First timer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer questions

I have never done Power Tour previously and have a couple of questions. As far as room reservations go I am not sure how to choose. With some already sold out I guess I need to make these decisions right away. I don't know how close the official ending point for the day is to each lodging site and thus am wondering how to make lodging decisions based on such locations. I also am wondering about the route each day. Is there an official route or routes. With 6000 cars I cannot imagine how this is done. I have not yet seen a way to officially register, when does this information come out? Finally (maybe), we might have two cars from our local Studebaker club both planning for the Long Haul. Are there special things we need to do for this aspect of the journey? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by JRoberts; December 29, 2017, 08:26 AM.

Hotels fill up very fast so the sooner you make reservations the better. It is hard to pick hotels when you don't know the venue but if you have to guess - I would look for hotels in the host city that appear to be towards the next day's venue. Some people like to book rooms some distance (20 - 50 miles) outside the venue to get a jump on the crowd but it does make it a little difficult as we don't get the "official" route until mid May typically. And yes, there is a published route (turn by turn) provided by HRPT. We like to drive the route as it is often like a parade in the small towns with the locals coming out with their lawn chairs to watch the show.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

There is a hotel thread - that might give you some ideas on where some of the bangshifters are staying. One thing you can be sure of - if you stay within 10 miles of the venue - you will have a ton of hotrods staying there with you.

Comment

Book your hotels in the host city (or down the road towards the next venue as Alan mentioned) for that evening and you wake up and head for the next venue, lather, rinse, repeat.

BG check-out Sunday 6/10
          stay Chatt Sun 6/10
          stay Birmingham 6/11
          etc.

PT registration should open up next month on - line at HotRod.com.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

What happens on the first day, June 9th? I see on the site for lodging that they expect you to arrive on the 8th and depart on the 10th, meaning 2 nights in Bowling Green.

Comment

there is early registration/pick up reg stuff on that Friday for folks who get in early.....there is also on site registration/pick up reg materials on that Saturday (the first day); Saturday, June 9th, is the beginning of the gathering
              Last edited by rexdogg; December 29, 2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                What happens on the first day, June 9th? I see on the site for lodging that they expect you to arrive on the 8th and depart on the 10th, meaning 2 nights in Bowling Green.
                You can show up on Saturday you don't have to arrive early. They set up a Veterans car show for the local vets. So some of us show up early for that but you don't have too. Mainly everyone signs up on Friday to beat the rush on Saturday and check the venders and then try and hook up with all the people they hang out with one or two times a year.
                Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

The registration information will be on the Hot Rod website. The route directions go from one venue to the next. I go from room to room and then to the venue.

Comment

You may want to take a newer car so you don't have to worry about it until your second or third trip. Distance from home/help is a factor. My 71 is still waiting for redemption after 2012. I think it was the converter.

Comment

Another possibly ridiculous question: The starting date for this year's Power Tour is June 9th. Does that mean it leaves Bowling
                      Green that morning and you have to check in on the 8th or does it leave Bowling Green on the morning of the 10th getting into the next stop that evening?

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        Another possibly ridiculous question: The starting date for this year's Power Tour is June 9th. Does that mean it leaves Bowling
                        Green that morning and you have to check in on the 8th or does it leave Bowling Green on the morning of the 10th getting into the next stop that evening?
                        We will leave Bowling Green Sunday morning, June 10.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

You will generally want your reservations each night for the town that the venue was in that day. The first day is the exception & then only if you want to arrive the day before for some of the reasons mentioned above. And you will not need a reservation for day #7 if you plan on getting on the road for home after the event ends in late afternoon.
                          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it. With that I do have another question.

When registration is open does everybody in the car register individually or do you register the car and the occupants are automatically registered?

Comment

You register you car (on-line in advance is cheaper, should open this month) - you will then get two set of credentials on the day of check in - they usually ask for your license and registration and proof of insurance at check in too, but not always.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X