A Belated Farewell to Bob Farber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Belated Farewell to Bob Farber

My first trip to Dragweek was 2009. I drug my neighbor and now great friend Al cross county for an adventure we'd never forget. By midweek, the DW obsession was already deeply cemented in my psyche to the point of planning my return before we were even finished. When Al and I reached the hotel, we walked over to a little pizza joint across the parking lot to grab some grub and a beer after a long day of driving.

The decor was rustic with red-white checkered table cloths and wood paneled walls displaying lots of hanging do-dads. As I sat down, I noticed two guys at a table against the wooden wall and one was wearing a faded Dragweek shirt. After ordering beers, I walked over, introduced myself, and asked if we might talk to them a little about the event since we were new. They promptly invited us to sit with them and over the next couple hours we enjoyed some beers and received a great intro to DW. So began a friendship that has lasted years.

The two gentleman we met are Steve Fagan and Bob Farber. These guys took us under their wings and taught us the ropes of surviving our first Dragweek experience. With both of them being engineers, not only was Steve's Blazer/ truck a trick lesson in engine packaging but they also had quite the system of supply/ tool choices, packing, and even fuel swaps. They invited us to hang out with them throughout the week and we gladly accepted. Unfortuately for them, my car had 4.86 gears out back and this was before I bought my GearVendors so I was only doing 51 mph at 3300 rpm. They held back for us throughout the week even though the Blazer has overdrive. The Blazer does have the benefit of AC so it wasn't all bad but I always appreciated the gesture.

I missed 2010 but when I went back in 2011/ 2012/ 2013, seeing them was always a highlight. They really took to my Uncle Joe when he came to DW with me. Bob and Joe would sit and talk for hours at the track and the hotels. We kept in touch between events with emails or phone calls which consisted of life and car updates.

After 2013 I had to take a break because of moving into a new house and other life events ($$$). I still kept in touch but the conversations were further apart. Bob had since retired from DW but Steve took his brother along one of the years I missed. As I started looking at potentially trying Rocky Mountain Race Week or DragWeek 2017 late last year, I stepped up my efforts to reach Steve again but never heard back. At this point I still have not heard back.

I also tried reaching out to Bob and in the process found some sad news. Our DW friend is gone and I didn't even know it. It seems Bob passed in April 2016 and I totally missed it. This saddens me because he was such a sweetheart of a guy. He and Steve are a big part of why I keep going back to DW when I can. Friendships made during any stressful situation can be strong and last so naturally Dragweek is no exception.

As with other friends I've lost, I wish I had not let daily life be an excuse to not keep in closer contact.

I met so many great people at past DW's. I guess I figured I'd always be able to see them the next time I could attend. The old 'manana, manana' mindset. Bill Fowler was kind enough to take my broke ass to the two DragWeekend West events and Dragweek 2016 as copilot in his XPURSUIT. I probably didn't do a great job at it but I appreciate it so much. It allowed me to still be involved and put me in contact with so many friends again.

Things are looking better financially now so although I couldn't get my car ready for RMRW, I am going for a couple days to check it out for next year and visit. I am also going back to DW this year with my car. More than anything though it's to see my friends, many of whom I only see at this event. You are what I call my 'low maintenance' friends. We may not see each other for a year or more but we simply pick up where we left off. No attitude or whining about why didn't you call me blah blah blah. Just right back into bench racing and beer drinking.(and if we're lucky some bacon) I look forward to seeing all of you similarly afflicted goof balls in a few months.

To Steve, I hope you're doing well bud.

Finally to Bob, I send a belated heart felt message of God Speed and may you rest in peace my friend. Thanks for some great memories.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob Farber.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1165450
    Last edited by Dignlif; July 3, 2017, 12:16 PM.
    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Rich, after reading your post I just wanted to say hi, I'm on this site pretty much every night. I never post anything but enjoy keeping up with things going on. I always enjoyed reading your detailed DW stories, like you mentioned life happens and we lose contact with all the great people that events like DW tend to bring together.

Hope your well, Jason
    2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
    2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
    all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

Hey there Jason, good to hear from you. I think part of the reason I wrote this up is so his memory lives on as he was an important part of the event, at least for me, Al, uncle Joe, and I'm sure Steve among others. If it brings back memories for others all the better.

Yes it's been a long time but I'm doing well and I wish you the same Jason. I think I still owe you a beer or two so one of these days I hope we meet up again so I can return the favor.
      Last edited by Dignlif; July 4, 2017, 12:00 PM.
      Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Working...
      X