Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire slime: Good idea or not?

Background info:
    I ran over a nail last week with my truck and left it in until I got home because I figured a flat tire at home is better than a flat where I was. Turns out the tire has a tube in it though. I tried patching it, woke up the next morning and it was flat. I took it to the guy right down the road from me who I have do my tires when I don't want to mess with them, plus he can balance them too. A few days later, he tells me he can't find the leak, and the tire seems to hold air so he gave it back and told me to let him know how it works. I'm not all that worried about fixing it permanently because I'm going to replace it in the next few months anyway. It held air for 4 or 5 days and now it's leaking again.

I'm considering just using some of that green tire slime in it. I've heard that it actually bonds the tire to the rim and could ruin the rim, but I figure with a tube I wouldn't have that problem. I need to use the truck Friday on a 300 mile round trip, so I would like to fix it tomorrow and it's probably too short of notice for a garage to fix it because I'm at school now, and they're probably going to be expensive.

Has anyone else heard or seen the tire slime ruing a wheel before and should it be okay with a tube?

I have it in my Schwinn, which has tubes. And my lawnmower, which does not. But I wouldn't put it in a car or truck tire. Then again, I can usually afford to fix tires the right way.

Being that you have a tube, it probably won't hurt the rim. Might screw with the balance.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Due to the structure of an inner tube, that tire slime just doesn't work in them. I like the slime in low-pressure, off-road tires for ATV's, golf carts and lawn mowers, but I would not use it in an automotive application unless in an emergency. That stuff is extremely corrosive (most of it contains ammonia) and will rust/oxidize your wheels badly. It is also a tire changer's worst nightmare. If you ever put it in a tire and have to have the tire replaced, BE SURE to tell the tire guy that you put that crap in there before he breaks the bead on it.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Yeah, I've used it in a wheelbarrow tire, and a quad tire that I got rid of before I took the tire off again. The balance is probably off anyway because it's worn. I guess another concern I had was would a tube hold up to it? I know it's some kind of chemical reaction, and the tube is much thinner than a tire and possibly a different composition, but it shouldn't deteriorate the tube, would it? I have never seen what this stuff actually does to rubber, that's why I'm questioning whether or not to use it in a road going tire.

Edit: I miss when it told you someone else posted in the thread before you did

Thanks for more info Ron
        Last edited by moparmaniac07; November 30, 2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

had it in my bicycle tires for a long time, it works fine with a tube in that application.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Just did some research and it seems that tire slime is just a thick goo that will block small holes. Fix-a-flat and other products are the corrosive ones. I'm thinking if my patch has a small leak from not sealing all the way (I just checked the tire and it has air in it, but earlier today my friend told me it was hissing), the slime would work and not corrode anything. Though I also read that tubes with slime in it were hard to patch because the slime leaked out the hole so the adhesive couldn't stick to the tube, so if it is corrosive and reacts with the patch adhesive, I could be riding around on the spare for a few days.

Comment

I've used the green slime in mountain bike tires in cactus-happy AZ for years, stopped my frequent flat problem like a Kardashian marriage.

No probs with corrosion, and it was in the tube/tire for years. Don't think it would throw off the balance as its a liquid, and really just smooths out at speed.

The "Fix-a-Flat" stuff.... I've used it, (cars/tractors) but never popped it open later to do an autopsy. Dunno.
              Last edited by Caveman Tony; November 30, 2011, 09:38 PM.
              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I had a slime kit with baby air compressor in my car as an "emergency tool" and managed to get a flat with the whole butt end of the car loaded with junk. I slimed it, and during the twenty minutes it took for the baby air compressor to fill a 265 70 16, I got bored and read the directions. IIRC, they state not to drive over 55 with it in their, or something like that, and to drive around without stopping for several minutes while it tried to find it's shape. It shook pretty hard at 70, and lasted for a couple of weeks (cuz I was lazy) before I replaced the tires.

I was more worried about what it would do to the inflation detector thingies, but it didn't seem to hurt them. I tipped the guy 10.00 cuz I know washing that sh*t off had to have been a pain. In an emergency or fit of sheer laziness I would do it again. I think the hole in mine came from a 16c nail - pretty big hole, and it worked okay. I wouldn't leave it in a high speed wheel/tire though. Mower? Heck yeah.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

In my experience, TireSlime will corrode the heck out of an aluminum wheel. Use it if you must, but if you intend to keep the wheel for more than a few months, I would be sure to break it down and clean it out ASAP and fix it right.

I've seen more than one set of high-dollar aluminum wheel completely RUINED by TireSlime. I have never seen corrosion on a steel wheel from TireSlime however.

I also doubt it would work very well with an innertube. That is just opinion, I have no experience there.

