it into GPS and there were two choices. Turn around and do it again, or take about an extra hour and a half to get there. I knew why he asked, neither one of us wanted to do the Dragon again. Time factor, it didn't take Chris but about a half second to make the call, we were running out of daylight by then. "Let's go back."

I will never run the Dragon again. The next time tourists come to see us, and as great friends they turn out to be, I'll TELL them where the Dragon is, and hope they find it. We're not going.

Comment

So not for cars with manual drum brakes and no power steering?
                        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                          So not for cars with manual drum brakes and no power steering?
                          Chris got power brakes working just before the trip. But he admitted the steering was still a bit of an issue.

The Dragon is not for the feint of heart. That's a great place to get killed for no real reason except to say that you've done it. There are better roads up there, prettier roads with less traffic.

Comment

You should also have good brakes when you go down the really steep hills.

Comment

Working...
                            X