No announcement yet.

Rules 2012-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topeka had showers and so do truck stops!
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

They should let people bring camper trailers, but I will keep going to hotels, I am not a happy camper.

Comment

Policing Camping Trailers -- proposed rules

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
        Allowing campers would be way cool ... and it would have me re-thinking future strategies. The only problem I see, the way the rules are now, is policing them. But then again I've always been of the mind set "run what ya brung" and "its only cheating if you get caught" .....
        The rule would need to be carefully drafted to avoid stuff like:

-- 20-foot cargo trailer packed with parts but claimed to be a "camper" because of a sleeping bag & the "bucket pot" pictured above.

-- mobile garage, Snap-On tool store, and machine shop in a gutted "camping trailer"

--camper used as obvious logistical support for another competitor.

So the way I'd suggest the rule is to keep the cargo trailer rule as is, but allow for small, single axle trailers (caravans, for our international readers . . . somewhere around 17' to 22' maximum length -- which is about the maximum size trailer most compact and intermediate cars could safely tow back in the '60s) that contain permanent sleeping, cooking and (optional) "sanitary" facilities, so long as:

(a) all parts, tires and tools contained in the camping trailer are stored during travel in a marked area in the front of the trailer that is no larger than the cargo trailers that are already legal (anybody who's done much RV camping knows that you'd want that weight between the tongue and the wheels anyhow), and

(b) The registered driver actually "camps" in the camp trailer during DW. (an entrant sleeping in in a motel every night isn't camping)

I'd specifically ban "toy haulers" and any trailer with "cargo-style" doors that is larger than the current legal cargo trailers. Sure, it would be a hassle loading and unloading through a narrow RV-style side door, but it would help limit potential abuses. It there was a problem, there could be a maximum weight specification and a promoter's veto rule (i.e your trailer's parked on Day One if DF says it violates the spirit of the camper rule)

Of course if we were as crazy as the UK folks, we'd be figuring out some way to RACE our "caravans" . . . .
        Last edited by 38P; October 7, 2011, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I'm thinkin'

A gasser towing a vintage Airstream Bambi or a "canned ham" Serro Scotty on DW would be ironic and iconic.

Comment

Inspiration

Okay, the Isetta's kinda wack but imagine it as a comp coupe with a blown hemi blocking the fridge door . . . .
            Attached Files

Comment

I'll make it easier .... the only thing allowed in or on the camping trailer that is related to the car is street/race wheels and tires .... no fuel/tools/spare parts etc allowed in or on the trailer. I like the requirement on actually using it for camping too.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I'll make it easier .... the only thing allowed in or on the camping trailer that is related to the car is street/race wheels and tires .... no fuel/tools/spare parts etc allowed in or on the trailer. I like the requirement on actually using it for camping too.
                Aw come on! Don't you want to sleep next to a big Craftsman tool box . . . or fry up burgers on an open-flame propane stove beside a plastic jug of Rocket-Brand leaded race gas . . . .

No tools or parts in the camping trailer would put campers at a big disadvantage to racers with utility trailers (nobody mention trailerless Larry Larson, okay?)

Campers WOULD have to use some common sense about sharing their tiny living spaces with spares, inflamable chemicals, and tools. But there ought to be a reasonable allowance for some support stuff in the camping trailer.

Comment

Is this the camping thread or opinions and input on the rules for the next three years thread. The rules don't directly effect the DD class. If there is any body out there that that new rules have effected such as myself and wish to have any input as to what Hot Rod finalizes you need to voice your opinions or we will all be bringing daily drivers

Comment

this would open up ..
                    so say 4 buddys that are on the d/w every year form a team one drags the camper the other one a small machine shop the other tools and the forth the extra parts.. no different from one guys group loading a camper as a snap on store/machine shop..
                    easy way is to allow campers and , if caught use'n them as anything out than camping, you're out
                    Last edited by Stich496; October 7, 2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Enough on campers, maybe make the over length 14" or something and be done with it. Everything else is too picky and difficult to enforce.

I think there should be a home built equivilent rule. My "Cal-tracs" are composed of some Cal-Trac parts; the front plates and hardware, bars I fabricated, and left over Slide-a-link spring mounts I reworked. My upper control arms are stockers I reworked for road course handling, part of the farm implement alignment Jeff likes so much. I've built or rewroked most of the chassis on the car as tehi isn't much out there for 71's. But, there is no reason they can't have shiny paint and Ride-Tech or Detroit Speed stickers on them right? Despite the questionable results I take pride in my hacked together home built junk.