Want a good alternative to TireSlime? Take 8 ounces of Liquid Aluminum Bars Leak, mix it with 16 ounces of Antifreeze, pull the valve core and put this mixture in the tire. The BarsLeak is made to play nice with aluminum, as is the antifreeze, and works quite well.

Don't get me wrong, I like TireSlime and keep some in the shop, most of my mowers have some in them, wheelbarrows, dolly carts, etc. But there are downsides to it as well. Make an educated decision for each instance.

Good Luck and have a safe trip!
                  Last edited by STINEY; December 1, 2011, 09:30 AM.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I am not a fan and yes it messes up wheels plus its not going to balance out well.
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I have an unused bottle of that stuff, I was going to use on a rear slick that kept going down but just got new tires instead. I guess I'm glad I didn't use it.
                      Our little girl was getting flat tires everyother day on her bike, I was becoming a real pro at patching her inner tubes up, until one day I was at the store and seen "green slime inner tubes" I got her a set and haven't had to fix any tires since then, and she hasn't complained about any balance issues. lol
                      Originally posted by TC
                      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Want a good alternative to TireSlime? Take 8 ounces of Liquid Aluminum Bars Leak, mix it with 16 ounces of Antifreeze, pull the valve core and put this mixture in the tire. The BarsLeak is made to play nice with aluminum, as is the antifreeze, and works quite well.

Good Luck and have a safe trip!
                        I would have never thought of that.

As of right now, the tire's still holding air, though I didn't check the pressure. I've got a small compressor, a spare, and a plug kit, so I'll probably just go with it. I thought slime might be an easy fix and not have to worry about it, but I'm pretty sure that's the only tire with a tube so I can plug the rest if anything else happens. Thanks for saving me the hassle of dealing with slime aftermath.

Comment

I worked in a tire shop years ago and can tell you from experience, any of that stuff should not be used in an auto tire. It does corrode wheels or cause them to rust, no matter what style. A patch will not hold to the tire if you have it repaired later and will start leaking again. You can plug the tire and have a good chance of stopping the leak but I don't like using plugs.
                          When someone came in with fix-a-flat or similar in the tire, we'd explain the problem and the fact we couldn't guarantee the patch.

Comment

all the fix a flat in a can.. is not a good idea if you plan on getting life out of the tire, anything that melts rubber to seal, can also seperate the rubber layers from the belts,, and then you get belt or tread squirm

Comment

After doing a thorough search on Google, I can tell you that not one LEGIT website even mentions "Tire Slime", Fix-A-Flat", etc, etc. And for good reason. Stich496 is correct in stating that "tire slime" most likely will cause seperation of the inner layers. To put your mind at ease....always remove the faulty tire/wheel and replace with correct spare or correct size replacement.

From a legal standpoint I will not advocate you use or do not use these products. I will however be happy to give you an understanding as to Why you shouldn't use them.
                              1) All the tire repair products are in one form or another a LIQUID. Liquids DO NOT Balance
                              2) Repairs are limited to the tread area only (no sidewall repairs).
                              3) All tire repair in-a-can Liquids VOID TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) Warranties.
                              4) Most repair facilities will NOT charge extra for Proper Tire Repair if they are told in advance that you used "Tire Slime".
                              5) Check for compatability with Nitrogen
                              6) A 2006 RMA study of more than 14,000 scrap tires found that 17% of tires had a tire repair. Of that subset, 88% of the repairs were improper.
                              7) Proper tire repairs must be performed by removing the tire from the rim/wheel assembly to perform a complete inspection.
                              8) ANY Tread area puncture Automaticaly VOIDS the SPEEDRATING on the tire. Check with manufacturer to see if a specialty warranty applies regarding tire patch warranty for life of tire.

From personal experience, I will say that the most impolite thing a Customer can do is to NOT tell the service writer or tech that "Tire Slime" was used. I have been sprayed on 3 seperate occasions when I removed a tire from the rim or when I removed the valvestem core prior to dismounting the tire (good thing I wear safety glasses). I have had to change pants after removing a tire loaded with tire slime. The last tire repair I had was back in October 2011. Vehicle was a 2010 Colorado. Customer complaint was TPMS light was on and tire was low. I aired up the tire and I barely got to 20 PSI when I was greeted with a fine Green mist spraying on my arm from the puncture. I was not only able to repair the tire, but AFTER Replacing the TPM, I was able to turn off the TPMS light. The "Tire Slime" ate at the epoxy covering the TPM circut board, exposing the electronics to the tire repair liquid and disabling the TPM.
                              It is late, otherwise I would spend some time getting a picture of the bad TPM posted here.
                              Todd
                              Last edited by Motor City Impala; December 8, 2011, 08:20 PM.
                              [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"LIFE is a Two-Way Street. If you can't handle the traffic; stay in the garage."

Comment

Working...
                              X