Ultimate Iron or Street Machine Eliminator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Iron or Street Machine Eliminator

I'm not sure which one to do. I want to take my tube chassis 69 Mustang but I'm not a power adder person. The car runs deep 9's and may run into the 8.9s. If Ultimate Iron had a nat. asp. category my decision would be made to go there. I have another engine that I'm putting together for another car that if was put in the Mustang it would easily go upper 9's with a solid flat tappet cam. I could be deadly for the bracket race at the end of the event.
    The car is really a Pro-Street deal but the rules for the front frame rails and the floor in steel take that away? Why make the Pro-Street category so tight?
    The Mustang has a Mustang II front suspension. Both engines are north of 550 cubes.
    Any words of recommendation will do here.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Dave D; December 15, 2015, 10:53 AM.
    Dave
    69 Mustang ProStreet
    70 Torino

Originally posted by Dave D View Post
    I'm not sure which one to do. I want to take my tube chassis 69 Mustang but I'm not a power adder person. The car runs deep 9's and may run into the 8.9s. If Ultimate Iron had a nat. asp. category my decision would be made to go there. I have another engine that I'm putting together for another car that if was put in the Mustang it would easily go upper 9's with a solid flat tappet cam. I could be deadly for the bracket race at the end of the event.
    The car is really a Pro-Street deal but the rules for the front frame rails and the floor in steel take that away? Why make the Pro-Street category so tight?
    The Mustang has a Mustang II front suspension. Both engines are north of 550 cubes.
    Any words of recommendation will do here.
    Thanks
    YEH leave it in the Garage!!!! LIKE THE BIG V DID WITH HIS FORD

Comment

Ultimate iron only had 2 cars, I think. Of course they where 6.9's and 7.1's. But all one class PA and NA. Swapping a engine just for a class seems like a lot to me.
      And do something about those others on your side of the state, I don't think they play well together!!!
      First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
      Second place SSBBNA 2016
      Third place SSBBNA 2017
      Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
      All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGTO View Post
        Ultimate iron only had 2 cars, I think. Of course they where 6.9's and 7.1's. But all one class PA and NA. Swapping a engine just for a class seems like a lot to me.
        And do something about those others on your side of the state, I don't think they play well together!!!
        Now really Vince your siding with those guys YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY PUT ME THRU . Have a great holiday season

Comment

Originally posted by R Munch View Post

Now really Vince your siding with those guys YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY PUT ME THRU . Have a great holiday season
          Me no side with no one, me try make humor! I can about imagine what they did, or not. Best of Holidays to all you.
          First place SSBBNA 2014 and 2015
          Second place SSBBNA 2016
          Third place SSBBNA 2017
          Quickest ET in DD and Quickest Pontiac 2008, 2016 and 2017
          All 13 years of Drag Week in a Black 1969 Pontiac with Pontiac Power

Comment

I'd guess Ultimate Iron will be a light class again this year and bottom nines likely keeps you on the podium, Assuming a solid finish. Things do happen at DW though. You could see if HR will allow your car into Pro Street N/A, send the pictures to Turk and [email protected] and get a ruling. Without stirring stuff up there have been some other cars allowed into the class that didn't meet the letter of the rules.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by R Munch View Post

Rod after all we have done for you... You sound Gun shy that others may take advantage... Try to seek help for your condition... Merry Xmas
              Last edited by quick 52; December 15, 2015, 01:41 PM.
              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                I'd guess Ultimate Iron will be a light class again this year and bottom nines likely keeps you on the podium, Assuming a solid finish. Things do happen at DW though. You could see if HR will allow your car into Pro Street N/A, send the pictures to Turk and [email protected] and get a ruling. Without stirring stuff up there have been some other cars allowed into the class that didn't meet the letter of the rules.
                Bill,
                I will comtact them and see if they allow my ride into Pro Street. Do you know the times for big block nat asp?
                thanks,
                Dave
                69 Mustang ProStreet
                70 Torino

Comment

Bill,
                  I will comtact them and see if they allow my ride into Pro Street. Do you know the times for big block nat asp?
                  thanks,
                  Dave I think Pro Street NA is mid 8's... Eddie Miller ran some 8.50's.. last year was around 8.70's

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post

Dave I think Pro Street NA is mid 8's... Eddie Miller ran some 8.50's.. last year was around 8.70's
                    I justfound the stats from last year they are in the low 9s on average.
                    Dave
                    69 Mustang ProStreet
                    70 Torino

Comment

Dave don't forget the faster guys do break a lot ... Eddie Miller won 2013 with a 8.68 @ 155.97. In 2015 Doc Mcentire ran a pass of 8.20's but broke

Comment

Ive got to get approval from them on ProStreet. If it can run I will pull the engine to step it up. This means coated and ported pistons and a cam to step it up to 7,000 rpm.
                        This should put it into an 8.70 or better with new soft parts should make it reliable.Still I will run without a chute but not sure if I can run over 150 mph. Most tracks are soft on that.
                        If they say no I'm out.
                        Dave
                        69 Mustang ProStreet
                        70 Torino

Comment

Ive got to get approval from them on ProStreet. If it can run I will pull the engine to step it up. This means coated and ported pistons and a cam to step it up to 7,000 rpm.
                          This should put it into an 8.70 or better with new soft parts should make it reliable.Still I will run without a chute but not sure if I can run over 150 mph. Most tracks are soft on that.
                          If they say no I'm out.
                          Why no chute.. You can use the bracket as a trailer hitch also mite want to think about a trailer for gear.... If they say NO just setup class and run in unlimited... Don't look at it like you would be to slow for unlimited or to fast for SE...
                          Fit the car in what class you can an d go never know what will happen mite just take a win and make HR Mag.

Comment

Probably depends on what you want to do. What's important to you? going as fast as you can? winning a class? hanging out and having fun? Spending time working on the car before DW? What are your limitations as far as time and money, to make changes to the car?

There's no way any of us can answer these questions for you.
                            Last edited by squirrel; December 17, 2015, 09:37 AM.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              Probably depends on what you want to do. What's important to you? going as fast as you can? winning a class? hanging out and having fun? Spending time working on the car before DW? What are your limitations as far as time and money, to make changes to the car?

There's no way any of us can answer these questions for you.
                              Want to compete, dont want to go power adder, and dont want to slow the car down. This leaves me with ProStreet NA or nothing. Money is not a problem. I want to stay in the low 150s at the stripe. I am close for this setup now but would rather freshen the engine up to make it highly reliable to finish.
                              Last edited by Dave D; December 17, 2015, 06:04 PM.
                              Dave
                              69 Mustang ProStreet
                              70 Torino

Comment

Working...
                              X