Already planning for next year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Already planning for next year.

I was gutted I was unable to make it. I could have just went but I wanted to make the Top 32 so bad there was no way low 13's which is what the car was running at before I damaged the engine.

Nevertheless I got 12 months and 2 weeks to get ready which I likely will be since I run the car on a regular basis. Just there's a long dead period in the summer time as the series I run don't come back here until now.

I hope there's another stick shift challenge too, I'll be ready.

In 2013, I started planning for 2014 on the trip home. Most of that plan turned into my current car Plan II. It worked...sort of...it ran what I hoped it would run, but of course that wasn't enough to win Fortunately a rule change the following year put me in the winner's circle.

I spent lots of money and way more time building the car. I bought the shell in November, and had the bodywork done by March. then started assembling the car, and had it running in May, and racing in June, and pretty much done, ready for competition, in August. It's a long, difficult process to plan and build a car for Drag Week.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

As an alternate, Rocky Mountain Race Week has a variety of "index" classes (13.00-13.99, 12.00-12.99, etc) and is supposed to have a stick shift class next year. Great Bend, Topeka, Tulsa, Noble, OK are the proposed tracks.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

we are also looking to 2018 DW..i have an old 67 gmc shop truck? hmmm.

Comment

Got back from DW17 Saturday night. Contemplated plans the whole way home. Sunday the engine came out. Of course, plans are changing and the schedule is already falling apart. Go figure...

Comment

Big plans and alot of changes for the 41 coming up. We will get a start on it as soon as the local tracks close for the season.
            HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
            DW- 12,16,17
            "Stay thirsty my friends"
            The worlds most interesting man

Comment

I want to show up to DW 18 with a 10.50 car for SME if at all possible, car has been 10.83 to date. Tunnel Ram, fresh air hood(because tunnel ram), transmission change, and weight reduction will hopefully get me there, or put me in the 11.30s LOL.
              Last edited by BlueCuda340; September 29, 2017, 04:27 AM.
              1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
              1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

one interesting thing about Drag Week....if you think you will need a 10.50 car next year, you'll really need a 10.30 car

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  one interesting thing about Drag Week....if you think you will need a 10.50 car next year, you'll really need a 10.30 car

Thats the truth.........
                  Last edited by RAIV70Judge; September 29, 2017, 08:53 AM.
                  HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                  DW- 12,16,17
                  "Stay thirsty my friends"
                  The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Yes, that is no Joke. I took it easy in 2016 on day one to try and keep a tenth in the bag for the quick 32 race. After Day one I was #33 or something so we had to kick it back up and still ended up #28 or somewhere around there. I wasn't able to cover my dial and made it three rounds off of prayer and decent lights haha.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                      I want to show up to DW 18 with a 10.50 car for SME if at all possible, car has been 10.83 to date. Tunnel Ram, fresh air hood(because tunnel ram), transmission change, and weight reduction will hopefully get me there, or put me in the 11.30s LOL.
                      Curious. How much does car weigh now? We’’re at 3200 with full tank (needed to get it 48/52 balance)
                      Last edited by Deucemopar; January 11, 2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deucemopar View Post

Curious. How much does car weigh now? We’’re at 3200 with full tank (needed to get it 48/52 balance)
                        She is a little chubby, 3600lbs with 240 of it being me. Ideally I want to go from 727 to 904, lose the stock seats, and the tunnel ram change will force a hood change from the stock one. I am changing from an 8.75 to a Dana which goes a little backwards on weight but hopefully the change to rear discs will offset some of that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post

She is a little chubby, 3600lbs with 240 of it being me. Ideally I want to go from 727 to 904, lose the stock seats, and the tunnel ram change will force a hood change from the stock one. I am changing from an 8.75 to a Dana which goes a little backwards on weight but hopefully the change to rear discs will offset some of that.
                          Ah. We’re at 3430 with 230 me ... the Dana is good idea. We’re looking at fiberglass hood and maybe fenders. Not much left on bone without major crap after that. With what you spoke of, fiberglass hood, etc you should shed close 200 lb I would think. ?

Comment

Another stock engine is in the car, but everything around it has changed. Much larger turbocharger, still street/daily drivable but otherwise more than doubles the output. Which if you are keeping score is 220 at the wheels on the stock turbo, the new turbo easily flows twice that plus 100 hp more.

Just to add to the weight debate car with 1/4 tank of gas and no spare is 3200 lbs about 3375 lbs with me in it.

Current plans are to run the car either in 10 days at Fontana or wait until the end of Feb and run at Famoso. Fontana is a reschedule from the end of last year. Famoso last year this time was low 60's much of the day which was great for power not so much for traction.

Also the clutch needs to be upgraded to handle the increase torque/power but should handle the roughly 400 whp the stock fuel system shuts down the party. I hope it holds on slicks,we'll see a guess.

Rocky Mountain Drag Week is an option but they really don't have a class I fit in. True Street sort of seems to fit but that would require either running my street tires or buying some drag radials.

The other choice is the proposed stick shift class or limited street which allow slicks.

For Hot Rod Drag Week -

1) Port injection and big in-tank pump to run E85
                            2) 3 mm increase in stroke with either h beam (600 ish) or I beam rods (600+)
                            3) Suspension modifications (currently stock)

Plan -

550-600 boost only
                            650-700 with 50 shot

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              You think so? After Day One the average was I think 10.30's but by the end it had fallen to 10.80's by the last day. That's why Burk didn't make it back to defend his title he was only running 11.0's.

Comment

Working...
                              X