Protect your money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protect your money

Over the years I've been hit by credit/debit card thieves, twice on HRPT and two other times so I've struggled with trying to find the least aggravating way to use my money safely especially on HRPT when we're traveling through so many states. This year I got a loadable Regions debit card and transferred money for hotels and gas when needed the rest pretty much paid cash. The only real draw back was I would have to go into the gas stations and tell them how much to program the pump for, if it didn't take it all it would only charge for what I got. Well that little aggravation payed off. I had 70+ dollars left on it on someone either worked or new someone at a McDonald's and they unloaded my card for $71 and change! I'll get it back but it burns my BUTT!!
    Just wanted everyone to know and to plan your strategy that works for you maybe everything in cash, but then you have to watch your back. Saw one guy on Tour pull out a big toll of hundreds to pay for his room! Need to be more careful than that even if you're packing which most are, don't invite trouble. So what's your safe way to pay for stuff vacation or not.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

We were hacked at some point too, just got new cards yesterday. The card company called when they noticed an attempted charge that looked irregular.
    Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Mine happened today! Since the other attacks I check my accounts everyday.

Comment

Luckily I've never had any issues on PT. I just use my CC and hope for the best.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Last year someone hit my CC for 400+ dollars to a Harley dealership in Iowa

Comment

Before we leave for a trip, we leave a list with our bank of where we will be each day. Our bank's suggestion. Some of our friends have an app on their phone that alerts them of each transaction as soon as it happens.
            Last edited by smalblock; June 22, 2017, 06:19 PM.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Yeah you'd think $71 to McDonald's compared to my spending history would be a huge red flag, that's a lot of chicken nuggets! ☺

Comment

My bank is fast to catch fraud on my cards when traveling I have to change up on gas stations or my bank will shut my card off until they talk to me to make sure everything is good. Someone hacked my card once and bought gas in Columbus Oh. They called because I don't usually purchase gas there. I told them it wasn't me so they shut my card off immediately and sent me a new one.
                Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

The banks are very fast on this now. We have never lost a penny on the frauds. One time they canceled my card due to a $9 purchase at a health food store, somehow they knew it wasn't me?!?
                  Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by moparjim71 View Post
                    The banks are very fast on this now. We have never lost a penny on the frauds. One time they canceled my card due to a $9 purchase at a health food store, somehow they knew it wasn't me?!?
                    True, I've caught everyone the day it happened and never lost a dime, they've always reimbursed my account. My old credit union who gave great personal service was bought out and the service went with it so I'm in the process of changing banks. Even the hometown bank I grew up with has changed.

Comment

No issues here...yet. I always double check accounts after any road trip... Did find a double charge at one hotel (La Quinta Inn-Collinsville) turns out there is supposed to be a refund credit that is still in process that will refund the higher charge.(Room rate reduced $25. due to issues at check in)
                      '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                      '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                      79 Trans Am project
                      ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

We try to use one CC for everything & never, ever use a debit card as it has a link to our bank account. This year I forgot to take a 0% - on purchases for 12 months - card so we used the normal cards. One for fuel, one for meals & one for rooms & miscellaneous. We then use those points towards the bills. We also never access a bank account or CC account on line while on the road. Anywhere. If I need cash we go to a Credit Union that is in the same system that ours is.
                        ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                          Last year someone hit my CC for 400+ dollars to a Harley dealership in Iowa
                          I had that happen to me about ten years ago. Someone got my American Express info from a dumpster & bought a couple hundred $ worth of boots from a place in Alabama. I called them & talked to a lady that deals with their security issues. Then I called AE & they cancelled the card. But they just weren't too interested in doing anything about it. I no more than hung up & the lady in Alabama called. She had tracked the shipment to NJ, talked to the police there & they had already picked the guy up. Sad thing was that AE credited my account but the boot store was stuck with trying to get their money from the perp.
                          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Yeah it appears now that banks/CC companies consider it routine business unless maybe it's some huge amount. It sux's and yeah never use anything connected to your bank accounts!

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                              Yeah you'd think $71 to McDonald's compared to my spending history would be a huge red flag, that's a lot of chicken nuggets! ☺
                              I could eat that many McNuggets! I love those things.
                              I R Bob
                              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X