Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the easiest way to lower a chevy truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the easiest way to lower a chevy truck?

I don't know if I even really want to try this yet because I plan on towing a trailer, but I was just wondering about this.
    It's a 1990 chevy 1500 and I think it would be a little cooler if it was a little lower, maybe as low as the trailer so everything sits level. I think it would require it to be about 4" lower in the rear and maybe 2" in the front. I was looking a little last night and my thoughts now are droped spindles for the front and a raised schackel for the rear.
    I'm just wondering and thinking right now, but what have you guys done and how did it work out?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

That sounds like a wise way to do it. Easier (and cheaper) would be to cut the front springs, but that changes the geometry of the suspension enough where it may effect handling somewhat- Same basic suspension as my Chevelle. I cut the front Moroso Trick springs to the desired height (as per the instructions) and then it settled... it currently sits perhaps a half inch from the bump stops.
    With the drop spindles, you still have the proper geometry of the A arms, plenty of room for suspension travel, the factory ride quality... just lower. Same with rear shackles.

You may have to buy shorter shocks.

Comment

I was thinking by running it over with a haul truck, but you seem to want it functional afterwards...
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

For a 4" rear drop it needs new spring hangers and a shackle, just a shackle will drop it about 2". In the front I would use a drop spring if it was me. With spindles you have to trim the a-arm to clear the wheels unless you use wheels larger than 17". I had a 93 I lowered 4/6 and the required a rear flip and a frame notch in the rear and a spindle and a spring for the front. It was a little low for alot or trailer use. If I did it again I would have proably just went 2/2 with a coil and shackle.
        79 malibu that hopefully makes it for 3000 miles

Made it with no breakdowns, missing 2012

Comment

I say a 2/4 drop ... it'll still be a decent hauler with that amount. I did the 2/4 on a 94 xcab .... shackles and hangers in the rear and front springs. I had 15X8 Rallys on it so I went the spring route. The ride was not much stiffer/harsher than the factory springs and it actually improved handling in the mountains. I was still able to pull an 18' car trailer as well as my 30' travel trailer.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Easiest way?

Let the air out of the tires.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

ive lowered more trucks than i care to count and Bamfster nailed it on the head, might want to swap the shocks while doing it since you're already under there and you might wanna replace the sway bar bushings too
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

http://staceydavid.com/projects/knuckle-buster Here is a documented swap on an older 70's chevy, but same basic idea

Comment

4 wheel drive ?

Comment

I wonder if the bit I posted made the move to the new digs?.... I lowered my 81 Chev truck with a 2/4 that was drop spindles, and drop front bracket on the rear..... it was the easiest lowering I've ever done... and worked very well, as it preserved the ride and the carrying capacity .... also really cheap IIRC ~ 200 delivered off ebay. Hardest part was air-hammering off the rivets on the hanger (but that was even pretty easy).... didn't even have to buy new shocks or need to align it because everything moved relative to its stock position.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 14, 2011, 09:22 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Phoneguy View Post
                      For a 4" rear drop it needs new spring hangers and a shackle, just a shackle will drop it about 2". In the front I would use a drop spring if it was me. With spindles you have to trim the a-arm to clear the wheels unless you use wheels larger than 17". I had a 93 I lowered 4/6 and the required a rear flip and a frame notch in the rear and a spindle and a spring for the front. It was a little low for alot or trailer use. If I did it again I would have proably just went 2/2 with a coil and shackle.
                      So, you don't think a 15" wheel will work with a 2" droped spindle? How much do you think I would have to cut/grind on the a/arms?
                      It might just be better to leave the front alone and drop the rear 2".
                      Originally posted by TC
                      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	torch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	856338 i'd never do it that way, but the easiest way I can think of is a torch. I like your spindle/shackle idea, but as far as I can tell you can go 2" with springs? It's the bigger drops that f* up geometry, I don't know that 2" would do it.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel View Post
                          So, you don't think a 15" wheel will work with a 2" droped spindle? How much do you think I would have to cut/grind on the a/arms?
                          It might just be better to leave the front alone and drop the rear 2".
                          You have to trim off the "raingutter" part of the a-arm. It's not terrible it just has to be done so they don't rub on tight turns. I had 17" aluminum wheels on my truck and it needed to be trimmed some with them. Also I don't know if it is true but I heard belltech spindles increase the track width, I used djm spindles on mine.

You could get a rear shackle for now and see how you lime it, they are cheap enough. Worst case you put it back stock or get a 2" spring for the front latter.
                          Last edited by Phoneguy; July 15, 2011, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I ran 15" wheels with a 2" drop spindle... it'll work just fine
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	misc013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	856342
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 15, 2011, 11:09 AM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The front suspension is different on an 88-98 chevy than an 73-87. A 15" wheel will rub the lower a-arm when turning tight without trimming it.

Comment

Working...
                              X