Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edelbrock 1406 Carb an Fuel filter placement ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edelbrock 1406 Carb an Fuel filter placement ?

Does any one know if there is an internal screen/filter inthese carbs at the inlet port? Also I need to install an inline filter, I was considering mouting it back near the tank....does it matter where in the system it is?

Thanks

Re: Edelbrock 1406 Carb an Fuel filter placement ?

No integral filter, that I know of.

I would put the filter where it's easy to access, to be replaced often.

Comment

yes there is a screen in the inlets on the inside all 5 of mine came with them run the second filter too

Comment

Originally posted by min301
        No integral filter, that I know of.

I would put the filter where it's easy to access, to be replaced often.
        What he said.

...and, if you are putting it near the back of the vehicle (far away from the carb), I would be sure to use some carb cleaner and some compressed air to flush the line. Once the line is clean, it shouldn't matter where the filter is installed; no debris should get to the carb.

Comment

EVERYTHING....and I mean EVERYTHING is new, tank, pick-up, 3/8 fuel line, carter fuel pump, tubeing to the carb...No filter yet as I am trying to determine placement and am working on installing adel clamps to secure the line......I think I will put it out back by the tank, its easy access and wont add to the already cluttered engine bay.....Thanks guys.....

Jay, thanks for the info on the 1406....can you remove and clean the screen?

Comment

ya but it's a pain it is just a lil screen bout the size of a pencel i took mine out and just use a regular filter

Comment

You might want to pull the lid and check the filter screens in the needle/seats. Especially, the one farthest from the fuel inlet. Running without a filter can cause a buildup of crud, even just lint in those cause fuel stoppage. I've seen many times were the driver's side completely clogged by just lint and crap because of a lack of a filter.

An inline filter is absolutely necessary for Edelbrock carbs.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                You might want to pull the lid and check the filter screens in the needle/seats. Especially, the one farthest from the fuel inlet. Running without a filter can cause a buildup of crud, even just lint in those cause fuel stoppage. I've seen many times were the driver's side completely clogged by just lint and crap because of a lack of a filter.

An inline filter is absolutely necessary for Edelbrock carbs.
                I was running 2 filters on it, one big fram fiter before the pump and one after the pump, but I had planned on cleaning the carb just to be sure...the needles are an easyremoval on tese things so I will pull and clean too....

Comment

3 psi of fuel pressure

Comment

CARBURETOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
                    CARBURETOR FAQs

Q: How can I lean down my carburetor to get better mileage?

A: First off, make sure the correct size, (cfm) carburetor is installed on the engine and be sure the idle mixture screws are properly adjusted (see page 6 of the Owner's Manual). You can always make your carburetor leaner, but this will not always improve gas mileage. Since every engine is different, there is no way of knowing how much of an affect leaning down the carburetor will have on your engine. You can refer to your carburetor owners manual (download here) and the calibration chart inside to lean down the carb. Start off light, but keep an eye on the plugs to make sure you aren’t taking it too lean. You will see on the chart that you can lean the carburetor down in different percentages in different modes, cruise and power.

Q: What metering rods and jets do I need to run with my combination?

A: There is no “pre-determined” combination of rods and jets for any given motor, accept for altitude corrective applications, which is 4% for every 3,000 ft of elevation. Every engine is going to require a different fuel curve. The best thing to do is run the carburetor on the engine right out of the box to build a baseline, then check the spark plugs and see how they look. You need to have a light brown, or tan color on the plugs. If they are too white or too black, you need to make adjustments, refer to the tuning chart in your carburetor owner’s manual (download here). Plug reading gives you an accurate idea of what is actually taking place inside the combustion chamber. Please note, today’s re-formulated fuels can leave a lack of accurate colorization. To order replacement parts via mail, (download here). To purchase replacement parts online, (click here).

Q: I am getting fuel in my oil, what is this caused by?

A: Fuel in the oil can be caused by several conditions including a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm, incorrect fuel line hook-up, and carburetor flooding. If the problem is carb flooding, check the following: Fuel pressure should not exceed 6.5 psi. Float level should be verified to be at 7/16. Refer to supplied owners manual (download here). Verify needle & seats are free of any debris, and have a smooth range of operation and travel. Verify floats are free of any fluid by shaking the float, or submersing it in a safe, non flammable fluid.

