Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about starting a tool tech thread or sticky.............

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about starting a tool tech thread or sticky.............

Would be nice to have a thread telling of good tools or tool deals..........I start with one I got today..........

Coast LED Headlamp regularly $24.99 now $9.88 when purchased on-line then picked up at store........theyre going fast..........

You must click add to cart to see discount price after choosing pick up at store

Model # TT7041CP

SKU # 554435

Internet # 202500218

Last edited by 383S-10; December 5, 2011, 10:33 PM.
    That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

good idea for a sticky
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I'd like to see the thread be a more permanent type with great home made ideas, cool tools you never knew exsited etc. less about current, short term delas. I think that is valuable but should be in a different place, Like Hot Deals for BS'ers, or something.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I agree, more home made tool tech.

Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	858853

Welding table built from scrap steel, vice was on sale for 12.99 at Harbor Freight.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Or just maybe useful tools that everyone can use.....

Like these, Vise Grips with a Chain, this little beauty does wonders when having to hold the crankshaft from spinning while trying to break loose the crankshaft bolt.......

Last edited by TC; December 7, 2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Here's another really helpful tool if your into fabricating sheet metal stuff.....They are called RivNut's.....which are basically a rivet with a threaded center.....I used them on the fan shrouds to mount the electric fans......

And the installation tool looks pretty much just like a regular rivet gun except you screw the rivet on instead of it sliding into the gun........

Last edited by TC; December 7, 2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Okay I really like both ideas......maybe a main tool heading with 2 or 3 sub sections for tools, bargain or valuable tool purchases, and a how-to or a how I did this section..........what do you think?
              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                Here's another really helpful tool if your into fabricating sheet metal stuff.....They are called RivNut's.....which are basically a rivet with a threaded center.....I used them on the fan shrouds to mount the electric fans......

And the installation tool looks pretty much just like a regular rivet gun except you screw the rivet on instead of it sliding into the gun........

I use rivnuts almost every day at work, the tool shown doesnt work very well (to hard to "upset" the rivnut) they make a bigger one it has handles like a bolt cutter and the rivnut screws on the front. i used these to fix the hood of a truck like TC's GMC
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

rivnut..
                  good for extending a roof rack. Going through the roof, I ended up using stainless anchors.

did not know about those back then.

I do have an odd problem..

a single bolt crank pulley, and a smooth flywheel...what can stop the crank?

little holes in the top of the 23 pound flywheel, I end up stabbing with a 3/16ths punch and break it.

the pulley needs >140 foot pounds (whatever the engine is worth).

silly japanese thing.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

make a tooth that grabs a couple flywheel teeth and bolts onto the block at the bell housing bolt
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I bought the Makita 12v cordless lithium ion drills (a impact driver and a drill) for $139 from Home Depot. I like these little things.... my poor 18v drill is going to get lonely.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ok here is my tool tech for the day.

Junky eastwood shrinker strecher

They aren't horrible out of the box but they can be much better with some tuning.

Disassemble and clean them. Then polish the mating surfaces of the wedge and the ramp with some 220 and 320 paper. Apply a little grease to the moving parts. Night and day difference works much better.
                        There are a couple of utube videos about this. I love listing to this guy!

Metal shaping guru Lazze shows you how the small shrinker and stretcher available from a variety of retail outlets can be made to perform better.Simple tips ...

I built a base I could easily store and work with on a bench top. I had the 3/4 ply sitting around and the leftover paint from a job site.

Yes I got carried away with the finish but they work well. the only change I would make is to narrow the front to allow for more clearance kind of coke bottle shape.

Steve
                        Last edited by rightpedal; December 17, 2011, 06:36 AM.
                        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                          rivnut..
                          good for extending a roof rack. Going through the roof, I ended up using stainless anchors.

did not know about those back then.

I do have an odd problem..

a single bolt crank pulley, and a smooth flywheel...what can stop the crank?

little holes in the top of the 23 pound flywheel, I end up stabbing with a 3/16ths punch and break it.

the pulley needs >140 foot pounds (whatever the engine is worth).

silly japanese thing.
                          Large span wrench , grind down the nub to fit the hole

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            I bought the Makita 12v cordless lithium ion drills (a impact driver and a drill) for $139 from Home Depot. I like these little things.... my poor 18v drill is going to get lonely.
                            I got the milwaukee, my 18volt has an inch of dust on it

Comment

RaceIQ app for computers and mobile devices

This came up on the Dayum thread re Jake's awesome Chevelle and props to Jeff McConnell for showing it to us. Five bucks, amazing.

"RaceIQ is a mobile timeslip log and analyzer. Instead of keeping all your runs on paper which is hard to keep track of and use, you log the runs into RaceIQ. They are then organized by date, and you are provided several powerful analyzation tools to determine what is working for your vehicle, and what isn't. Read below to find out more about RaceIQ and how it can help you either shave time off your runs, or be more consistent on the track."

I've added about 15 custom fields for suspension settings and other inputs that can be a pain to track and remember especially for an old fart like me. That I can do it on my iPad or iPhone or android or what ever makes it far more likely that i'll actually track this stuff and keep good notes. I'm interested to see what other BS'ers come up with in terms of optimal usage.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X