Chevy RV cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy RV cam

Just a basic question about a low RPM, high torque cam. I could call a cam company and get a recommendation, but I'd rather get some real world advice.

I have a '72 Chevy 350 that I will be putting into a '70 GMC 2wd long box. The engine is stock and has a rebuilt Quadrajet on the original cast intake, an HEI dist, and will have long tube headers with a good, but quiet exhaust system. I'm using a TH350, but may switch to a 700R down the road. I'm not sure of the gearing in the rear, but I'm willing to change the gears if necessary. This trucks sole purpose in my life will be to tow an open 20' car trailer and do other jobs that trucks do. I don't need a hot rod, got plenty of those.

With an eye towards making torque and being fuel efficient, what cam would you put in this engine? Would you change the intake/carb combo or will the ones already on it work well? Please provide specs or a brand and part number you have experience with.

Thanks, Andy

Re: Chevy RV cam

I had a '69 Chevelle with a 350/350 in it. 3:31 rear gear. Trans had a mild shift kit in it, but stock stall. Engine was a '77 350. Edelbrock performer cam and intake. 600 Carter carb and stock manifolds sparked off by an HEI dizzy. I don't know about towing, but the low end in that motor was great. It would pull nice and consistent all the way to 5000 rpm. Didn't even have headers. Just a smooth street combo in a full weight A-body.
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I run this cam in my 350 that I originally had in my 305.
      1.6 :1 roller rockers.

Which "apparently" according to Desktop Dyno gives me this.

I like the cam and am glad I used it, accelerates the car hard from standstill, but is out of puff by 4500rpm,
      but I never have to go that high on the street.
      Rearend is 2.90, tranny a B/M 700R4 with lower first.
      Thatīs not the only version Crane has on offer, some need a rear end gear change.

Comment

Originally posted by malc
        I run this cam in my 350 that I originally had in my 305.
        1.6 :1 roller rockers.

Which "apparently" according to Desktop Dyno gives me this.

I like the cam and am glad I used it, accelerates the car hard from standstill, but is out of puff by 4500rpm,
        but I never have to go that high on the street.
        Rearend is 2.90, tranny a B/M 700R4 with lower first.
        Thatīs not the only version Crane has on offer, some need a rear end gear change.
        I second this except i may use a 1;7 rocker

Comment

I would use Malc's cam, untouched.

Using a 1.7 rocker could cause valvetrain geometry
          issues, that would not be cost effective.

Comment

I have had numerous 350's over the years in daily drivers. My cam of choice for all of these is always a Summit cam kit. The one that works great for me specs out at:

Lift....410 Int/.420 Exh
            Duration @ .050....204 int/214 exh

I put this cam in everything from 1/2 ton trucks to the current engine in my Camaro. It has crisp throttle response, pulls to 5k, and gets on average 18 to 20 MPG. All the DD 350's I've put together are flat top motors with smog heads, performer intake and 600 vac sec. I use a factory high stall converter and highway gears. I think cam and lifters run about $80.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'm considering this one,

Or this one,

Comment

The second one might make a bit more low end, favoring the exhaust.
                I like Malcs recommendation, it will be drivable, and very strong.

Comment

I put this one into a friends boat with a 350 in it.

ELG-E923P

.420/.443 Lift
                  ELGIN E923P Camshaft 1955-1994 283-400
                  .420/.443 Lift
                  270°/280° Advertised Duration
                  RPM Range 1500-4000
                  Good Choice for Towing
                  Recommend performance springs
                  112° Lobe Center
                  51° Overlap
                  Good to Fair Idle
                  204°/214° Duration at .050

Ended up it works so good (Pulls HARD) that I bought one for my wifes 69 Camaro (Stock '79 350 with an aluminum intake, Q-jet, stock exhaust manifolds, no covertor/gear etc.) Hoping for good street perf and decent mileage untill the LT1 conversion...

Chris

Comment

Honestly, I'd step up tp a better intake choice.
                    RPM airgap comes to mind.

Comment

I have a stock GM aluminum intake for a quadrajet. I don't know what it came off of. Thinking of using it, probably not much help in the way of performance, but might look nice. Probably just use the cast one and spray the whole thing orange, stamped steel valve covers and all.

Comment

Well, at least cut the devider between the two sides down, and gain some volume.
                        And port match them and the head ports to the gasket opening, it will help.

Comment

Yea - what Bill said - and use the aluminum one - every bit of weight savings helps.

Hopefully your header tubes are the proper (smallish) size - big tubes don't help low end torque.

A good converter really helps trucks - I got a "tow truck" converter from protorque - best converter I ever had in a truck - made a world of difference in an otherwise stock truck.

Tuning your advance curve can help a bunch too with towing and MPG - play with it once you have it running. Sounds like a great combo - should be reliable and fuel efficient with the right tune.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It may cost a little money to get it set up right,
                            but I'd stick with a Q-jet here, too.

Comment

well I would agree except i have done it and won, changing from the stock 1:5 rocker to a 1:7 rocker in a non milled head application will not cause any damage, and it will compisate for a not so beefy camshaft. your little .500 cam just turned into a .610 ish cam

Comment

Working...
                              X