Change in plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in plans

After driving the 64 SS Impala to Myrtle beach I have decided it's not going on the tour this year. It just not fuel friendly enough for me. 13 MPG at 65-70 MPH. I have 2 other vehicles that double the gas mileage of it so with that being said I'll be driving MZ EDNA!
    For those of you who don't know we bought her from Lee Talent after the last Power tour I did in 2016. She has a LT1 with 4L60 which gets 20 MPG! So I will be taking the 64 to my dads in few weeks to get her and make sure she is ready for the tour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3207.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	618.9 KB
ID:	1194232
    Retirement is better than I thought!

Nice trade off!
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Nicely played Andy!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I like the side view of a 56 but not the front end. I will always like the 55 best. Just like 65 chevelles are way better than 64s. Lt1s ought to be cheap now that LS engines are so popular. I put a FI tech TBI on my 350 last year.

Comment

Just for fun. While heading to the beach, the speedometer is about 9MPH fast per my Iphones GPS and Garmen.
          I dropped off the factory tach to have it fixed on the way to the beach. D&M restrorations in Greenville SC

Your #1 Vintage and Classic Car Gauge Restoration and Repair Authority! Gauges, Radios, Clocks, Wiper motors, Window motors and Carpet, We handle it all!

They claim they can fix any factory gauge!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	1194256
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post
            I like the side view of a 56 but not the front end. I will always like the 55 best. Just like 65 chevelles are way better than 64s. Lt1s ought to be cheap now that LS engines are so popular. I put a FI tech TBI on my 350 last year.
            How do you like the FI Tech injection set up? I'm considering one in place of the Holley on the 403 in my TA project.
            '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
            '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
            79 Trans Am project
            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post

How do you like the FI Tech injection set up? I'm considering one in place of the Holley on the 403 in my TA project.
              Haven't driven it much. It starts easier. It could use some tuning/time to self tune. The temp sensor in the intake disagrees with the mechanical one in the head. I replaced the crank and rods after a spun bearing and now it runs cold. I think that is why it idles high. I have a trickle charger on it due to the drain on the battery and not running the car often enough. It has sat all winter. I like the display. It can show A/F ratio, air temp, water temp, vacuum, and several other things like tach and volts. I got a deal on ebay for the tbi fuel center and a cool throttle bracket for $900 last mothers day. The push on hoses are a royal pain but have not leaked yet. Runs around 60 psi.
              I need to swap out body bushings to hopefully take the slop out; everything else is new. Should get new bolts first.

Comment

I remember someone telling MPG shouldn't matter... can't remember who that was at the moment.
                1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Smiles per gallon.

Comment

The big red thing I was driving got 13

I have a 6 liter ( out of 2000 or so Escalade) 28K miles complete with front drive, hydraboost system,. master cylinder, fuse box and all the wiring in between never disconnected. $1800.00 Come get it. Drop a 4L80 behind it and you should be in the 20 MPG range with more power.

Comment

My 08 charger with a 3.5 V6 can get 30+ on the interstate but lucky to get 12 around town. No better than the 92 dakota I used to drive.

Comment

Well as I've already said we'll be in the 11 SS Camaro again, now I love driving it and doing a little suspension upgrades as we speak and it runs like a scalded dog all the while getting 20-27 MPG, BUT I can't wait to get the 68 Impala with it's uhh 468 fuel efficient Big block ( LOL )
                        on tour.
                        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

My el camino will make at least on stop some day if it gets improved or the venue is close enough.

Comment

I have 4 classic's vehicles that I can drive. 2 of them would just be down right wrong to drive them on such a long drive. It would just kill them faster driving them. The other 2 will do it just fine. In fact one has done 4 tours without any mechanical problems at all. Knock on wood! The other one is about to do it's first tour. With that said I sure hope the 56 will be as good on the tour as the 71 C10 has been. Maybe in the future the Impala will make it.

Comment

See, there ya go backing out on me and crappy fuel economy!
                              HRPT 12 Miami and Stillwater, OK, 13 Arlington to Memphis, 14/15 Vetoed by Wife, 16 Long Haul, 17/18/19 motor fiasco

Comment

Working...
                              X