Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 HRPT things to See along what might be the Route.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
    so this maybe a little out of the way but i am thinking about the American museum of science and energy in oak ridge tenn
    Charlotte has a nice one too!
    Discovery Place Science is a Charlotte Museum creating transformative experiences that enable our community to understand, enjoy and apply science to their lives.

We're building an exciting new future at the Sullenberger Aviation Museum in Charlotte, NC, where history and STEM education soar. Home of Flight 1549, the "Miracle on the Hudson."

Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

This is a lot of fun and usually open 7 days a week.

Welcome to GoPro Motorplex in Mooresville, NC – Let's Go Karting! Reach speeds of 55mph on our world-class outdoor 11-turn kart-racing track! Perfect for individual racers, large group races and corporate team building events!

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
        This is a lot of fun and usually open 7 days a week.

Welcome to GoPro Motorplex in Mooresville, NC – Let's Go Karting! Reach speeds of 55mph on our world-class outdoor 11-turn kart-racing track! Perfect for individual racers, large group races and corporate team building events!

Yes it is and it was a blast back in 13!

Comment

Agreed, fun, fun, fun, of course refreshments at Lars' house was also fun, fun, fun
          nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

the science museum in oak ridge was a secret wwii built city to build the atomic bomb

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
              Even if you are not a Hendrick Motorsports fan, it is worth the stop. Very close to Z Max
              Hendrick Motorsports Museum and Team Shop
              Wow, that's right around the corner from the hotel I stayed at in 2014 (and will be staying in 2018). Always hated Hendrick but will have to go check it out just because.

(and then redeem myself over at Team Penske)

2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
              1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
              1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Must see is the Wellborn Muscle car museum. A little out of the way to Atlanta in Alexander City Al. Did it a few years ago got to see again.
                Todd Des Moines IA HRPT 08 Short Haul 4 STOPS ----HOOKED LH 09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 Planning 19

Comment

Old Car City -- I think this is located in the Atlanta area. I just got an email from a friend about this place. If anybody here knows about this place it looks like an interesting place to take in if it is anywhere close to the route we will be on.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                    Old Car City -- it looks like an interesting place to take in if it is anywhere close to the route we will be on.
                    This place looks absolutely awesome, but is almost 80 miles north of AMS so I can't imagine it being on the route. Plus, it's closed on Tuesday.
                    2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                    1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                    1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      Old Car City -- I think this is located in the Atlanta area. I just got an email from a friend about this place. If anybody here knows about this place it looks like an interesting place to take in if it is anywhere close to the route we will be on.
                      According to the website. No pictures at anytime took unless paid for upfront. $15.00 per person just to walk around. Not a high priority on my list.
                      And as stated it's way north of Atlanta speedway which would mean you go through Atlanta!
                      Last edited by Andy4639; March 5, 2018, 06:10 PM.

Comment

stopped at the wellborn museum several yrs ago . i know he sold some of his cars at the Kissimmee auction a few yrs ago

Comment

you can stay at the Chattanooga choo choo hotel in tenn

Comment

For us a must is a visit to the Varsity in Atlanta, been going there since the early '60s. Of course we are spending that night in Gainesville so going through downtown Atlanta is not far out of our way. Check it out: https://www.thevarsity.com/
                            Car Fever, works for me

Comment

The Varsity Theater here used to be a movie theater a long time ago. Now its just a clothing store. The old marquis is still on the front of the building though.

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
                                http://www.thedukesofhazzard.nl/georgia.htm
                                Outside of Atlanta and on the way to Darlington, Covington/Conyers, GA...where they filmed some of the early Dukes Of Hazzard episodes. Expect to see a few Dodge Chargers peeling off there.

Problem with that is that it'll be a long day already...may have to get an early start to see some of this stuff...
                                They've also filmed Walking Dead in Covington.........the town is really awesome and lots of places to eat, but it will be early to eat there. As time gets closer, I'll try to scope some places out for us.

I'm also going to recommend Barber Motorsports Park and Museum. Was a great place to visit this weekend, and although the museum is mainly motorcycles, there are also some cars there. Really cool place, $15pp
                                Last edited by dianeokie; March 11, 2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X