Tech question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech question....

With having to tech almost 400 cars in a single day, how strict are they? Are they looking at every single point going down the NHRA rule list?

For instance, how strict are they on the fuel system location, as in, not being on the firewall? stuff like that? How about the bellhousing? I'm looking to run a TR6060 tranny that has an integrated bellhousing...cant get a SFI cert bellhousing on it? How about the SFI flywheel balancer?

Are they really anal about it? Planning to run the street eliminator class...

Thanks upfront.

It depends. The safety inspection is done by the local NHRA folks. They pick some apart, others they go over pretty quickly.

If you want to race, then make your car legal. Then you won't be disappointed.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      It depends. The safety inspection is done by the local NHRA folks. They pick some apart, others they go over pretty quickly.

If you want to race, then make your car legal. Then you won't be disappointed.

Best advice.

Comment

They are strict, they won't check your sfi bell and such because they don't go under your car, you will get asked tho. Also depending on what class, they check your rear tire with a go-no go gauge. But pretty much have everything in order. If you have a cage, make sure it's NHRA certified, they did have someone on site doing the certs last year. Make sure your competition license is current too. Even the street car stuff, horn, lights, turn signals, insurance info, stuff like that.

Comment

fuel system on the firewall is a bad idea no matter how you look at it. sfi approved flywheel and balancer are all good insurance you don't have a real bad day too. the safety stuff is there for a reason. i'm gonna resound the notion of making the car legal, regardless of what street outlaws may say is "cool" or not ;)
          http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps24d553b8.jpg
          Join The Militia

Comment

When you guys refer to fuel system on the firewall are you talking about having a regulator mounted to the firewall ?

Comment

Check your harness belts too. Not saying they'll check them, but it would suck to have expired belts if they did.

A lot of the tech stuff happens in the registration lanes while everyone is waiting. They just walk through and check cars, so a lot of it is already done by the time you get to the front.
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

They checked all of my dates on the safety equipment and gave the car a once over similar to a test and tune at my local track.

Comment

there are two different sets of tech requirements you have to meet:

1. Drag Week Class tech. This is where the Hot Rod magazine guys check to make sure the car fits the class you are registered for. Tire go/no go gauge, which suspension modifications you have, etc. They also check for street equipment, such as lights, turn signals, horn, etc.

2. NHRA Tech Inspection. This is where the track tech folks check to see that your car meets the safety equipment requirements for the ET you will run. Cage, harness, SFI approved stuff, driver suit, helmet, etc.
                  Last edited by squirrel; May 24, 2017, 08:20 PM.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Ran my sons 2016 Mustang and was tech to a 9.99 ET. All stock Roush supercharged dealer option only 1300 miles at start of DW
                    Last edited by quick 52; May 28, 2017, 06:38 AM.
                    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys...other than the "be 100% legal....". I mean, captain obvious much?

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                      Ran my sons 2016 Mustang and was tech to a 9.99 ET. All stock Roush supercharged dealer option only 1300 miles at start
                      Technically, with the MT82 it shouldnt have been teched to 9.99....it has a non removable bellhousing, just like the TR6060. Its not SFI certified....

This is exactly the gray area that i'm talking about....No one here is talking about running expired safety equipment or blatant rule ignoring...

Comment

that's the thing, isn't? You expect us to be able to predict with 100% accuracy which rules they'll let you slide on.

If you want to race, be 100% legal. If you want to try your luck, have fun! don't be surprised if things don't go well.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Last year I was in the tech line for 8 hours and 20 minutes. It was after 8pm when the NHRA tech portion happened. By that point, they literally checked my LIC, my chassis cert, my helmet, jacket, pants, and belts. He quickly looked under the hood, in the trunk and sent me to the next station.

So, i guess if you had something questionable, you might want to wait till the last minute to get in the tech line in hopes of getting to the tech guy once he is at the total point of exhaustion, but that means you'llbe in tech for 8 hours.
                          http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...IMG_3754-1.jpg

Comment

I have seen track tech a more than one track also . Usually just a walk though but if they see something they don't like its there track . Hot Rod is only looking for the street stuff ( lights , turn sig , horn , Reg , Insurance and paper work )

Comment

Must have been right behind you, at 9 hours to the minute did not open the hood, trunk, only checked dates on belts asked a few questions and sent us on to the next station Car would have passed tech anywhere regardless.

Comment

Working...
                              X