On the other hand, I suppose I have just dis-qualified myself from BB/NA.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

maybe, but every racers done that ran decals of vendor parts that are not used..

Comment

What?

Originally posted by Neverlift View Post
                          Is this the camping thread or opinions and input on the rules for the next three years thread. The rules don't directly effect the DD class. If there is any body out there that that new rules have effected such as myself and wish to have any input as to what Hot Rod finalizes you need to voice your opinions or we will all be bringing daily drivers
                          Huh? I thought that discussing liberalization of the trailer rule was "input on the rules for the next three years."

I also don't see how the proposed new rules are going to result in " all be bringing daily drivers." The new rules seem allow for increased oportunities. For example, the Limited class allows for radical small-tire cars a place to run without being nuked by Larson and company in Unlimited. And the Street Race class should be attractive to those with true "bolt-on" cars that really are too quick for DD.

I do have a few carps about the Street Race rules, though.

1. "Small-Block classes are 430ci and below. Big-Block classes are 431ci and above, including Mopar Hemis, big-block Chevys, big-block Fords, or FE Fords of any displacement."

This is really a rule AGAINST Gen 1 Hemis, FE Fords and most anything less than 350 cid.

Adding "Mid-block" classes for engines between 340 to 430 CID would be better. It's hard enough to run a Desoto Hemi or a 352 FE without being forced to run against 572s. And why should 312 Y-Blocks, V6s, and even four-cylinders be forced to run against $20,000+ aftermarket 427 "SBCs" and LSxs? Mid-block classes would give vintage racers who want to run early hemis, BOPs, FEs and even 396 BBCs a fair place to race. And it would allow true small-cube engines a place to fight it out amongst themselves.

2. "Bolt-in or weld-in parallel four-links, ladder bars, non-stock watts links, non-stock wishbones, and non-stock track locators are prohibited.

Comment

I think the intent is not to eliminate those who choose to build their own cal-tracs, for example, but to weed out those that insist on bringing something that was obviously built to take advantage of the 'gray area' of the rules. It makes things easier for the DW crew to enforce. The blue chevy powered Mustang with the weird 4 coil rear suspension comes to mind. They got bumped to a different class (which they won) and were all bent out of shape about it at tech in.
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

"
                              "•Panhard bars may only be used on cars factory equipped with panhard bars and must be located in the stock brackets.
                              •The rear suspension must retain the stock concept: OE leaf-spring cars must use leaf springs, OE triangulated four-link cars must use triangulated four-links, OE torque-arm cars must use torque arms, and so on.
                              •Cars factory equipped with coil springs may use coilover conversions.
                              •Relocated shock and coilover mounting points are allowed and the mounts may be custom fabricated."

The rule should be "bolt-ons (whether aftermarket or homemade) are allowed."

It makes no sense that 8.50 cars are forced to run triangulated four-links (even though its often done in various heads-up classes). That cost-cutter suspension design came from the same penny-pinching minds as the infamous Corvair swing arm IRS. And Ford was dumb enough to copy it!

Fox Mustangs are more pleasant (less tail-happy) on the street with a bolt-on panhard bar. And it makes no sense to allow FABRICATED (weld-on) anti-roll bars but not allow bolt-on links. The coil-over rule is too biased to factory coil-spring cars. A simple "bolt-ons are legal" rule would remedy this inconsistency.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stich496;565772]this would open up ..
                                so say 4 buddys that are on the d/w every year form a team one drags the camper the other one a small machine shop the other tools and the forth the extra parts.. no different from one guys group loading a camper as a snap on store/machine shop..
                                [/QUOTE

That would violate the current "support" rules. It also wouldn't work if the amount of space for parts and tools were limited and the driver had to camp in the trailer, as I previously suggested.

Making the competitors chose between spares and camping obviously disadvantages campers. At least now they could pack a teardrop with spares and unload it at beddy-bye time. If the camping trailer has to be totally devoid of spares, allow car top carriers.

CDMBill . . . sorry for the digression into "Trailer Life." BTW, a 14-foot limit would exclude most single-axle camping trailers with "sanitary" facilities (except pop-ups . . . which are too much like tents for me) A single axle limit is easily enforced.

Comment

Working...
                                X