Vehicle Ideas for Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Ideas for Next Year

Ok, so for those of you who don't know me, I'm a younger guy who has done the tour with my Grandfather for the last couple of years. I've had an absolute blast, but he's getting fatigued with doing the tour and doesn't want to go again next year. I've been wanting to Long Haul for many years now, and with 2 half tours under my belt, no wife or kids to take care of, and a steady job, I feel like 2018 should be the year...although, let's face it, I've been bit by the Powertour bug, this won't be my last Long Haul. But I digress.

To do it, I'll need to pick up a project to get together for next year. My daily is a Mustang, so I'll have a somewhat decent Plan B if for some reason I can't get it done in time. My purchase price budget is $4500, and I really don't want to go over a total investment of $7500. I've thought about the ubiquitous bagged truck, I've thought about late-60s and 70s era full size sedans, I've even thought about be really unique and getting something brought in from overseas, like a Commodore or Falcon out of Oz or an Opala out of Brazil. I want something kind of unique, but obviously, it needs to be able to be repaired on the fly- I'd like an International truck, or a Studebaker, but I'm not necessarily confident enough to try and engine swap, and I don't want to tour with the oddball motors that came in those. Ideas?
    HRPT 2016 - OKC, Wichita, KC
    HRPT 2017- KC, Newton, Davenport
    HRPT 2022 - Memphis, Nashville, Hoover, Pensacola

This is just my opinion and in no way meant to detour you off your goal. But what skills do you bring to the table depends on how much your going to spend on a car or truck. If you have to pay to get most or all of the work done it will kill your budget fast plus you will have to spend more for a car to begin with to save on work. Once you buy a vehicle your money will be best spent on reliability and safety more than beauty. As for a car local Craigslist or local ads swapmeet car shows someone who has started on a project and gave up or never made it to completion. Try and find something close to you to cut cost shipping can get pretty expensive. I wish you the best and can't wait to see what you come up with don't lose track of your goal but also don't forget to have fun on the journey.
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

One year to buy a car and get it ready is a fairly challenging timeframe. I bought my '63 Chevy II Nova SS in August 2006 for the next Power Tour and it didn't make it until 2008.

Comment

There are some unique looking old Ramblers out there, reliable, lower priced, and different enough so they might fit your bill. ( I keep looking at them myself) Old IH or Dodge pickups are cool too, and you don't see many.
        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

I don't know your skill level, but for a first timer? I'd recommend an 80's G body, 3rd gen camaro/firebird, or fox mustang. Most are currently pretty low priced (like $1,500-$2,500 for some!), easy to work on, and if you get newer than 83/84 will likely have OD, but swapping to a 700R isn't difficult. If you want to be an odd ball an 80's caprice wagon or 4 door dropped with cool wheels would be a comfortable cruiser too.

I mean, come on, these just look cool!

This beauty is on my local C list for 3K. Seriously, I have years and years of riding time in these cars, they ride really nice and the seats are like sitting in your living room sofa.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ct...183650575.html

A drop, some 17" TT2's or 17" salt flats... oh yeah. A/C, OD, add a nice stereo and tint, and roll!

*I should add I have a slight love for these cars, my grandpa had a new one every 3-4 years... 79, 83, 86, and 89... he refused to buy another one when they went to the "big ugly body style".

I honestly don't think your budget is even half of what you need to get a 60s/70's car in safe/road worthy enough shape for a power tour? *Please note that my standard of roadworthy is pretty high, I've seen quite a few PT cars I would NOT drive as far as some guys have, BUT they made it out and back!

An LS engine swap, even with Junkyard parts, can cost a few grand by the time you piece everything together. Money burns FAST when it comes to cars. I paid 13K for a REALLY nice "driveable" 65 Mustang, then spent another 10K on A/C, wheels/tires, complete front and rear suspension rebuild, swap from auto to 5 spd manual, complete interior redo, and a ton of other crap I'm forgetting.
          Last edited by Jesse James 80; July 15, 2017, 02:18 PM.
          1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by PacerRacer View Post

. My daily is a Mustang,
            So...what year is the Mustang?
            LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

I like the 77-79 Impala/Caprice. I had a two door and a four door at different times. I always had the bad habit of spending $10k on a $500 car. I am too old and fat now to feel like doing a lot of work and driving cars without a/c. If I ever get another old car it be a nice one. I have 10 years and loads of money into my el camino and it still needs paint and interior.

Comment

Comment

Reliability is the name of the game. It's no fun to do PT if you're constantly working on your car.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                    Reliability is the name of the game. It's no fun to do PT if you're constantly working on your car.
                    shoot - is that what I am doing wrong?

Comment

Jesse is onto something. You can also look at the 73-77 Chevelle/Malibu cars. They are popping up out there and a lot of them can be had cheap. Underpinnings match with the later 95-up Impala SS/Caprice cars along with late second gen Camaro and Trans Am cars. The motors, well they are small blocks with the rare big block in some of the 73's. Mine is a 75. I paid on the upper end of the scale for these but it is solid with no rust and was original so I'll be the one to modify it. It's a great size, cruises nice down the road and is unique in the sea of main stream cars you see on the tour. Just a idea. Here is mine. It should be painted by PT '18.
                      Visit my sons blog:
                      www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

This guy has a cool 77 Impala for sale on protouring .com that I would have been game if I didn't buy my Malibu.
                        1977 Chevy Impala 2dr. 43k mile South Dakota car, body/paint done 15+yrs. ago by previous owner. floorpans and framerails clean, not rusted like most of these cars. 454 engine rebuilt flat top pistons 781 oval heads shaved for approx. 9:1 comp. Lunati Voodoo 60204 cam Edelbrock RPM air-gap intake Holley DP 750 alum. rad.& trans cooler Turbo 400 trans. rebuilt Trans-Go shift kit, Coan 11" Pro Street 2800-3200 RPM torque conv. 8.5" 10 bolt rearend limited slip hwy. gears 3" exhaust
                        Visit my sons blog:
                        www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I need a SW version of the 77 Impala... Need seating for 6 (w/2 of them for car seats)... & a/c ... The wife insists on it...
                          '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                          '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                          79 Trans Am project
                          ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

shoot - is that what I am doing wrong?
                            I was pleasantly surprised with the Cutlass this year. I think we actually fixed the only problem we had with the hot start issue now.
                            I R Bob
                            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                              I was pleasantly surprised with the Cutlass this year. I think we actually fixed the only problem we had with the hot start issue now.
                              Sometimes it takes a Ford to fix a GM problem. So does that make it a Futlass now or a Cutlord?
                              Last edited by pintoboy77; July 18, 2017, 07:13 AM.
                              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Working...
                              X