Q: My carburetor whistles, what causes this, how can I fix it?

A: This may be caused by a rip or tear in a base gasket, air horn gasket, or adapter gasket or some foreign material stuck in an air passage of the carburetor. Inspect the gaskets to make sure you have no vacuum leaks of any kind. Check to make sure carburetor is seated correctly, and is fastened with the correct hardware. You can perform a quick check to find external vacuum leaks (such as a leaky carb base gasket) by spraying starting fluid on suspected areas while the engine is idling. If the engine speed changes for a second or two after you spray an area of the carb, you’re found the leak.

Q: I can’t get my idle below 1,000 RPM with your Edelbrock carburetor, what should I do?

A: Check for correct choke operation and adjustment. Make sure that the fast idle cam is not causing this. Verify the throttle arm rests on the idle speed screw. It is important to verify throttle linkage, and or throttle blades are not binding and have a free range of operation. Throttle return spring should be correctly located and adjusted. In most cases, the return spring should be positioned on the top of the throttle arm forward. This should have been confirmed when the Wide Open Throttle test was performed during the initial installation of the carburetor. Make sure all of the vacuum ports on the carburetor are being utilized or blocked off.

Q: I purchased your 1406 carburetor and it is too lean, what should I do?

A: The 1406 is calibrated lean for fuel economy. In some applications, re-calibration of the carburetor may be necessary for optimum performance. See page 22-23 in the supplied owner’s manual (download here). Step # 23 on the calibration reference chart is a good starting point for enriching the air/ fuel mixture.

Q: How can I get a carburetor owner’s manual?

A: You can order a Performer Series carburetor owner’s manual by calling, faxing, (see Contact Us page) or emailing our Tech Dept at [email protected] or you can download one here.

Q: Why can’t I route my fuel line to the front of the Performer carburetor like I do on my Q-jet?

A: All of our Performer Series and AVS carburetors feature the PCV port on the front center of the carburetor; it can only be used for PCV. The fuel inlet is on the passenger side rear of the carburetor. Incorrect installation of the fuel line can cause severe engine damage.

Q: How do I hook up my electric choke (voltage)?

A: The Electric choke on our Performer Series and AVS carburetors needs to be hooked to a “keyed” (while the key is in the on position) 12-volt power source, with a good ground. Verify there is no voltage when the key is in the off position. Do not connect the positive wire to the Ignition Coil, ballast resistor or Alternator.

Q: My carburetor is flooding, what do I check?

A: Carburetor flooding can be cause by the following conditions. First, verify, with a fuel pressure gauge that the pressure does not exceed 6.5 psi. Floats should be set to the factory spec of 7/16, (see owners manual)(download here). Needles & Seats can be clogged with debris, not allowing them to close. They can be cleaned and checked when the float level is being verified. Floats can be sinking due to a leak. Verify floats are free of any fluid by shaking the float, or submersing it in a safe, non flammable fluid.

Q: Can I run my PCV line to the rear of the carburetor?

A: We do not recommend routing the PCV line to the rear of the carburetor. We recommend that the PCV line go to the front, if you have power brakes, they go to the rear.

Q: On the front of my Performer Series carburetor, which screw is air and which one is fuel?

A: Both Idle mixture screws on the front of our Performer Series and AVS carburetors control air/fuel mixture at idle. The left screw controls the left venturi and the right screw controls the right venturi. Refer to your carburetor owner’s manual (download here) to properly tune the idle mixture.

Q: Which side of the carburetor do I put my dist vacuum line to?

A: Generally the distributor vacuum line goes to the timed (pass side of carburetor) port. This is mandatory on emission controlled applications.

Q: I have a Performer Series carburetor and my engine stalls when I come to a stop or a sharp turn, what will fix this problem?

A: An incorrect float level can cause this to occur. Make sure that the float levels are set properly at 7/16” per the owner’s manual (download here). Excessive fuel pressure can also contribute to this condition.

Q: I see fuel dripping from the carburetor boosters at idle, what causes this?

A: Too much fuel pressure usually causes this and often times dirt in the float bowls can do the same. Make sure your fuel pressure does not exceed 6.0 psi, optimum pressure is 5.5 psi.

Comment

I have one set at 3 psi , which was the old recommended fuel pressure , works ok

Comment

yep 3 psi mine wont run with the 5 psi, even new out of the box!!!
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                        X