big block chevy spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big block chevy spark plugs

hi I`m new here and have a question about spark plugs,,, i just built my first big block,,its a 454 true 10 1/2 to 1 compression,,, oval port iron heads with bigger rev valves and mild cleanup in the ports,,,they flow the same as edelbrock oval ports,,, 599 lift comp cams solid camand full kit,,, forged crank good rods forged pistons,,, all the safe oiling stuff,,, studded mains all the best gaskets,,, ran 11 30s all last summer without a bunch of timeing (36 total ) no adders i`ve been running 110 octane leaded because i dont want any detonation and the leaded is the freshest gas at our track all summer,,, my plugs have read fine all summer my engine guy has me using ac delco and supplied me with enough for all last season,,, we changed them twice and put roughly 45 runs on the motor my question is what brand and type do most big block guys like to use,,, i want to buy several sets for this season but wanted to get opinions from actual racers and not just the machine shop guy,,, although he seemed to get it right some guys around here say different things

Re: big block chevy spark plugs

A plug's a plug, if what your using is working for you then stay with it.

Put it this way, changing to a different manufactures plug isn't going to give you some "magical" increase in horsepower. And definitely nothing your going to see in ET at the track.

Saying that I use AutoLite or ACdelco, though I put those E3's in my LS1 Camaro and haven't ate an MSD coil since............

Also if your running Nitrous, I always run NGK's.

Comment

plugs do alot of things.
      iron, to platinum to iridium.. I had all three in one engine. a little engine, but gas math is gas math.. an engine is an engine.

the iron is a slow, long dwell, the platinum wants to play with old pre obd 2 convertors, and lose at 10 to 1 or higher (so much for tough).. iridiums are crazy fast- and the toughest on earth... good for fast hot little engines

big block is probably still quite happy with big iron plugs...the oldest design of all. :
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

If the plugs you are using work, keep em. Ya know the old saying about not fixing what ain't broke?

I think spending the dough for 110 octane is overkill for your setup. I run Cali's methanol laiden crap 91 octane with my 10.25:1 454 with iron heads with a little less than 36 degrees of timing. I understand erring on the side of caution, especially when racing. 100 octane is cheaper.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

R45 or R45TS depending on the year of the heads I had

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            R45 or R45TS depending on the year of the heads I had
            I run r45ts.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver