Rules 2012-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be uninformed carping, but:

1. There's still not really a good place for small-cube engines at DW other than daily driver because of the "7-liter small block" rules.

2. Considering that Ohio George Montgomery ran turbochargers in Gassers over 40 years ago, the engine rules for Match Bash seem a little too restrictive. Based on the low car count in 2011, some liberalization of the rules may be in order. Bitchin neo-traditional cars like the "MoKan Missile" (seen frequently at the H.A.M.B. Drags) fit the spirit and outward appearance of Match Bash but are techincally illegal because they're not "pure" under the hood (last time I saw it, it had a blow-through carb single turbo small block Mopar under the hood).

3. A clone of the "Two-Lane Blacktop" '55 should be legal in the BB/NA Modified class (i.e. tilt front end, bolt-on fiberglass, ladder bars). But under the current rules, it would be too mild for "Match Bash" (no altered wheelbase) and too wild for Modified (unless I'm misreading the rules).

4. Camping trailers . . . for camping . . . .should be allowed if they're not packed with more parts than will fit in a legal cargo trailer. The current trailer rule doesn't really allow for anyone to tow a camping trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
      4. Camping trailers . . . for camping . . . .should be allowed if they're not packed with more parts than will fit in a legal cargo trailer. The current trailer rule doesn't really allow for anyone to tow a camping trailer.
      LOL! Freiburger and I were talking about this in Tulsa while it was raining, he insisted I bring my $250 POS Bonneville trailer next year! I told him it exceeded the trailer dimensions and he said he'd figure out a way to get an exemption, lol! Camp trailers were actually something we seriously talked about since two or three people did camp at the stops.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

haven't you guys heard of a teardrop?

"Match Bash" should be changed to "Gasser" and limited to pre-muscle cars (pre 64). People like the gassers.

Also they should see if they can get someone to run staging a little better, ie. line up the cars by category, such as gasser vs gasser, DD vs DD, Street Race vs Street Race, and Go Fast (mod, unlimited, etc) against each other. Not strict, but make enough of an effort that it makes it a little easier for the fans to figure out what's going on, as well as having more "interesting" pairings, since there were quite a few fans watching this year. If they call different staging lanes for like 4 different categories, they could do it pretty easily.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          Also they should see if they can get someone to run staging a little better, ie. line up the cars by category, such as gasser vs gasser, DD vs DD, Street Race vs Street Race, and Go Fast (mod, unlimited, etc) against each other. Not strict, but make enough of an effort that it makes it a little easier for the fans to figure out what's going on, as well as having more "interesting" pairings, since there were quite a few fans watching this year. If they call different staging lanes for like 4 different categories, they could do it pretty easily.
          i would like this too... run like car with simular times seams more fun to me...
          2011- street race BBPA winner
          80 malibu BBC F3 procharger

Comment

Originally posted by jackstand View Post
            i would like this too... run like car with simular times seams more fun to me...
            Also a bit safer, some of the slower DD cars did not require them to wear helmets. Go against someone faster and that has an issue, could result in bad things..
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              LOL! Freiburger and I were talking about this in Tulsa while it was raining, he insisted I bring my $250 POS Bonneville trailer next year! I told him it exceeded the trailer dimensions and he said he'd figure out a way to get an exemption, lol! Camp trailers were actually something we seriously talked about since two or three people did camp at the stops.
              Camping on DW would be so cool! "Tin Can Racers!" (They used to call camper dwellers "Tin Can Tourists" during the Great Depression)

Comment

haven't you guys heard of a teardrop?

"Match Bash" should be changed to "Gasser" and limited to pre-muscle cars (pre 64). People like the gassers.

I've even got the book on Teardrops . . . but once you've stayed in a "canned ham," "silver palace," or a "glass house," folding yourself into a teardrop is much less appealing.

I like the "gasser" idea because it tracks better with what "outlaw gasser" racers are doing at vintage events around the country. But the cutoff should be the ante-Pro Stock era (roughly 1969-70), not 1964. That fits in more with gasser history. To protect the class from ordinary muscle cars, pre-approval based on appearance and a minimum front ride height specification for 1964-? would work. And there should probably be special recognition for the quickest altered wheelbase car and pre-1948.

DUMB QUESTION: Time trialing cars against each other in class is a great idea. But why not just have a staging lane for each class and then pull two cars out of the same staging lane at a time? (I've no doubt that the people who've actually run a drag strip will explain why that's a bad idea)

Comment

Allowing campers would be way cool ... and it would have me re-thinking future strategies. The only problem I see, the way the rules are now, is policing them. But then again I've always been of the mind set "run what ya brung" and "its only cheating if you get caught" .....
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                    DUMB QUESTION: Time trialing cars against each other in class is a great idea. But why not just have a staging lane for each class and then pull two cars out of the same staging lane at a time? (I've no doubt that the people who've actually run a drag strip will explain why that's a bad idea)
                    Having a lane for each class won't work because there are too many classes, so I suggested having something like four different categories of cars, and call them to the staging lanes as such. There are usually only about 8-10 staging lanes.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Camping would certainly be a way to keep the costs down - Randal - I'm liking this Idea a bunch! I wonder how putting a cap on my ranger would go - it would improve aero, but hurt weight - but - with an air mattress - I'd have a place to sleep....

Does your POS camper have AC or a way to add it? ;-)
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

there was a pretty quick mid 60s elcamino running a camper shell....

I'm more concerned about Randal's pos not having a bathroom
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

there was a pretty quick mid 60s elcamino running a camper shell....

I'm more concerned about Randal's pos not having a bathroom
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	buckettoilet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	857938
                          Last edited by nesabo; October 7, 2011, 07:12 AM.
                          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

The world is our (men) urinal Jim ....
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Behold. The Drag Week camp trailer.

Last edited by BBR; October 7, 2011, 07:33 AM.
                              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

the lack of a shower is what I was thinking about....there are portapots at the strips
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X