Cooling F100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling F100

Love this truck. 1973 F100 with 351C 4v, C6. Cooling was inconsistent. Pulled the thermostat. The little copper "hat" had come unstuck and moved without regard to temperature. Problem. Replaced thermostat with 180 degree unit. NAPA. Now it runs generally toward the high side of the gauge, ambient temp 40-50 (or less). That seems a bit high, but it shows no signs of heating problems. I can hold the upper rad hose in my bare hand. It feels pretty hot, but not so hot you have to let go. Does that sound normal? Could it be a sending unit issue? I am considering a different gauge showing temp. Ideas? Recommendations?

I'd get a gauge with numbers, really not a lot of coin. I if you can hold the hose, I don't think it is all that hot. I think you start burning your skin around 120* with a few seconds of exposure, 140* should burn you almost instantly.
    Last edited by Beagle; April 15, 2012, 04:47 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I see no signs of overheating. In fact, even after pulling the last hill home, about 2000 feet in four miles, I can pull the trans dipstick and wipe it with bare fingers. It is barely warm. I'm gonna break down and replace all the gauges as ducks become available. No need to try for "factory stock" on this ol' girl.

Comment

Working...
      X