Woodward Dream Cruise 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rexdogg View Post

very fine whiskers (a few), and some very tiny metal "dots" in the oil filter element.....metal to be sure......saw it after an oil change after the Power Tour.......running a howard's hydraulic roller cam....oil pressure is fine and steady.....had an oil analysis done, company said "oil is fine" (?).....using Brad Penn 20w-50 oil with a high zinc content....also using a K&N filter
    I ran Brad Penn ( 20-50) oil for the first time about a month ago. My oil temp ( Autometer 2 5/8" mech gauge) ran about 15-18 degrees hotter than it normally does. I drove the car several days during the week, so air temps fluctuated, water was close to normal. Oil was consistently much hotter than normal.

I lent the car to a friend who also drove it and has seat time in the car. I never mentioned the oil temp issue, but when he brought the car back he noticed the same thing and immediately asked about it.

Switched back to Castrol 20 50 and have put 5-600 miles on it since, and all temps back to normal. I also run Shell Rotella 15-40 in the winter, with great results. I will not run the Brad Penn again.

Comment

As a rookie to this event, is there any recommended "must see" areas to this huge event or preferred places to sit and watch the cruise? I'm picturing a 16 mile traffic jam with folks in lawn chairs 10 deep. Probably arriving Thursday afternoon now and driving at least part of the way back to STL on Saturday evening.
      GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Dave - that is a tough one. If there are only a "few" little wiskers then maybe its not an issue. I would feel better using a no-bypass style filter so 100% of the oil went through the filter. Not sure driving it to Woodward is any different than driving it around town for another 3k to check the oil again when it is time to change it.

cancelled my plans for Woodward....gong to run the motor a little bit this week, and then change the oil again, to see if there's anything in it....if so, will probably pull the motor and have it looked at

Comment

Originally posted by 200kss View Post
          As a rookie to this event, is there any recommended "must see" areas to this huge event or preferred places to sit and watch the cruise? I'm picturing a 16 mile traffic jam with folks in lawn chairs 10 deep. Probably arriving Thursday afternoon now and driving at least part of the way back to STL on Saturday evening.
          That's pretty much exactly what it is on Saturday. Friday is the better day to really drive on Woodward if you want to do that. Duggans is a good place to see a lot but that place is usually packed. You can park on the side streets and sit in the median to watch the cars go by just about anywhere.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

cancelled my plans for Woodward....gong to run the motor a little bit this week, and then change the oil again, to see if there's anything in it....if so, will probably pull the motor and have it looked at
            Sorry to hear that Dave.
            I R Bob
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
              Sorry to hear that Dave.

really wanted to make it, but....really worried about the motor, going to take a look at it......and......not to make a big deal of it, but.....my wedding anniversary is August 18th.....44 years this year....51 years since we met (grade school stuff), so......maybe the engine issues kept me out of the marital doghouse this year, as opposed to prior Woodward years......hah!........hey, wait.....is it possible my wife threw some metal into the motor recently?.....not saying, but just saying......hah!
              Last edited by rexdogg; August 14, 2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

If she's like my wife she doesn't know anything about cars so she would just make me do it. Good luck with the car and the wife!
                Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

really wanted to make it, but....really worried about the motor, going to take a look at it......and......not to make a big deal of it, but.....my wedding anniversary is August 18th.....44 years this year....51 years since we met (grade school stuff), so......maybe the engine issues kept me out of the marital doghouse this year, as opposed to prior Woodward years......hah!........hey, wait.....is it possible my wife threw some metal into the motor recently?.....not saying, but just saying......hah!
                  Nah. You're too nice of a guy to have a wife who would do that. Especially after 44 years. Congrats.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Did you save the shavings?
                    Is your engine builder close?

It is hard to diagnosis this stuff over the internet. It could be something as simple as the springs chaffing a little bit. Wish you the best of luck in your investigation.

Comment

Wow Dave, you're getting up there with my Mom and Dad. They've been married for 53 years this year and together for 59. Probably better you stay home this year. LOL
                      I R Bob

Comment

Congratulations Dave and the Mrs. too, that's a heck of an accomplishment. Bob - I wouldn't think your folks were old enough to be together that long.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

They're both 75 this year. Apparently I've got good genes!
                          I R Bob

Comment

They're both 75 this year. Apparently I've got good genes!

congrats to them....we are in our mid-60's. still driving.....hah!

Comment

... I've got good genes! ...
                              not the daisy dukes

Comment

Hey I kinda like his Daisy Dukes
                                Donna
                                Williamston, MI
                                Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X