Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You knew it was coming, Pistons??

Originally posted by Tazracing
    IF t.c. 's going for this to the moon rpm wonder.. sell those rods and get shorter ones. no need for the tall deck that
    brings with it. a hole lot of issues

and maybe a reg deck, raised cam (not an issue with a belt drive) that give you shorter pushrods..
    as long as we're spending others money
    Raised cam location is for stoker motors, I won't need that.

As for the rods, I don't think I'll need a tall deck, remember the pin is .355 lower in the hole than a SBC 400 with a 6 inch rod. So that would definitely make up for a .250 crown and still be able to drop the pin another .100.

Also wouldn't the thermal coatings make it so you won't need as thick of a crown??

And a normal piston still has a crown, so how much am I really adding, .150 over a naturally aspirated piston's crown??

And as for the rings wouldn't I go with the normal 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring pack??

Comment

shorter pushrods are your friend

Comment

shorter pushrods are your friend
        They maybe, but do you really think 3/8 of an inch is going to make that big of a difference??

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
          It would be good to keep the pin out of the oil ring.

At a minimum, your piston ought to have the first ring .250 down from the crown, crown thickness at the thinest point should be .200. I've blown out pistons at the valve relief, too thin, so be careful. Mike Lefever stated that his Bonneville engine had the top ring all the way down at .350.

Set up your ring package, then configure the piston. That'll tell you if you need a tall deck to keep the pin out of the oil ring.
          How important is it to keep the pin out of the oil ring?? I know there are lots of people running 406's with the pin in the oil ring and I've never heard of any problems by doing it. Just wondering why it's a bad idea.

Comment

I keep hearing that and wonder too....All our fuel engines are that way and that's not an issue.
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
              I keep hearing that and wonder too....All our fuel engines are that way and that's not an issue.
              And how often do you R&R your fuel engines? Pretty frequently?

If you have the option to not have the pin intersect the oil ring, I'd take it. If not, you have what you have. I don't think its a big issue, I think its a preference.

If you were going to spin this thing, you'd want the longest rod and tallest deck height. The thrust angles are better and should help from scuffing. Look at the rod ratios on F1 cars.

While I think the method of choosing components should begin with specing the piston, then the crank then the rod, you already have two out of the three and have to make the piston fit. With a custom piston and a choose in deck height, you should be able to put together a very solid platform.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                IF t.c. 's going for this to the moon rpm wonder.. sell those rods and get shorter ones. no need for the tall deck that
                brings with it. a hole lot of issues

and maybe a reg deck, raised cam (not an issue with a belt drive) that give you shorter pushrods..
                as long as we're spending others money
                Raised cam location is for stoker motors, I won't need that.

As for the rods, I don't think I'll need a tall deck, remember the pin is .355 lower in the hole than a SBC 400 with a 6 inch rod. So that would definitely make up for a .250 crown and still be able to drop the pin another .100.

Also wouldn't the thermal coatings make it so you won't need as thick of a crown??

And a normal piston still has a crown, so how much am I really adding, .150 over a naturally aspirated piston's crown??

And as for the rings wouldn't I go with the normal 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring pack??
                The reason all this becomes a issue is the strength of the piston overall with the added pressure and you will be lowering the top compression ring to get it away from the heat. A coating while nice, does not add any strenght and does not protect the top ring from heat. Its not about the oil ring its about the compresion rings. and it will have a fuller skirt to stabilize it also to keep from collapsing the piston skirt. all this drives the weight of the piston up and there is not much counter weight on his crank shaft to add mallory metal too

A Piston in a Fuel Motor will have all this built in you I am sure dont use a Ray Barton A/SM N/A piston in it for the same reasons, a N/A piston will be as light as possible with the top ring as high as they can get it.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

how are they getting 900+ out of a turbo ls if you need the ring package that far down..
                  on stock short blocks

Comment

A cup motors piston ring package is not at the same distance as a LS engines

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                      A cup motors piston ring package is not at the same distance as a LS engines
                      ok what does a cup motor have to do with my statement..
                      you're say'n drop the ring package,, and stock block ls engines (you know g.m. factory engines, nothing to do with cup ro9 or ro10)
                      are running turbo's and 900+ hp with the factory rings on factory pistons in a as built on the line short block..

D/g has said there are stock block ls turbo'd engines running around with 900+hp on the cheap..

Comment

What does your statement have to do with this thread?

geez working on your post count again I see, you will type anything to see it on the screen.

Comment

geez working on your post count again I see, you will type anything to see it on the screen.
                          WHAT DOES MY POST HAVE TO DO WITH THIS THREAD,,
                          WELL lets see in one corner ,you and others are telling t.c. the ring package needs to be farther down the piston because of heat,, ok fair enough..
                          but in the other corner we have D/G and reports of stock block g.m. ls engines with turbo's making the same power..
                          now, if these ls stock short blocks don't need a fancy and costly custom piston with rings way down , why would this one..
                          as the ls pistons are not even forged..
                          you don't have an answer so your default is bash me.. ;D

Comment

No one bashed you other than its not a LS post

He has a given set of parts to use so you should stay on line with what he is trying to work with.

In that respect your post as are most is crap there now you have been properly bashed

Comment

WELL lets see in one corner ,you and others are telling t.c. the ring package needs to be farther down the piston because of heat,, ok fair enough..
                              but in the other corner we have D/G and reports of stock block g.m. ls engines with turbo's making the same power..
                              now, if these ls stock short blocks don't need a fancy and costly custom piston with rings way down , why would this one..
                              By the way making 900 HP is way less than TC's motor should make if done correctly he should be over 1400 FWHP if he Turbos it for that.

Comment

jesus, calm the F down

The way you make 900hp on a 5.3 LS is with dedicated, standalone EFI and the right fuel. The better parts mean that the engine will tolerate "issues" a lot more than the stock stuff. Your choice is either upgrade to better parts as you learn turbocharged engine tuning, or you break a lot of OEM stuff while you learn.
                                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                                X