No announcement yet.

New Power Tour Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Pinto had a clear Ohio title even though it came from Fla. My Torino had a Tennessee Title I just had to get and out of state inspection done and have a new title made. My Econoline had a stuck in the middle R.I. and P.a. title so we had to go back to the guy in R.I. and pay him $300.00 to get us a new R.I. title made and sign it over to us. Then get a out of state inspection done and a new Ohio title made but this was all done before any money changed hands on our end. All my cars have clear titles and tags before i start work on them. This lesson was thought to me by a friend of mine he restored a 36 chevy then applied for a title turns out the car had been stolen from out of state and the owner end up taking back the car without even a thank you on a well done restoration. The courts told him he should have applied for registration before he put all the money and time in it and he didn't have and agreement with the legal owner to do the work on the car.
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Like I previously mentioned, I got a clear Iowa title with the car & it was signed over to me. And they were told by the Iowa DMV to do a bill of sale showing that no money changed hands and have it signed by both of us. So I had a copy of that. But here they insisted on having a copy of the previous owners last registration to prove that they had paid sales tax on it. When I pointed out that sales tax would only appear on their first registration they said they needed it because it was an "even trade". When I pointed out the signed bill of sale stating an "even trade" they switched the reason to because it was an out of state transaction. All the time they were imploring me to "just call the Iowa DMV & have them fax a copy to the office here". Out of frustration I left & steamed over it all weekend. Laura & I had encountered a heavy dose of "The Privacy Act" nonsense when her car had been rear-ended by a guy with no insurance last August. So I had my doubts.

First thing the next Monday morning I called the Iowa DMV & got a very nice lady there with a lot of experience in their office. She told me that they could not fax a copy to any fax # because of (drum roll here) "The Privacy Act". I should point out here that that has become an "out" for any insurance agent, public official, etc. that simply does not want to deal with something. If you haven't run into it yet just wait, you will. So the Iowa lady asked me to let her know what they said about that & we exchanged phone numbers. Later in the morning, as I am actually opening the door to the DMV here, she calls to see how I had come out. Told her that I was just walking in & asked if she would be willing to talk to the lady that I could not deal with here. So we had a speaker phone conversation. When the privacy act was mentioned the local gal says "and of course we fully respect the rules & laws in the State of Iowa but he will simply have to some how come up with that registration". Iowa even offered to fax a copy of his sales tax receipt from when he first got the car but no, they had to have a copy of his registration. At that point I said "so I am going to have to drive over there & get a copy"? Her smiling femi-nazi response was a curt, but still grinning, yes. "But it's OK". To which I replied "no, no it isn't".

So long story short, I spent 3-4 hours of my time driving over to Iowa to meet my contact there & get a copy of a registration that proved nothing concerning sales tax. But at least my blood pressure is back to somewhat normal.
      ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I had a title for my el camino but they registered it with a bill of sale any way. I was dumb enough to buy a car from Colorado where its good and snowy and all instead of someplace dry.

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post
          Like I previously mentioned, I got a clear Iowa title with the car & it was signed over to me. And they were told by the Iowa DMV to do a bill of sale showing that no money changed hands and have it signed by both of us. So I had a copy of that. But here they insisted on having a copy of the previous owners last registration to prove that they had paid sales tax on it. When I pointed out that sales tax would only appear on their first registration they said they needed it because it was an "even trade". When I pointed out the signed bill of sale stating an "even trade" they switched the reason to because it was an out of state transaction. All the time they were imploring me to "just call the Iowa DMV & have them fax a copy to the office here". Out of frustration I left & steamed over it all weekend. Laura & I had encountered a heavy dose of "The Privacy Act" nonsense when her car had been rear-ended by a guy with no insurance last August. So I had my doubts.

First thing the next Monday morning I called the Iowa DMV & got a very nice lady there with a lot of experience in their office. She told me that they could not fax a copy to any fax # because of (drum roll here) "The Privacy Act". I should point out here that that has become an "out" for any insurance agent, public official, etc. that simply does not want to deal with something. If you haven't run into it yet just wait, you will. So the Iowa lady asked me to let her know what they said about that & we exchanged phone numbers. Later in the morning, as I am actually opening the door to the DMV here, she calls to see how I had come out. Told her that I was just walking in & asked if she would be willing to talk to the lady that I could not deal with here. So we had a speaker phone conversation. When the privacy act was mentioned the local gal says "and of course we fully respect the rules & laws in the State of Iowa but he will simply have to some how come up with that registration". Iowa even offered to fax a copy of his sales tax receipt from when he first got the car but no, they had to have a copy of his registration. At that point I said "so I am going to have to drive over there & get a copy"? Her smiling femi-nazi response was a curt, but still grinning, yes. "But it's OK". To which I replied "no, no it isn't".

So long story short, I spent 3-4 hours of my time driving over to Iowa to meet my contact there & get a copy of a registration that proved nothing concerning sales tax. But at least my blood pressure is back to somewhat normal.
          Sorry about your troubles Mike. Looks like a nice car.
          Todd Des Moines IA HRPT 08 Short Haul 4 STOPS ----HOOKED LH 09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 Planning 19

Comment

Like PT 2012 when I had to rent a pickup and drive from Oklahoma to Kansas and back to get my spare transmission to fix the el camino and immediately drive back to Kansas (with no kickdown cable). Makes for a long day of driving.

Comment

Got to love bureaucracies. I get so mad having to do anything with the government.
              I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

Totally agree with you Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post

What size are the rally wheels on the '64?
                  18"x 8" all around.
                  Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

That is exactly what I bought for my '70 El Camino project. I call them "caricature" rally wheels. I also got 18x8's. But I got the small, round bow tie caps.

Comment

Yes, cold aftermarket A/C. And that was on my "want" list for the next PT car. I would also like it to have cruise & OD. I will be adding cruise before June. OD will have to wait.
                      The Studebaker has cold air and like you cruise is on its way. OD is also already on the car. Only a few more things to do before the car is once again ready for a long trip. As our first PT these new additions will make the car an even better touring car.

Comment

I had a few other things on my short list. I can not remember all of them at the moment. I think one was a dash cam & one a radar detector. This car already has a backup camera too. But after a twelve hour drive straight north from Dallas to home after the 2012 tour, the A/C went straight to the top of the list. The sun started on the left side of my head & ended up directly in front of my eyes. Even with sun glasses & the visor I had a headache for a couple of days.

Comment

Nice ride Mike.......btw is your info on the PT phone list current?
                          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Should be Dave. Nothing here has changed in a very long time. But anyone that calls will probably have to leave a message. I probably have as long a "contacts" list on my phone as anyone on the planet. But I tend not to answer most numbers that are not on there. Just too many junk calls anymore. But I do return messages. Most of the time. Unless my CRS kicks in.

Comment

That is exactly what I bought for my '70 El Camino project. I call them "caricature" rally wheels. I also got 18x8's. But I got the small, round bow tie caps.
                              I really like the look of them on the car. The 64 has factory looking AC, but it runs 134-A freon. Power steering, 350 with power glide. Hope to put a 700-R4 in it later but not before the tour. I bought some SS emblems and put on the center caps. I think it looks good with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1191305
                              Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Finally got the new wheels for this '63 after three tries. First, three of the four were damaged. Second, both of the back ones were the wrong wheels. Some tuner type wheels that I have never seen before. But finally they got me the correct ones. American Torq-Thrust D's. 15 x 7's and 15 x 8-1/2's. Now to find the tires that I want.

Comment

Working...
                                X