No announcement yet.

Protect your money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I travel all over the place for work and pleasure. In the past 2-3 years I've been on 2 long hauls, drove the PCH from SoCal to Washington 2x, been to Colorado and Texas multiple times for work, travel to NY for family, been to PA and OH for car shows, and went to FL. I've also had countless trips into NC, TN, and GA for work and pleasure.

I use my Discover Card almost exclusively. It's only been "hit" once since 2004, and it was a test purchase for like $2 and discover caught it and put a hold on my card. I bring about $300 with me on PT for emergencies (I've actually been to backwoods gas stations that either still didn't take cards, or "their machine was down" and they could only take cash.)

I can't believe you've been hit that many times, are you writing your PIN # on the back?
    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Just my usual good luck.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
        . pretty much paid cash. The only real draw back was I would have to go into the gas stations and tell them how much to program the pump for, if it didn't take it all it would only charge for what I got. .
        I used to pay cash for gas, but the way we mob gas stations made for too long a wait in line.
        LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post
          We try to use one CC for everything & never, ever use a debit card as it has a link to our bank account. .
          Not only that, but the oil company can put a "hold" on funds far greater than the purchase amount, like a $75 hold for a $30 purchase and could be a week to clear..
          LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

Update: the crook that stole my money used it in Houston TX! I'm guessing he bought it on line or new someone in another state because I didn't go through Texas. It's also a good thing it was a separate account from my checking because they tried it 3 more times at a vending machine for a $1.50 checking to see if I had put more money in it. That was the whole reason for doing the loadable card so that they didn't have access to anything else, of course just like any other card I'll get the money back but it just burns my BUTT!!
            Last edited by corvettedad; July 2, 2017, 01:09 PM.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I'm not sure how that all works, but the one time my Discover card was hit, they were somewhere in central FL. I'd been to Destin a couple years before, but never central FL, so I don't know where/how they got my info.

It's also kinda creepy how CC companies track your card. My card was tagged in FL at like 5am at a coffee shop for a couple dollar test charge, yet I travel all over the country at odd hours and my card has never been flagged. I think it's because my card can be tracked with fuel or a flight to destinations and the sudden FL pop up caused a flag. I wouldn't be surprised if they have your phone's GPS info as well...
              Last edited by Jesse James 80; July 5, 2017, 05:15 AM.
              1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
              1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
              1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Yes it is creepy when you think about it.
                I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

On the road I use my business debit card and keep what I need in the account for a day or so. I can manually transfer funds from another account if I need to. I'll use my Amazon credit card for anything else. I was hacked a few months ago, possibly by Pay Pal but my credit union took care of it to the tune of $1700.

Comment

always use cash. i only use CC to hold the room.
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I'm in Iowa and I've been hit twice by a dollar general in Georgia. $471 each time, luckily I caught it soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X