Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing road race truck chassis, could use help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing road race truck chassis, could use help.....

Hi folks, I am looking for anyone in the Bangshift family, who has experience in road racing chassis design. I am helping a good friend of mine, design a chassis for his 65
    sigpic"Take most people, they're crazy about cars† I'd rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God's sake."

Jerome David Salinger

Ford pick up, which he plans to use as an occasional auto cross and time trial vehicle, yet it will still need to be a street vehicle. It needs to retain some accessibility to the passenger compartment.
    sigpic"Take most people, they're crazy about cars† I'd rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God's sake."

Jerome David Salinger

Comment

As a mechanical engineer, I have some experience in this type of design, but by no means am I an expert in this field. I have found several websites on chassis design which are more or less, rough overviews, which outline basic design steps, but don't go into specific detail.

Jerome David Salinger

Comment

. I am using Solid works Cosmos to do some Finite evaluation. Any help or suggestions, opinions, would be greatly appreciated. Front and rear suspension will come from a 03’ Crown Vic Police car. He would like to use coilover’s all round, most likely 5 link rear suspension.

Here are some preliminary design drawings.

Thanks, Craig W.

Last edited by OHC230; April 20, 2012, 09:11 AM.

Jerome David Salinger

Comment

The Crown Vic rear suspension is already 5-link, no? Assuming that you count the Watts linkage as the 5th link. How does the track width of the CV stuff work for the size of the old truck? I know that the 03-up cars with the revised suspension compared to the older cars have the hubs right out at the corners, and high positive offset wheels to keep the tires under the body. Were you planning to use the original aluminium front crossmember from the CV, or fab something up?

cheers
          Ed
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Hi Ed, we are planning on using the cross member from the Crown Vic and as much of the original suspension as we can. I know that the CV front suspension has become a popular mod for the earlier F-100's and after studying the geometry I can tell why. Like a lot of folks, my younger friend is on a tight budget. He's a really impressive young man and not a bad fabricator. He works for the Armed services and I feel compelled to help him use this project to further his skills.

Jerome David Salinger

Comment

Interesting. I look forward to watching your progress.

You can purchase some very inexpensive chassis simulation programs that will help you a great deal in testing your ideas, or you can spend an arm and a leg.

I assume that you are aware of the Carroll Smith books, they are the go to reference that is easily digestible. If you're into digging deeper, look to the Milliken & Milliken texts.

If you can get on at Corner-Carvers, you need to work your way through the roll cage thread. Absolutely a must review. I can tell that you need to view it, given the fact that you've landed a couple of tubes mid-span, instead of at a node.

I designed the final rendition of both the front and rear of my racecar, heavily modfying some Griggs components and creating some of my own. I would think, if your guy doesn't intend to use the bed of his truck, he would be better off with a "three-link" than a "five".

I'm not familiar with the CV rear suspension, but if it follows the normal Ford routine, its a "quadra-bind." Four angled links that also locate the axle laterally?
              I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                if your guy doesn't intend to use the bed of his truck, he would be better off with a "three-link" than a "five".
                Nascar style??, like the late 60's, early 70's chevy trucks with the rear coil spring suspension??

Comment

No.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

Thanks Bob, I did glance at Carroll Smiths' books, I'll for sure give them a closer read. Good observation on the tube connection error, I did notice it when I was laying out dimensions. I had not heard of "Corner Carvers" I will definitely check them out. I tried to talk my young friend into building a race only vehicle, so I could use formulaic components, but he just doesn't have the budget or space for another vehicle. The utility aspect of his truck was high on his list of priorities, so the bed needs to be there in some form.

I'm not familiar with the CV rear suspension, but if it follows the normal Ford routine, its a "quadra-bind." Four angled links that also locate the axle laterally?

Yes, the CV is a slightly improved version of the earlier "quadra-bind" I would have preferred to do a 3 link rear and I may even spring for the materials to do it.

Jerome David Salinger

Comment

I wonder if you could adapt a Cobra IRS? They are pretty damn cheap, and with some readily available fixes from Maximum Motorsports they perform reasonably well.

I think the "powerbloc" Saturday morning program "trucks" shows the adaptation of that IRS to a Ranger frame.

If not, think torque arm with a panhard. Easy to fab, pretty damn easy to set up and will save his bed space.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Pictured below is my buddy Karl's 62 Ford F100. It has the original unibody dropped over a complete '03 Mercury Maurader chassis, engine trans, electronics, everything. It handles amazingly well on the road course and auto-x and is great on the street with the factory airbags.

You can do what ever you want as regards engines etc. but the foundation is remarkably competent.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

CDMBill, that is one nice truck!

I wonder if you could adapt a Cobra IRS? They are pretty damn cheap, and with some readily available fixes from Maximum Motorsports they perform reasonably well.

You know Bob, I kind of talked my young friend out of doing IRS, because I didn't want him to spend every last penny and all of his free time on his truck. I have encouraged him to go to college using his G.I. bill and he has agreed to go, after much persuasion. Like I said before, he is an exceptional young man and I would like him to be inspired to live up to his potential. He worked with me for 6 months this past year. In that time he amazed me with his ability to grasp all most anything. Sadly, I don't often meet people from his generation who aspire to be really good citizens. I guess now that my own kids are grown up and out of the house, I still need to be a parent!!!!

In any case, I'm going to spring for the hardware and extra tubing, so we can do the 3 link. I may need to bug you for insight on that.

BTW, much thanks to all for your input.

Craig.
                          Last edited by OHC230; April 15, 2012, 11:03 PM.

Jerome David Salinger

Comment

Great that you are mentoring this young man, there's too little of that going on!

Another idea on the cheap would be a complete IRS from a Tbird from the early 90's - they are not light, but it is IRS with rear disc and 8.8gears/differential which are common and easy to get parts for. The entire assembly unbolts from the unibody with 4 or 6 bolts. I had one for a while I wanted to put into a cobra kit - eventually I junked it - couldn't find it a home on craigslist.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                              Pictured below is my buddy Karl's 62 Ford F100. It has the original unibody dropped over a complete '03 Mercury Maurader chassis, engine trans, electronics, everything. It handles amazingly well on the road course and auto-x and is great on the street with the factory airbags.

You can do what ever you want as regards engines etc. but the foundation is remarkably competent.

Any work in progress pictures of the F100??

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X