No announcement yet.

Long slow MS3X build starting soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the land of constant refinement Actually, it took about a year, but I've settled into after I get it running, I datalog and drive it a bunch for about a week, then just leave it alone unless some kind of driveability is annoying me and just asking for correction.

I did end up programming some idiot lights on both the Skylark and Firebird though. Real simple to use OE lights because the signal is a ground to light them up. On my Firebird, the GEN light will come on under 12.2v or over 15.0 volts, the TEMP light comes up under 120ºF and again if temps go over 205ºF, then the OIL light comes on for my shift light, since I don't have the oil pressure wired in. Because the Skylark is a manual, I have two LED's for shifting, one set a few hundred RPM under my shift point (to get me ready) and one at the shift point. The shift point one also plays double duty to come on if coolant temp goes over 205ºF.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I am just glad the constant refinement doesn't require gas all over the place and a bunch of tiny drill bits. Thats the carb life lol
      1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
      1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• I made it to the track Friday, it went well. Started out decent and got better. The MPH is still down some but after comparing my logs with the carb setup I have the target set pretty rich. I am going to lean it out and try it again this friday I hope.

Comment

• My tuning was during Drag Week, and I started the week at 11.0 AFR's and running 13.2's and ended the week running right at 13.0's running 12.5's.

Comment

• I set my target at 12.5 and it was there through the traps. I went back to my logs from my best ET with a carb and it went through the traps at 13.0.

The air was similar to the first two days of drag week 15 and my ET was .02 faster but it was 1.5 mph slower, that give me hope its got some more in it. Plus I am drowing the thing in accel enrichment it looks like, I have been taking some of that out every pass.

Comment

• A little update and probably the last entry needed in this 2.5 year old thread. I got the new 416 installed and fired up this weekend. I was a little worried about firing it up with no 02 sensor because it needed to go the muffler shop due to a header change. I was just overthinking things, it started and ran on the 360's tune just fine. I just made the needed changes for the larger CID and the 4-7 firing order swap(switch two coil and injector wires) and it lit right off.

My biggest problem with the EFI is I tend to over think stuff and make it harder than it really is. Its actually incredibly easy, I have been more than pleased with it and I saved a boatload of cash by going with the Megasquirt stuff from DIYAutotune.com as opposed to Holley etc.

Video

Comment

• Sounds good!

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
                My biggest problem with the EFI is I tend to over think stuff and make it harder than it really is. Its actually incredibly easy,
                I think that is pretty common when people look at EFI.

Comment

• It has been a few more years so I thought I would update. All is well, no trouble from the Megasquirt. I had an old Tunnel Ram Converted to EFI and have added that to the car, it has ran a best of 10.71@124 now. Still haven't thought about a carb. Signed up for Drag Week #6 with this car and #2 for the EFI and engine combo. Making some changes and would like it to run 10.7s or so in the heat we will see.

Comment

Working...
                  X