Swap a TH350 for a 4L60E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap a TH350 for a 4L60E?

Been contemplating this for my truck (1972 C10 with a 2-piece driveshaft). I'm aware of the driveshaft probably needing to be shortened (looks like I've got a 6" tailshaft on the TH350, but I haven't measured it to make sure) and plan to use a MegaShift for the electronics, but have a couple unanswered questions.

1. Would my existing shift linkage connect up, or did 4L60E equipped cars put the shift switchgear outside the transmission?

2. Any changes needed to the rear trans mount or crossmember?

3. Anything else needed, like hammering on the floorboards to get it to clear?

Not sure if I'll go through with this, but thought I'd poke around to see how much work I'd be getting myself into if I tried.

should have a long tailshaft trans in there if it's original. That makes it easy, since it should bethe same length as the 4L60E.

You'd need to move the crossmember back a bit so the mount lines up. That involves drilling 8 each 3/8" holes in the frame, which is a bitch. Unless it happens to have holes already in the right place to work with the TH400? Take a look.

The rest of it should work pretty well, same linkage in the same place, you won't get manual 1st gear unless you play with the shifter gate so the lever can move further, I think.

And the usual stuff about playing with wiring and computers, but you know all about that. Your speedo won't work, but I expect you have a digital solution for that.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

what I know is the 4L60 replicates the 350 and the 4L80 replicates the turbo 400. Most of the internals are the same, so the externals probably are too.

Comment

The externals are similar, but the length and weight are different, and the mount is in a different place.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

So the 4L60&80 are electronic speedo units?
          Can they run without electronics? If not what are they set off of?

Comment

The E suffix transmissions are Electronic control. The 4L60 is a 700R4. The 4L60E is a computer controlled transmission.

The 4L80E is computer controlled, there is no non-computer version of it unfortunately.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              The E suffix transmissions are Electronic control. The 4L60 is a 700R4. The 4L60E is a computer controlled transmission.

The 4L80E is computer controlled, there is no non-computer version of it unfortunately.
              You can buy stand alone computers to run those transmissions, but be prepared to pay at the very minimum $600 for one.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I could be mistaken here, and am not sure of the price.........

BUT, I believe there is a factory controller that is reasonable. Well, more reasonable than the aftermarket ones, and likely the same internals.

They came on the diesels that used the 4L80E. Simple standalone control boxes, usually commercial vehicles have/had them.

Worth investigation anyways?
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

The diesel boxes are what were used for most 4L80E swaps before better stuff came along. The shift points are not quite optimized for a gas powered hot rod....eh?
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Thanks guys! One of the reasons I was considering doing this (besides the overdrive) was specifically for horsing around with aftermarket trans controllers.

Comment

Of course. Sounds like fun.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

What kind of horsepower the stock 4l60e can handle before you have to upgrade it?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Perico3 View Post
                            What kind of horsepower the stock 4l60e can handle before you have to upgrade it?
                            I follow along on the sloppy mechanics on facebook.
                            the 4l60e does not seem to be a happy camper in the boosted world.
                            I think it is a case of factory motors going much further than no one really anticipated..builders just go with the transmission without enough thought.

going into an older lighter truck, staying natural.. should go a long time.
                            I still find 700r4 getting built.

if you are 2wd.. a cheap strong leap would be the manuals. Nearly whatever you want.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The handling of horsepower depends on several things, i.e.; how much does the vehicle weigh, what's the rear gearing, where does the motor make its power. Basically, if you've put 3-5k into your motor be prepared to put 2k into your transmission, both you and the vehicle will be happier.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Working...
                              X