• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 145 to go
    66 NOVA , 2017 MUSTANG GT
    WST '16 '17

Comment

Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• 1 4 5
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

• 144..... Fort Pierre and Pierre South Dakota are two different towns, in two different counties, in two different time zones, separated by the Missouri River, yet named after the same French fur trader Pierre Chouteau Jr. Fort Pierre was Fort Pierre Chouteau. In 1743 this land was claimed for France by two French explorers from Quebec, in 1804 Lewis and Clark met with the Teton Sioux at the confluence of the Bad River, 1832 Fort Pierre Chouteau was built becoming a major trading post in the region. The fort was sold to the Army in 1855, dismantled in 1857 and used to build Fort Randall.

Fort Pierre is "Cowboy Country", Legendary Bronc Rider Casey Tibbs hails from here. Casey Tibbs was a Rodeo Star, and also became a journalist, a movie star, a stuntman and shared time promoting and improving Rodeo. Ft. Pierre has a Casey Tibbs Rodeo Center Museum and Visitor Center.

Pierre is the Capitol of South Dakota. The Dakota Territorial Capitol was originally located in Yankton, near the Missouri River. After statehood in 1889, the state capitol was moved to Pierre for its central location. The South Dakota State Capitol is a great place to visit. This Capitol Building is much the same as Montana's Capitol building. around the Capitol complex are memorials, sculptures and statues, the most remarkable is the WW II Veterans Memorial on Capitol Lake. Pierre is central to all things government in South Dakota.

North of Pierre and Fort Pierre is Oahe (O ah he) Dam, the fourth upstream dam on the Missouri River, the last and largest dam in South Dakota, and the second largest Missouri River dam. Oahe is named for the Lakota Sioux "Oahe Indian Mission" that was established in 1874. Oahe Dam forms Lake Oahe, it is the fourth largest man made reservoir in the US, stretching 231 miles to Bismark, ND. Construction started in 1948, taking until 1958 to reach the crest height of approximately 245 feet above the original water level, President John F Kennedy dedicated the Dam in 1962. The Cheyenne and Standing Rock Reservations lost a lot of land and fertile soil due to the flooding that took place as the reservoir filled. This is the large earthen dam Linda was referring to a few days ago.

I've not spent a lot of time here, usually passing through with a quick visit to the Capitol complex or going to Oahe Speedway drag strip 14 miles north. I will say this, if you ever find yourself visiting the Pierre area and looking for a great steak supper, go to Cattelman's Club Steak House, you wont be disappointed.
          200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
          Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Jim & Maureen
            There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
            HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

• Only 144 days to go. I went to Jr. high with a state senator's daughter. I remember touring the capital and getting to traverse the tunnel between the government buildings.

Comment

• 144 to go
                WST '16 '17

Comment

Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• 143...... After the discovery of gold in the Black Hills, hordes of people traveled west to seek fortunes of one kind or another. Many came by steam ship to Ft. Pierre then traveled the Deadwod Trail, or the Deadwood - Ft. Pierre Trail. Posted below is something I wrote for our car club trip last year.

The Old Deadwood Trail begins at the end of Hustan Ave in Fort Pierre near the southwest end of the present Colonel Waldron Missouri River Bridge. Following the discovery of gold in Deadwood in 1875, hordes of prospectors, gamblers and storekeepers headed for the Black Hills which was in the heart of the Great Sioux Reservation. The fact that they were trespassing on Indian land, didn’t stop them, and they kept coming from all directions. The shortest route to Deadwood was by steamboat from Yankton to Fort Pierre, and then this famous trail taking them across prairie and creeks to Deadwood.

At this place in Ft. Pierre, a wooden sign was erected in 1975 describing the Old Deadwood Trail.;

“At this point freight from the steamships coming up the Missouri River were unloaded onto oxen-drawn wagons for the 200 miles to Deadwood. The round-trip took 30 days over this famous old trail from 1876 to 1906. From 1876 to 1887, Northwestern Railway operated what they called the Bull Train. The 200 mile trip from Fort Pierre to Deadwood took 15 days. Twenty oxen pulled 3 wagons 20,000# of freight or 1,000# for each ox. They traveled from 4am to 10am, rested and grazed ox till 4pm then went again till dark. Thirty wagons and 200 oxen made the complete Bull Train plus extra 50 head used as replacements”.

US Highway 14 goes west from Ft. Pierre, this is also the point at which the Old Deadwood Trail begins, the landscape is hills and prairie grass land. Along the highway there are random signs explaining where the Old Deadwood trail lays with descriptions of stage stops and communities that were once there. Some of the wagon ruts are still visible according to the signs.

Roy & Edith Norman, hired hands, families and friends erected 52 signs every two miles marking the Fort Pierre to Deadwood Trail in 1975 from the Missouri River Bridge in Fort Pierre to the Pennington County line in South Dakota. Many of these signs are posted along Highway 14.

Here are a couple links that tell the story

http://www.capjournal.com/news/scout...9bb2963f4.html

Last edited by 200WINS; April 18, 2018, 03:57 AM.
                    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Jim & Maureen
                      There is a fine line between hobby and obsession and I think I crossed it!!
                      HRPT Long Haulers 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013

Comment

• 143 days to go and taxes are done! The IRS computers crashed yesterday, lol.

Comment

WST '16 '17

Comment

Comment

• 1 4 2
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

• 142..... US Highway 14 is one of the original US roadways established in 1926. This highway connected downtown Chicago to Yellowstone National Park crossing Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wyoming. Before the highway numbering system, US 14 was known as the Black and Yellow Trail due to the destinations of the Black Hills and Yellowstone on route.

US 14 enters South Dakota from Lake Benton, Minnesota near Brookings, SD. Parts of US 14 were named the Laura Ingalls Wilder National Highway in 1995. De Smet, SD is home to "The Little House on the Prairie" Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead and pageant. US 14 travels east to west, in about the middle of the state in east river. Cross into west river at Ft. Pierre and US 14 eventually heads south west toward Rapid City.

There are wide open spaces crossing the prairie going west with fewer communities along the way as compared to east river. US 14 meets up with I-90 near Wall, SD and continues as I-90 until Sundance, WY where US 14 makes a loop (part of Devils Tower Loop) reconnecting with I-90 at Moorcroft WY, where US 16 also joins I-90.

Alternate US 14 (US 14A), takes a "Hike" through the "Hills" at Sturgis, SD. From Sturgis, Boulder Canyon Highway (US 14A) leads through Boulder Canyon to Deadwood and Lead, connecting with US 85. From Lead, US 14A follows south with US 85 until Cheyenne Crossing, where US 14A becomes the extra scenic Spearfish Canyon Highway, passing through Savoy and ending in Spearfish, reconnecting with US 14 / I-90.

Spearfish Canyon is home to, Spearfish Creek, Spearfish Falls, Roughlock Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Spearfish Canyon Lodge, Latchstring Restaurant, 76 Trail and Devils Bathtub, Also, parts of Dances with Wolves were filmed here.

As with most old highways that have been realigned, there are pieces of Old US 14 here and there, and they're kind of fun to drive. I recommend seeking out and driving Old 14 from Spearfish to Sundance or Sundance to Spearfish, maybe stop in Beulah, WY. although most of it is next to I-90, some parts are pretty neat and not visible from the interstate...........

Note here...... We usually drive Spearfish Canyon from Spearfish to Cheyenne Crossing, looping back to Lead, (its better this way)......

No pictures here, two reasons, I don't have time to edit and resize photos for this forum board today, and I want you to see this stuff through your own eyes when we are there.......
                                Last edited by 200WINS; April 19, 2018, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X