Could have been!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could have been!

I've been working on the 64 Impala to get it ready for the 18 HRPT and to take it to Myrtle Beach car show next month. I was under it yesterday doing general looking to see if anything was wrong. Well I was surprised to say I did find something! This could have been a really bad disaster if it had come out on the road at 70MPH. I installed a temperary bolt until I can get a grade 8 this week and hopefully find a washer also.
    I decided to check the other 7 and all of them where loose. Yes I had a jackstand under the frame also.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	28276258_1603829366390963_8367105933646443009_n.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1191546
    Attached Files
    Retirement is better than I thought!

One of the upper control arm bolts broke on mine because it wasn't grade 8. Both flashers were unplugged and the collar that mounts the steering column to the firewall was removed. Most of the car had a half inch of bondo and several layers of paint. The grill was home made and the headlight springs were replaced with some kind of glue/filler. One of the tail pipes fell off right after I got it and the down pipes from the engine were smashed. Seller put a hole in the oil pan putting it on a dolly to tow it here and didn't pull the drive shaft. Pulled the engine to change the oil pan and it already had a bolt braised in to plug a hole. The clutch was completely used up so I put an automatic back in it for $50. They cut a hole in the floor to install a three speed with a homemade looking shifter handle. The bellhousing had a crack in the bottom I didn't notice until I sold it at the swap meet. The speedometer cable was damaged so who knows what the real mileage was. It said 35k if I remember right. I don't think the 307 was original anyway. Same goes for the 12 bolt. The Qjet carb coded as being off a heavy truck. Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by stu yoakam; February 25, 2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Well after going and getting what I thought I needed to fix the lower control arm shaft I decided to take the passenger side out and look. That bolt is fine threads the one I got is coarse. So I went and bought a new shaft this morning and going to swap the shafts out to get it back right. I put the coarse bolt in with lock thread and lock washer. It may hold just fine but I'm not willing to take the chance at 70-80 MPH.

Comment

Years ago I was getting an oil change and they said my tie rod was bad. The socket was worn out I think it was the outer end don't remember what side it was on. Same car blew a brake hose and a wheel bearing on different days. I'd like to think I am over pouring money into junk cars.

Comment

Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post
          Years ago I was getting an oil change and they said my tie rod was bad. The socket was worn out I think it was the outer end don't remember what side it was on. Same car blew a brake hose and a wheel bearing on different days. I'd like to think I am over pouring money into junk cars.
          Junk car's!
          Last edited by Andy4639; February 27, 2018, 07:08 PM.

Comment

The control shaft is replaced and driving it Friday I stopped at 2 front alignment shops to try and get the front end aligned. Neither shop could do it. said the rear wheel wells where to low and the targets couldn't work.

Comment

Need to find a good old fashioned alignment shop....(grumble grumble) the price we pay for technology....Frickin' Laser beams....
              Click image for larger version  Name:	its-got-frickin.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	1193226
              Last edited by silver_bullet; March 11, 2018, 07:26 AM.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I think it was the 92? Caprice. The first year they had low openings in the back. I tried to explain how the aftermarket arms I put on the el camino allowed for extra caster/camber gain over stock. Even showed an article from Car Craft or whatever magazine but they didn't care.

Comment

about the only option could be to check with local rod shops in the Spartanburg area to see who they might recommend to do an old school 2 wheel alignment....
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Andy

You seem to be very competent - so have you considered doing your own alignments? There are several ways to get there. You can build a caster gauge like the dirt track cars use which hooks into the ball joint studs or you can buy the DYI camber tool. I use the dirt track style and have been fairly successfully doing my own.

With a digital level you can check / set camber. With that same level you can check caster using a tool you can make at home. So what you do is cut a piece of tubing that locates on the ball joint studs. It needs to be fairly precise but based on the pictures you have shown on your bicycle stuff - you should have no issue with that part. Then you weld a tube on that piece at a 90* angle that you use your digital level to measure caster. Even if the tools isn't a perfect 90* you can adjust your caster settings. Finally toe adjustments can be done with a pair of tape measures or a toe gauge. I broke down and bought a longacre tow gauge but you can also use toe plates which are a little cheaper to buy / make

Comment

I'm in the same boat with the pinto the guy that used to do mine has since died. I don't need one right now but I'm sure someday I will.
                      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

The problem I've ran into is that they don't have the shims, so I've gone around to my junk front end's and swiped all the shims and carry them with me in case I need some.
                        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

cstmwgn,

I actually have a bar already but it's for golf carts and it's at my beach house! I could add to it though I guess without much problem.

Good advise from you all. Thanks. I have 2 more places to call today and hope one of them will be able to get it done before I leave for the beach. The first one is the same guy who did it when I bought the new wheels & tires.

Comment

Good luck to you sir!
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Got a appointment for 1pm Wed to get it done. Same people who did it last time. Hopefully I have enough time to go by http://dandmrestoration.com/ and drop off the factory tach at their place and have it like new again.

Comment

Working...
                              X