Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 HRPT things to See along what might be the Route.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's also Cheaha state park/mountain in the Talladega national Forest, highest point in Alabama. It has some good curvy and scenic roads in and out. I suppose depending on the route you could actually stay there and pick the route up the next day
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

South Carolina and North Carolina have some great things to offer. NASCAR for one in a big way. Darlington is home to the http://www.darlingtonraceway.com/Abo...ar-Museum.aspx Harley knows the best about the Nascar teams and such up around Charlotte & Mooresville. We had a blast last time in Charlotte with his bunch.
      North Carolina has a nice Zoo in www.facebook.com/nczoo/ or https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Carolina.html
      Charlotte/Concord has a great water park. https://www.greatwolf.com/concord
      If you don't plan to leave and go straight home after Charlotte and have kids are grandkids this place is where I would book my weekend and stay here.www.greatwolf.com/concord it amazing!

Richard Petty museum also and we should try to contact Kyle Petty and have a stop at his place for the kids!
      Visit the Richard Petty Museum and purchase merchandise

https://victoryjunction.org/ This would be a cool stop if we could set it up! Anybody got any contacts?

Last edited by Andy4639; December 10, 2017, 10:33 AM.
      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Dad and I have been scouring the map and came up with a few possibilities for our extracurricular stops...............

Chattanooga
        Lookout Mountain/Incline Railway

between Birmingham and Atlanta Motor Speedway
        Davey Allison Memorial in Talladega
        Cheaha State Park

between Atlanta Motor Speedway and Darlington (((Probably going rogue this day.)))
        Check-in at Power Tour, then head up to Covington/Conyers to see some of the old Dukes Of Hazzard filming sites.
        We are staying quite a bit east of AMS in Madison, GA so we can get a head start on the long drive to Darlington.
        Dad wants to drive through Augusta
        War Between The States Museum in Florence, SC

Darlington, SC
        Darlington Raceway Museum & NMPA HOF

between Darlington and Raleigh
        drive past Rockingham Speedway?

on the ride home from NC to OH
        Wood Brothers Museum (Stuart, VA)
        or
        Andy Griffith Museum (Mt. Airy, NC)
        2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
        1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
        1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

The official route may or may not be Route WE DRIVE.

this WILL be a good year For the Drive!

Comment

I always take the back roads from Raleigh to events at Charlotte Motor Speedway (US 64 through Asheboro, then Highway 49 to Concord). It's a nice, scenic drive on divided Highway and two-lane blacktop, passes a couple of big lakes and an really big junkyard, (Richard's Sales & Salvage in Denton NC) but that's only 2.5 hrs. Richard Petty's Shop has been a sponsor for the last couple of years and they are located in Randleman, NC, just north of this route. I wonder if that might be a lunch stop or at least a detour.
            Non-denominational car nut.
            Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
            Do you go all the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Impala_Guy View Post
              I always take the back roads from Raleigh to events at Charlotte Motor Speedway (US 64 through Asheboro, then Highway 49 to Concord). It's a nice, scenic drive on divided Highway and two-lane blacktop, passes a couple of big lakes and an really big junkyard, (Richard's Sales & Salvage in Denton NC) but that's only 2.5 hrs. Richard Petty's Shop has been a sponsor for the last couple of years and they are located in Randleman, NC, just north of this route. I wonder if that might be a lunch stop or at least a detour.
              Charlies according to the magazine website yes it a official stop for lunch.
              The HOT ROD Power Tour event is billed as the largest traveling car show in the world.

Some more stuff to maybe do:

http://www.hamlethistoricdepot.org/
              Last edited by Andy4639; December 15, 2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

The Petty shop in Randleman is a cool place. The original garage where they started is still there. They also have a small museum and a shop where they build the late model stuff. two lane road in and out, be prepared.

That is a great part of NC to drive through...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post

[B][COLOR=#FF0000]Charlies according to the magazine website yes it a official stop for lunch.
                  The HOT ROD Power Tour event is billed as the largest traveling car show in the world.
                  Ooops. I hadn't looked at the website at all. At least someone else had the same idea too.
                  Non-denominational car nut.
                  Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                  Do you go all the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Impala_Guy View Post
                    I use to drive that way years ago when I would go to NCSU to pick up my brother at school and bring him home for the holidays and weekends. That was a fun trip everytime. I talking 76,77,78 before I got out of high school. It's probably changed a lot since then though!

Comment

I agree this could be the best full week drive in a while.

if we get a list of known car stops and drives, then compare to ? Route.

then make the drive YOU want to do
                      CB

Comment

Plotting The Stops
                        Last edited by 1956NY150; December 16, 2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I need to decide what stops, if any I want to go to. Two or three at most. Maybe check out Nashville or some place and come back after the second or third day.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            A few years ago pumpkin took us on a route down the Lafayette Road just South of Chattanooga through the Chickamauga Battlefield. A beautiful drive, well worth it. The route might go that way........
                            That was a very cool trip, it was my first Power Tour, I have a great memory of you an Earl. (I was still not familiar with everybody)

We are traveling down some road, an at a stop light I see Ed get out of his truck, and start polishing the front on the hood of Earl.

I'm thinking, man this guy really has OCD about waxing his car to to get out an polish it at a red light.

Well when we finally stop, I find out that just before the red light some bird pooped on the hood of Earl. :O

I don't blame you for getting out and taking care of that issue (This might not sound funny now, and it might have been one of those "had to have been there moments")
                            So. Central PA
                            Long Hauler 2010 & 2011 (2 stops 2014) 2015

NERR 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X